Thoughts on the Jones deal?

Do you like the trade?

• Total voters

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Dach and Boqvists projections are not comparable at this point in their careers. Everything points to Dach having a higher ceiling and floor.

How? Dach has 10 goals and 33 points in 82 NHL games. Boqvist has 6 and 29 in 76 and he's a defenseman.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Do you look at a goalie's PPG when evaluating him as a netminder?

No but I sure as shit look at a centers PPG when evaluating him as a top line center. Toews had 54 points in 64 games as a 19 year old. That screamed top line center.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
Do you think we should trade Dach then? Similar age, hasn't produced like the pick suggests he should.
Dach shows more flashes of his potential in one game than Boqvist does in a month.
Dach didn't really need to show physical development, but has significantly improved the only physical knock on him (his skating) since his draft.
Dach is a half a year younger and in the following draft class. He spent his D+1 season in the NHL, Boqvist spent his D+1 year playing against teenagers.

Like the pick suggested he should? Lets compare to the guys picked right before them. How does Boqvist compare to Quinn Hughes? How does Dach compare to Kakko?

Seriously, this is like the worst argument you could chose.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Dach showed all the promising little things and his flaws to me didn’t stand out nearly as much or as badly as Boqvist.

Biggest concern I have with Dach is that he defers too much, but that’s a mentality issue and something I hope isn’t too difficult to correct.

Biggest concern I have with Boqvist is skating and we’ve all seen how that improvement process has gone with Strome. Boqvist also hasn’t really done anything to show he’s a gym rat like other players to work his ass off to improve his skating. Not to mention it’s reasonable to say there are worries about his defensive play and ability to stay healthy.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
How, he's a .4 PPG player? I want him to be great and he's shown flashes but Bovqist also showed flashes. I'm tired of seeing people act like Bovqist was the finished product but Dach is just a prospect that is still learning. They are almost the exact same age.

I guess you disagree with this, but the entire hockey world values Dach over Boqvist. If this wasn't the case then why did CBJ start their ask with Dach or Debrincat and not start with asking for Boqvist?

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
No but I sure as shit look at a centers PPG when evaluating him as a top line center. Toews had 54 points in 64 games as a 19 year old. That screamed top line center.
Toews also didn't play his first two seasons through a global pandemic. Different coaches, system and structure. The NHL was also a bit different 13-14 years ago.

I get the expectation, but under what circumstances and context? It's not a vacuum and I don't think anyone is expecting Dach to live up to Toews' career.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The odds of Boqvist or any of those draft picks becoming as good as Seth Jones are slim. Unless Boqvist turns into a #1D, and all of those draft picks are home runs, the Hawks win this trade.

People value draft picks way too much over proven NHL talent.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The conversation around Bovqist reminds me of the talk around Teuvo when he got dumped. Not a hard worker, too small, not a top line forward.

the concerns about Boqvist are legit, he cant stay healthy, he's not an elite skater, he's not elite defensively...Seth is going to be a horse for this team, Boqvist might be that kind of player down the road but Seth is that now entering his prime...and Turbo was traded in a cap dump deal, Boqvist brought real value back in return

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
the concerns about Boqvist are legit, he cant stay healthy, he's not an elite skater, he's not elite defensively...Seth is going to be a horse for this team, Boqvist might be that kind of player down the road but Seth is that now entering his prime...and Turbo was traded in a cap dump deal, Boqvist brought real value back in return

then we should trade Dach right? It took couturier 7 seasons to become legit, why wait when we could trade Dach now for someone more ready? That’s essentially the Bovqist argument

Reactions: JaegerDice

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
then we should trade Dach right? It took couturier 7 seasons to become legit, why wait when we could trade Dach now for someone more ready? That’s essentially the Bovqist argument

no its not, I dont think Boqvist has Seth Jones ceiling now or ever...Seth is a 1D two way work horse when he's at his best...Boqvist will be a very offensively talented defenseman that you don't rely on to play 30+ min a night in a 7 game series, imo...Boqvist doesn't fit the prototypical 1D that leads teams to cups, its all a matter of opinion and Boqvist could prove everyone wrong in Columbus, but Seth vs Boqvist over next 5 years will be Seth in my opinion

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
The conversation around Bovqist reminds me of the talk around Teuvo when he got dumped. Not a hard worker, too small, not a top line forward.

It's ok to like Boqvist and project that he's going to be a really good player and still be ok with the trade. Or not ok, as the case may be. If both Boqvist and Dach end up having good careers, awesome. If people genuinely aren't Boqvist fans fine, but there's no need to convince yourself that he's a bad player just because he was traded. With the number of defense slots and the number of good players in the system, the Hawks are going to move some very good new dmen over the next couple of years.

I think the biggest issue with Boqvist was not necessarily his level of talent but time. His game is very raw. It's not fair to expect it to come together by next season and he definitely won't be sliding into playing heavy minutes like Keith did. I think Dach's development is further along which is not unusual in a forward. Go look at the On The Clock episode where Boqvist was picked they were already talking about how behind the curve he was in terms of physical development.

If Boqvist becomes a true 1D, it's not going to be for a few years yet. Timing is everything when it comes to a good team. Patrick Kane is 33. If it takes Boqvist four years to get where he needs to be, well Kane is 37.

Did Bowman make the right choice? Time will tell, but I think there definitely was a choice to be made and there were pros and cons in each scenario.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
An alternate way to look at it is they traded:
  • A former number 8 pick who is an offense only defenseman with a concussion history, who has not developed physically after D+2, and has shown neither the quantity, nor quality of offensive opportunities in 91 professional games (but is only 20). I'm not saying he's a bust, nor he can't develop that offense, but the preceding sentence is just the facts.
  • The number 11 pick in a draft with a large drop off after the 9th pick.
  • The first round pick after a year they are clearly "going for it" which could result in a pick in the 20-ish range (this is where I think a lot of the disagreement in the value of the trade package occurs). After you adjust the value of that # 20-ish pick by netting out the positive value that they received by improving their 44 to 32 this year (which everyone who hates this trade conveniently forgets), and a 6th round pick, that is the equivalent value of the 37th pick.
Not directed at you but your post makes this easier.

Boqvist was considered untouchable or almost that, only weeks before he was traded.

11 pick, Musto(most valued draft guys in here) was promising franchise G.

Next years pick could be anywhere including number 3(as well as 32). This years 32 pick was dog ****, accordingly Musto.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
would you trade dach for boqvist back right now? lets see if we can walk you through this with some of your own logic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad