OT: Thread About Nothing 212….wishing it was 2112

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
yep, that 100% a harrison tune……these mashups are done with pitch and tempo shifting among other techniques…sometimes it will sound a bit "off" which i hear on this one

more fun….

this is hillarious…..(you dont have to listen to the whole this to get the idea)

you just got rick-rolled

Something tells me the Sour Milk mashup may have been an inside job. The demo is easy enough to manipulate but the Lomax version has a very prominent vocal. I don’t know how you get rid of it with pro tools.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Something tells me the Sour Milk mashup may have been an inside job. The demo is easy enough to manipulate but the Lomax version has a very prominent vocal. I don’t know how you get rid of it with pro tools.

i listened to the lomax version and it is prominent…. i have my own studio space but no pro tools so i wouldnt know…i got studio one but really havent gotten into that kind of shit like removing vocals from existing tracks

do you use pro tools?

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
You can get rid of the center channel on an audio signal with certain plugins. I've done it with Izotope noise reduction or Fabfilter equalizers (send a copy of the signal that's divided into mid/side channels in parallel with the polarity flipped on the mid channel - the center signal is inverted to its copy and cancels out). You might still hear a ghost of the vocal in reverbs and delays and stuff like that. The bass is usually added back with some filtered version of the mid channel I think.

There are other ways to do it and probably better plugins but that's the rough, DIY version.

My3Sons

Sponsor
i listened to the lomax version and it is prominent…. i have my own studio space but no pro tools so i wouldnt know…i got studio one but really havent gotten into that kind of shit like removing vocals from existing tracks

do you use pro tools?

No I’ve just listened to enough Beatle documentaries that I know they used that for things in recent years. Maybe cleaning up the tape for Free as a Bird and some stuff on Anthology if memory serves.

My3Sons

Sponsor
You can get rid of the center channel on an audio signal with certain plugins. I've done it with Izotope noise reduction or Fabfilter equalizers (send a copy of the signal that's divided into mid/side channels in parallel with the polarity flipped on the mid channel - the center signal is inverted to its copy and cancels out). You might still hear a ghost of the vocal in reverbs and delays and stuff like that. The bass is usually added back with some filtered version of the mid channel I think.

There are other ways to do it and probably better plugins but that's the rough, DIY version.

If you get a chance listen to the original. The vocal is way up and it’s 1968. There were only four tracks on that most likely. The vocal was probably on one alone but in a released mix I just struggle to see it removed without removing most of the backing track which probably had the drums and bass centered as well given the style of the era.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
tape reels….

i use one from the 60's? maybe earlier , i dont know…..it looks like an old blue suitcase you would put an overnight wardrobe in……

its got all the in and out jacks and i sometimes use it for 'end of the world fuzz/distortion' for my guitar...hard to describe right now...

ill try and look up the model online another time..

..but ya 1/4" tape loops are a blast…. like old roland space echos in a way

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
If you get a chance listen to the original. The vocal is way up and it’s 1968. There were only four tracks on that most likely. The vocal was probably on one alone but in a released mix I just struggle to see it removed without removing most of the backing track which probably had the drums and bass centered as well given the style of the era.

The original stereo mix had the drums hard panned, if this link is correct to 1968, right? I remember Geoff Emerick mentions in his memoir that they didn't take stereo mixes seriously so they hard panned drums and bass often and never really tried to go for a natural sounding stereo field. And because they tracked a lot of elements together, the bleed into each mic would make some songs feel "3d" even if the elements were hard-panned to the sides. In that scenario, it's easy to pull out the Lomax vocal and also filter/pan the bass. Bass is easy to pan after the fact with filtering. You isolate the lows and the midrange presence is made up for by the bleed of the bass amp in the drum channel and the guitar/piano channel.

I definitely hear some funny business on the mash-up. George's vocal and the center acoustic guitar are pitched and stretched to fit the tempo obviously. They might've edited the acoustic guitar from the demo in loops and then stretched it to fit each section. But I also hear a tambourine in there that isn't on either mix so there might be some non-original "fake" elements covering stuff up. And all the instruments are EQed and maybe filtered to remove some of the original elements from the source. In general, if you "feel" the left side of the mix in headphones, you'll hear it wrap around your head in a somewhat unnatural way and that's the sign of manipulation (out of phase signal). Funny thing is that you couldn't possibly print the mash-up to vinyl because of those phase issues.

It is pretty wild what you can get up to these days. With Melodyne (tuning/pitch software), you can basically put any song into another and make it sound quite natural.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

The original stereo mix had the drums hard panned, if this link is correct to 1968, right? I remember Geoff Emerick mentions in his memoir that they didn't take stereo mixes seriously so they hard panned drums and bass often and never really tried to go for a natural sounding stereo field. And because they tracked a lot of elements together, the bleed into each mic would make some songs feel "3d" even if the elements were hard-panned to the sides. In that scenario, it's easy to pull out the Lomax vocal and also filter/pan the bass. Bass is easy to pan after the fact with filtering. You isolate the lows and the midrange presence is made up for by the bleed of the bass amp in the drum channel and the guitar/piano channel.

I definitely hear some funny business on the mash-up. George's vocal and the center acoustic guitar are pitched and stretched to fit the tempo obviously. They might've edited the acoustic guitar from the demo in loops and then stretched it to fit each section. But I also hear a tambourine in there that isn't on either mix so there might be some non-original "fake" elements covering stuff up. And all the instruments are EQed and maybe filtered to remove some of the original elements from the source. In general, if you "feel" the left side of the mix in headphones, you'll hear it wrap around your head in a somewhat unnatural way and that's the sign of manipulation (out of phase signal). Funny thing is that you couldn't possibly print the mash-up to vinyl because of those phase issues.

It is pretty wild what you can get up to these days. With Melodyne (tuning/pitch software), you can basically put any song into another and make it sound quite natural.

for sure some out of phase shit on that mash up

sometimes though it works…..peace frog guitar

My3Sons

Sponsor

Thanks for sharing that. It’s funny I read the Emerick book last week. In 1968 they finally started to take the stereo mixes seriously. Before that the Beatles were not part of the process. As for the Sour Milk mashup I’m impressed that it can be done with just a couple of mp3s. Thanks for that deep dive. I was always convinced the results were somewhat too clean and that someone had gotten just the backing track from Apple to then stretch George’s demo vocal over it. Really cool stufff.

Reactions: Oneiro

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
found a video on the old tube reel to reel ….@4:20 shows the input jack …..instead of the mic i line a guitar, turn the machine to full and line out to an old traynor amp (with tubes of course)

@8:30 it shows the outputs but for some reason mine is a bit different and includes a 1/4" jack for a guitar cable

what a sound it makes

http://sportsbil.com/other/Norelco EL3542.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
tape reels….

i use one from the 60's? maybe earlier , i dont know…..it looks like an old blue suitcase you would put an overnight wardrobe in……

its got all the in and out jacks and i sometimes use it for 'end of the world fuzz/distortion' for my guitar...hard to describe right now...

ill try and look up the model online another time..

..but ya 1/4" tape loops are a blast…. like old roland space echos in a way

I was fortunate enough to see the King Crimson iteration with Adrian Belew. I was never a huge King Crimson fan and only familiar with their more well known stuff like Elephant Talk or The Court of the Crimson King and the like, but even though many of the songs escaped me, the musicianship with Tony Levin and I think Bill Bruford on drums was amazing. I remember really enjoying listening to them. Belew and Fripp are two great guitarists who play a great style. I also enjoyed Belew with the Talking Heads. The Crosseyed and Painless on YouTube from Rome is insanely good.

My3Sons

Sponsor
found a video on the old tube reel to reel ….@4:20 shows the input jack …..instead of the mic i line a guitar, turn the machine to full and line out to an old traynor amp (with tubes of course)

@8:30 it shows the outputs but for some reason mine is a bit different and includes a 1/4" jack for a guitar cable

what a sound it makes

http://sportsbil.com/other/Norelco EL3542.pdf

Really, 4:20?

My3Sons

Sponsor
Ok, greasy hair aside, this is my vote for best McCartney song. I know that most prefer Hey Jude but for some reason the transition to the Harrison solo on this really does it for me. I know George played around with the solo and it was one of the last things he did as a Beatle. I think he may have even redone it after I Me Mine when he could have left it alone.

Reactions: Oneiro

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Ok, greasy hair aside, this is my vote for best McCartney song. I know that most prefer Hey Jude but for some reason the transition to the Harrison solo on this really does it for me. I know George played around with the solo and it was one of the last things he did as a Beatle. I think he may have even redone it after I Me Mine when he could have left it alone.

ya, there are 2 different versions (i think) that are commonly heard

My3Sons

Sponsor
ya, there are 2 different versions (i think) that are commonly heard

There's at least the one on the original album, the one on the original single, and the one on Let It Be Naked. I'm sure there must be at least one more on Anthology. As for Let It Be Naked, can you imagine nursing a grudge over one song for over 30 years so badly that you redo an entire album to correct it?

My3Sons

Sponsor
OK, here's another odd one. Steve Miller with McCartney on drums and possibly with bass overdubs and guitar overdubs and maybe some backing vocals. Listen to the early riffs in the song. It was definitely recycled into Fly Like an Eagle. I'm curious if that was Miller's riff or Paul's? Miller and McCartney seem like an odd couple but the story goes that Paul walked into the Miller session at Abbey Road after the other Beatles walked out after an argument. At this point in the Get Back/Let It Be sessions I could see it.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I was fortunate enough to see the King Crimson iteration with Adrian Belew. I was never a huge King Crimson fan and only familiar with their more well known stuff like Elephant Talk or The Court of the Crimson King and the like, but even though many of the songs escaped me, the musicianship with Tony Levin and I think Bill Bruford on drums was amazing. I remember really enjoying listening to them. Belew and Fripp are two great guitarists who play a great style. I also enjoyed Belew with the Talking Heads. The Crosseyed and Painless on YouTube from Rome is insanely good.

that is a good version….and next time you hear once in a lifetime take a conscious effort to notice the bass line…..it never changes all through the song….intro, verses, choruses, outro….yet the rest of the instruments and melodies mask this fact…

ok….speaking of fripp and belew, when you got some time you might want to check this out…its about an hour…i think you'll enjoy it…..

newark's native son….marc ribot…interesting thought and philosophies on music (he also, plays with tom waits at times ...and for good reason)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
OK, here's another odd one. Steve Miller with McCartney on drums and possibly with bass overdubs and guitar overdubs and maybe some backing vocals. Listen to the early riffs in the song. It was definitely recycled into Fly Like an Eagle. I'm curious if that was Miller's riff or Paul's? Miller and McCartney seem like an odd couple but the story goes that Paul walked into the Miller session at Abbey Road after the other Beatles walked out after an argument. At this point in the Get Back/Let It Be sessions I could see it.

i could see/hear BTO covering this and not know it was miller/mac but the eagle riff would give it away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad