Thoughts on the rebuild? PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
We were supposed to have a year dedicated to development

How does losing so much affect young players on the current roster?

After so many losses you gotta think that dressing room is kinda low

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We were supposed to have a year dedicated to development

How does losing so much affect young players on the current roster?

After so many losses you gotta think that dressing room is kinda low
good thing we have minimal kids on the roster... I mean how many players on the roster are part of the rebuild? brannstrom tkatchuk white Chabot............ pageau will be the veteran we keep when were competitive...... and boro as well

Reactions: coladin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
My problem this morning is Dorion said we’d improve with the coaching staff, and the coach was his best move maybe ever and the fans will see the end club turn around.

Don’t make these types of promises or predictions. It’s stupid and it’s not helping.

I thought we’d be bad, it for some reason I thought we’d be better then we are. We are getting spanked everywhere on the ice and the coaches don’t have any answers.

To Dorion - Just zip it on anything that has to do with improving or the team making gains. The #1 complaint from Sens fans after ownership is unrealistic expectations and even though I thought and wanted us to be bad - I’m still disappointed in how bad we really are

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
My problem this morning is Dorion said we’d improve with the coaching staff, and the coach was his best move maybe ever and the fans will see the end club turn around.

Don’t make these types of promises or predictions. It’s stupid and it’s not helping.

I thought we’d be bad, it for some reason I thought we’d be better then we are. We are getting spanked everywhere on the ice and the coaches don’t have any answers.

To Dorion - Just zip it on anything that has to do with improving or the team making gains. The #1 complaint from Sens fans after ownership is unrealistic expectations and even though I thought and wanted us to be bad - I’m still disappointed in how bad we really are

I thought everyone knew this was a last place team. Year one of a complete rebuild, they cant get any worse.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I thought everyone knew this was a last place team. Year one of a complete rebuild, they cant get any worse.

I knew we’d be bad but I thought during games you’d see some flashes from the kids and some growth. This is Ron Hainsey and Chris Tierney leading a last place team. Vomit

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Rebuild is going as expected, not sure why there is so much angst here. It is October 21. Team is 1-6-1, and competitive in most games. The young prospects are in Belleville and with the callups it is clear they will be nice and cozy in Belleville until the TDL. That is the plan, and we are stuck with losing hockey for quite some time. That is how this goes, which is why I didn't want a rebuild. Chances of this rebuild EVEN under all the pretenses that many here want, are slim. So, even if it were an experienced GM, the results would be the same.

Maybe this is why they drafted 20yr olds this year. I think this has to do with identifying players who are further along and thus easing up the logjam that is in Belleville. With all the picks next year, this team is going ot have to move a lot of them , or some of these prospects. Is Kastelic drafted to replace guys like Rodewald and not get in the way of true prospect spots? I am trying to figure out that angle of drafting older kids, like they are trying to stagger things

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Rebuild is going as expected, not sure why there is so much angst here. It is October 21. Team is 1-6-1, and competitive in most games. The young prospects are in Belleville and with the callups it is clear they will be nice and cozy in Belleville until the TDL. That is the plan, and we are stuck with losing hockey for quite some time. That is how this goes, which is why I didn't want a rebuild. Chances of this rebuild EVEN under all the pretenses that many here want, are slim. So, even if it were an experienced GM, the results would be the same.

Maybe this is why they drafted 20yr olds this year. I think this has to do with identifying players who are further along and thus easing up the logjam that is in Belleville. With all the picks next year, this team is going ot have to move a lot of them , or some of these prospects. Is Kastelic drafted to replace guys like Rodewald and not get in the way of true prospect spots? I am trying to figure out that angle of drafting older kids, like they are trying to stagger things

my problem is they spent the summer marketing this unbelievable youth

and where is it?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The start to this season has met my expectations. I am not happy with that, but it is the truth.

A team cannot trade its best D and Fs for lesser players, prospects and picks, and expect to be “vastly improved” or “take a big step forward”.

This team will not be a playoff team for several years. The only thing that comes out of the mouth of the GM is something akin to what emanates out of the hind end of a bull!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

They draft overaged 19 year olds nearly every year.

Novak, Burgess, Boyle, Wolanin, Shore, Leblanc, Kramer, Aneloski, Sdao, Cowick, Sandin, Smith, Lodin, Kastelic, etc.

Not really anything new, I don't think it has any meaning on staggering things

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Not ready. But not to say they will , some of them, end up in Ottawa. Again, it's October

and I’m seeing guys like Davidson, Veronneau, and Abramov get healthy scratched on the farm...that part of the genius development plan your talking about

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
and I’m seeing guys like Davidson, Veronneau, and Abramov get healthy scratched on the farm...that part of the genius development plan your talking about
Have they really been scratching them in favor for guys who really have no future with the team?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Gentlemen....(and ladies), take a deep breath and give yourselves a break. This "rebuild" was completely inevitable even though it was completely unnecessary. You do not...start a rebuild with a team of star players in their prime. We did not sell off aging veterans because they could no longer compete, we traded away young talented players that would and could win now.

Let us not lose focus on the actual reasons behind why we are actually in this situation--money or specifically, a lack of it.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Most interesting part of the season will be at what point Melnyk loses patience with Dorion. Melnyk is not a patient man, and has made some comments in the past to the effect of Dorion needing to prove himself. A last place team playing in a half-empty arena is going to make Dorion's seat feel warm pretty quickly. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him canned after the season.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Most interesting part of the season will be at what point Melnyk loses patience with Dorion. Melnyk is not a patient man, and has made some comments in the past to the effect of Dorion needing to prove himself. A last place team playing in a half-empty arena is going to make Dorion's seat feel warm pretty quickly. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him canned after the season.

Well, Clown (is it permissible for me to refer to Melnyk as Clown from now on?) should realize he forced Poor Dorion into making moves that save Clown money. If he thinks firing Poor and bringing in another GM will help this team win games somehow, then Clown has definitely lost some of his juggling balls.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

and where is it?

You’re first assumption was to believe they meant what they said. The signing of and trading for Leafs’ cast-offs should have been a warning sign.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I cant wait for him to be shown the door. As restrictive as Melnyk is on decision making, Pierre has made horrible decisions. The way he has addressed the fan base and media makes it that much worse.

I also dont understand what people were expecting going into this season with this roster. This is hands down the least talented roster of the salary cap era. All the while the salary cap is creating more parody than ever. Almost all the bad teams got better over the off season, while some of the elite teams that are so far ahead of the sens regressed but it really doesnt matter because the gap is so large.

If this team wins 20 games I will be suprised. I think we should all hope that this just leads to new ownership. I have a friend that works in PR and marketing, the team isnt even providing pens. They are literally using pencils. Its that bad.

and where is it?

I mean all they have done is lied to us and blown smoke up our ass's for the last 2 seasons. Why did you expect that to change all of a sudden? Until there is new ownership this is the standard and if you expect anything else thats really on you.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Personally I think the team has vastly improved in a bunch of ways in on ice play.

The forecheck is vastly improved in my opinion

The intensity level has vastly improved in my opinion

The PK has vastly improved in my opinion.

Our defensive game has gotten better from a system stand point, though the obvious skill deficiency doesn’t help.

The coaching staff has done a good job so far from what I can see, and from what they have to work with.

As for scratching kids in the AHL, they still have to earn their spots there. The coach mentioned that Abramov was scratched because of his consistent carelessness with the puck. He was also praised for other aspects of the game.

Personally I’m glad that the kids are being held accountable in the AHL this year, especially since we all want them to actually develop down there. It would seem to make sense that kids need both the stick and the carrot if we really want an authentic development environment.

I suspect that we’ll see things come together down there, and maybe a move or two to stabilize the back end. One thing is for certain, we’re not in a rush to move any kids up, they have to show that they have earned it, and in the absence of that we have several AHL vets that we can gift a few games to. We aren’t trying to put our absolute best foot forward roster-wise up in the NHL either, so we can afford to give career AHLers their cup of coffee to make a point.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Personally I think the team has vastly improved in a bunch of ways in on ice play.

Our defensive game has gotten better from a system stand point, though the obvious skill deficiency doesn’t help.

The coaching staff has done a good job so far from what I can see, and from what they have to work with.

As for scratching kids in the AHL, they still have to earn their spots there. The coach mentioned that Abramov was scratched because of his consistent carelessness with the puck. He was also praised for other aspects of the game.

Personally I’m glad that the kids are being held accountable in the AHL this year, especially since we all want them to actually develop down there. It would seem to make sense that kids need both the stick and the carrot if we really want an authentic development environment.

I suspect that we’ll see things come together down there, and maybe a move or two to stabilize the back end. One thing is for certain, we’re not in a rush to move any kids up, they have to show that they have earned it, and in the absence of that we have several AHL vets that we can gift a few games to. We aren’t trying to put our absolute best foot forward roster-wise up in the NHL either, so we can afford to give career AHLers their cup of coffee to make a point.
Only PK has improved imo
Stats wise everything else is worst

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Agreed about the forcheck.

A bit too early to tell about intensity; we've had good and bad games, and the same applied last year, but so far so good.

Not so sure about the PK. Goaltending last year was horrendous until Nilsson arrived, and he's been fantastic this year. Andy has also been real strong so far, and I feel that's hidding some of the flaws. The PK last year had ebbs and flows, so the ebbs were definately worse than what we are seeing now, but I think on average it was pretty similar. I guess I might give the advantage to this year because we've been better at finishing on the counter attacks while on the PK.

Defensive system... it looks better so far. But that comes with a big caveat: New coaches will always have a bit of a honeymoon period before opposing coaches have sufficient tape to break down flaws. Boucher's defensive system was working pretty good for a while too, but once coaches figured it out, he was doomed. Hopefully DJ Smith's system is either less easily exploited or more adaptable.

In terms of the coaching staff doing a good job, well I agree they don't have much to work with, but it's hard to give a lot of credit when the team's allowing 36 shots a night and sitting firmly at the bottom of the standings. It could look a lot worse too if we had SJ's goaltending. I don't think it's really fair to judge coaches this early so I'm not blaming them for anything here, I just am hesitant to start handing out credit.

I don't disagree with the kids needing to earn their spots even in the AHL. A healthy scratch isn't the end of the world for a guy like Abramov, so long as it doesn't become the norm.

I do take issue with how we are handling personnel decisions down their though (not lineup decisions). We need Goloubef down their especially with Wolanin injured (he or Brannstrom was expected to start down in the AHL). Having Goloubef ride the pin up with the big club is really hindering Bellevilles chances imo.

I also find it questionable that we've called up Paul, Chlapik, Abramov, Szwars, Beaudin, and Batherson but not Brown. If they want to let the prospects develop uninterrupted, fine but from Brown's perspective it's gotta be pretty demoralizing seeing everyone else get their chance including guys who appear to have more healthy scratches in Belleville than games played while you lead the team in scoring (I know, Batherson is tied in less games).

Idk, maybe it's just that the Dallas game and 2 out of 3 periods of Arizona were some of the worst hockey this team has played in over a decade, but I don't see a lot of improvement, and that's fine. I thought it was unreasonable to expect improvement anyways given the roster turnover and lack of talent.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Things are going exactly as I expected. Some small moral victories I suppose, but mostly just getting caved. We actually might even be a bit better than I thought we'd be.

Our veteran group is absolute hogwash imo, so I don't know how anyone looked at the roster and expected any different than what we're seeing. Worst NHL team in the last 10 years easily imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Only PK has improved imo
Stats wise everything else is worst

I think we're at 80% on the PK this year, and finished last year around 79.11%. Not really a significant difference.

In terms of underlying numbers, I'm hesitant to trust the on-ice numbers given the inconsistancy I've seen from one site to the next, but from what I can tell we are allowing more shots, shot attempts, and unblocked shot attempts this year. expected goal numbers also suggest a worse PK though I understand there are issues with the model to compare this season to previous ones because the NHL changed how it tracked shot location data.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

and where is it?

There is no unbelievable youth coming just like the last 3 or 4 times they brought out this line for PR purposes during budget cuts, the team has like 3 or 4 great pieces and 1 elite piece of a potential hopeful competitive team should some luck and a ton of funding be inserted, because we have earned our owners luck and furthermore because he refuses to invest basically anything at all, this is what we will be treated to until a sale or the team is moved/folded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad