Thoughts on the Jones deal?

Do you like the trade?

• Total voters

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Makar just signed for 9 million per... personally I’d pay Makar more than Jones.

I hate the whole thing. I think I’d rather keep the 11 and Boq and next years pick and try to sign Jones as an FA next year. This team isn’t going to win the cup
this year so I don’t know why they’d make the trade then pick a god knows who at 32.

I feel like Bowman is terrible at negotiations ffs just let his father handle the negotiating. His father is highly respected and I feel like Stan isn’t respected at all.

Worst case Ontario *facepalm

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I like the trade (and this is coming from one of the biggest Boqvist fans here) but paused at the extension. But at least I wasn't throwing up like I did when Stan gave a 32 year old Brent Seabrook an 8 year, 55 million dollar deal so there's that.

Reactions: Rooh

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
More moves are coming. This trade was absolutely not made in a vacuum. Stan himself said they've coveted Jones for a while.

I think we get a Schmidt or Suter to help eat minutes on the left side and we absolutely go for a goalie to help cushion Lanky.

The price.....is most definitely high. I understand the rationale behind giving up the picks and can live with it, I'm not going to bother speculating on whether Stan was ultimately bidding against himself. Clearly we did have to offer more than a rental would have brought either way and we wanted Seth on this team to start the season.

The contract seems high no doubt. But in 2 years our entire roster consists of Jones and Stillman. We are not in cap hell and all future deals can be made with his contract in consideration. I think we all just have collective PTSD from the past half decade of cap hell and the players we've had to give up because of it.

I was fine with a long term rebuild, and I guess we have been for 3 years now, so the team is going for it and I'm here for it. Let's all buckle up and chase #4, for Toews, Kane, and the whole city of Chicago and the fans all over!

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
If Jones doesn’t regain his form as a #1 Dman and Allan becomes a 3rd pair Defensive-Dman (which seems to be the most likely scenario right now), this could end up being one the most lopsided trades in NHL history. We know what Boqvist has the potential to be, combine that with the kid they got at 12 and a potentially high pick next year….yikes.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I like the deal. We acquired Jones without giving up Dach or DeBrincat

Jones is entering his prime. He plays in every situation. PP, PK, EV, Late Game, Overtime. He does everything.

I hope Boqvist has success but he would never be that type of player.

As for the 1st rounders........they are lottery tickets. Jones is the only established (all star) in the deal.

The team finally has a 1D. That is something it hasn't had since about 2017 when Keith began his slow decline. We also haven't made the playoffs since that time.

I believe the reason for this deal is the accelerated development of the younger players. We saw a lot of good things from DeBrincat, Hagel, Kalynuk, Suter, Kurashev, Lankinen and others. Hopefully Toews is back and Dach will be that much better as well.

If the team can sign the RFA's and add a piece or 2 in free agency the playoffs will be a good bet next year.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
The chances of any of those draft picks given up netting the Hawks a D as good as Jones aren’t great — you’re hoping to just get lucky.

Who thinks the two D (Ceulemans and Lambos) who went after 12 will be better than Jones any time soon? Who thinks the Hawks will find that D in today’s 2nd round? How about mid-to-late teens in next year’s draft?

I don’t really care about the picks given up because I don’t think any are likely to get you a #1 D with them unless you really luck out, and I don’t really like the idea of betting your future on pure luck.

Also, I think you can likely pickup the quality of player that you’d get at 12, in the second, and mid-first through UFA or poaching euro players.

For my evaluation of the deal, it comes down to thinking Boqvist will never be a true top-pairing Dman. I’m not smart enough to make that evaluation myself, but if the entire front office thinks he’ll never reach that point, then you’re basically f***ed unless you go get someone much better. So I get the deal if they truly think Boqvist will never reach the lofty expectations everybody had for him.

Also the “this doesn’t make the Hawks a playoff team” comments make little sense to me. The Hawks have this guy for nine years now, he’s going to be the top D for nine different potential Cup runs. It’s not just about this upcoming season. I feel optimistic about building around Cat, Dach, and Jones.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It’s the mixed messages that piss me off the most. Because Bowman can’t pick a lane we will bounce from being downright bad to a fringe playoff team who would need a miracle run to do any sort of damage.

Reactions: thesaadfather

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Makar just signed for 9 million per... personally I’d pay Makar more than Jones.

I hate the whole thing. I think I’d rather keep the 11 and Boq and next years pick and try to sign Jones as an FA next year. This team isn’t going to win the cup
this year so I don’t know why they’d make the trade then pick a god knows who at 32.

I feel like Bowman is terrible at negotiations ffs just let his father handle the negotiating. His father is highly respected and I feel like Stan isn’t respected at all.

Worst case Ontario *facepalm

UFAs always make more than RFA deals. Just the nature of the beast

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
We are also going to probably be stuck trying to build a team via free agents which never works out well. Doesn’t matter how much cap space we end up with if all our players have to be overpaid to come here.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
It’s the mixed messages that piss me off the most. Because Bowman can’t pick a lane we will bounce from being downright bad to a fringe playoff team who would need a miracle run to do any sort of damage.
“Downright bad” still resulted in the 12th pick though. You aren’t likely to pick up a top defenseman in the draft with that being your basement.

I also think Bowman said multiple times that last year wasn’t the first year of the rebuild, it’s just the first year they’re able to publicly acknowledge it since McD was gone.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Boqvist and 11 is fair value.

Trading our 2022 1st is irresposible.

AAV is horrendous.

Seth Jones doesn't make this a playoff team.
Bowman should have gotten at least a 3rd rd in addition considering he was a UFA next year.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
We are also going to probably be stuck trying to build a team via free agents which never works out well. Doesn’t matter how much cap space we end up with if all our players have to be overpaid to come here.

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Even if it is, we’re talking about bottom-six types.
But for now, I think Nylander, Borgstrom, Hagel, Gaudette, Suter, etc can all provide some relatively cheap bottom-six depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad