Thoughts on Hartman getting jumped after leveling Silfverberg?

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Fine with the play. Just should have been a 4 min PP.

Go after people after a clean hit if you want but it should be a penalty.
That’s my whole point.

If you want to risk putting your team on the PK for reacting to a clean hit then go for it, but those ramifications need to be there.

Hartman made a clean hit during gameplay and then was jumped directly afterward with punches thrown at him. Like I said, should be an immediate 5 and game for that.

Reactions: BrianE

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
Do you know what hockey is? Do you watch it? Things like this happen regularly. Hell, Chara wanted to go after Getz awhile ago and that thread was full of people going after Getz for not fighting.

Your hate for anything Ducks is pretty pathetic.

One person forcing another person to fight is not "hockey", it's called a cheap shot. It's something that should be kept out of the game.
When Scott went after Kessel, did people go after Kessel for not fighting Scott? Of course not.
As for the Getzlaf thing, I think most fans were saying that Getzlaf was lucky the refs stepped in because Chara would of killed him. If what your saying was true, the refs shouldn't have stepped in and Chara would have proceeded to rearrange his face. Of course we don't want that. If Getz is unwilling to fight, that should be the end of it.

There is no expectation for anyone to have to fight for any hit. Does that make some people hate certain players? Of course, look at Emelin. But there is literally nothing do you can do about someone not wanting to fight.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
One person forcing another person to fight is not "hockey", it's called a cheap shot. It's something that should be kept out of the game.
When Scott went after Kessel, did people go after Kessel for not fighting Scott? Of course not.

There is no expectation for anyone to have to fight for any hit. Does that make some people hate certain players? Of course, look at Emelin. But there is literally nothing do you can do about someone not wanting to fight.
Manson didn’t force Hartman to do anything. Manson jumped him for a heavy hit; Silf has already had concussions issues plus hockey is a fast sport, so Manson probably saw the hit and thought it was bad so he went to defend his teammate. Once he saw Hartman wasn’t going to fight, he stopped.

Stuff like this happens regularly, with the speed of the game and the mindset of protecting your teammates, it’s just going to happen.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
As for the Getzlaf thing, I think most fans were saying that Getzlaf was lucky the refs stepped in because Chara would of killed him. If what your saying was true, the refs shouldn't have stepped in and Chara would have proceeded to rearrange his face. Of course we don't want that. If Getz is unwilling to fight, that should be the end of it.

He didn't force him to fight.

And he didn't keep swinging when he realized Hartman wasn't willing to.

So he spent a few minutes in the box, and that's it. The league has made no attempt at all to get that out of the game, except when a player continues to attack.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Nah man, Cogs a total goon now. The next Torres/Cooke.

Amazing how his reputation changes so quick after one incident but Brown remains a clean player after many incidents and he is just unfortunate to have some "bad timing".

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
there is no hitting allowed anymore so it was expected he got jumped by all them

how dare a person do a perfect open ice hit in a contact sport

Tsk tsk. It's not a "perfect open ice hit" it's a "liberty", and the person who thinks a "liberty" has been taken is infallible and their judgment is binding under pain of sucker punch. And what do you mean by anymore? A "liberty" is a "liberty" and standards certainly haven't changed

Last edited:

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
if hartman rubs silf out in the corner, no one says peep. if he takes the same run at a bottom 6 forward, THEY might go but they might not. if they dont go, then likely no one goes.

If the premise is that players collectively agree that should you be perceived to be taking liberties on the ice that your right to refuse to settle is revoked, then it comes down to " was hit X clean ?" The players dont get to look at screen shots or collectively huddle to decide what the response ( if any ) will be. so they make decisions, some right, some wrong. if its a 50/50 hit on your teamate and you go what are the chances said teamate appreciates your choice ? What if you simply let it be ? so chances are, on a bordeline hits someone is going to interpret it as taking liberties and try to settle accounts.
how this continues to surprise people is beyond me.

I'm not saying Manson forced Hartman to fight.
But when some fans have an opinion and expectations of, "your right to refuse is revoked", yes, that is forcing someone to fight which is both alarming and stupid.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Manson should receive a 10 game suspension. He fights someone for absolutely no reason (super clean hit) and continues to viciously throw punches at Hartman who clearly doesn't want to fight. And he shouldn't have to fight.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
Manson should receive a 10 game suspension. He fights someone for absolutely no reason (super clean hit) and continues to viciously throw punches at Hartman who clearly doesn't want to fight. And he shouldn't have to fight.

This is laughable.

He threw 3 punches and then stopped once he realized Hartman didn't want to then just swung him around. 10 games for that?

Have you seen the suspensions people get for headshots/kneeing/etc? A lot less than 10 games.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I love violent hockey and fighting more than most, but this is a bit much. Silferberg is no superstar so there is no need to back up a hit on him if it was clean. Unless it is a dirty hit or a huge hit on either Getzlaf or Rakell no fights are necessary.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Yeah, no. That isn't what happened at all.

What actually happened was he wanted to fight someone who he felt took a liberty on a teammate, and he stopped throwing when he realized his opponent wasn't interested.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I love violent hockey and fighting more than most, but this is a bit much. Silferberg is no superstar so there is no need to back up a hit on him if it was clean. Unless it is a dirty hit or a huge hit on either Getzlaf or Rakell no fights are necessary.

Who cares if Silfverberg is a superstar? He's a well-liked teammate.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada

Ok so dirty or not, you need to be a superstar for teammates to have your back. Us Ducks fans will message Manson on Instagram or Twitter to make sure he knows for next time.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ok so dirty or not, you need to be a superstar for teammates to have your back. Us Ducks fans will message Manson on Instagram or Twitter to make sure he knows for next time.

Pretty sure he'd tell us to screw off, and he'd be right to.

Reactions: Mallard

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Who cares if Silfverberg is a superstar? He's a well-liked teammate.
Yes but if you are going to fight everytime someone "likable" gets hit you'd have a busy night. Look at hockey back in the good old violent days when it was actually a tough sport. No one would attack you for a clean hit unless it was on a superstar. If it is a knee on knee fine. Or if a guy has taken runs all night long. But for this?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Yes but if you are going to fight everytime someone "likable" gets hit you'd have a busy night. Look at hockey back in the good old violent days when it was actually a tough sport. No one would attack you for a clean hit unless it was on a superstar. If it is a knee on knee fine. Or if a guy has taken runs all night long. But for this?

None of that applies to the game today. You stand up for teammates.

I'm not big on the fighting after a clean hit, and I've said that, but it's a pattern in the NHL right now. As for the rest, I'd want Manson to stand up for any player in an Anaheim uniform.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
None of that applies to the game today. You stand up for teammates.

I'm not big on the fighting after a clean hit, and I've said that, but it's a pattern in the NHL right now. As for the rest, I'd want Manson to stand up for any player in an Anaheim uniform.
Look at the Konstantinov hit above. Great hit, nobody fights him even if that was one of the worst rivalries. I love fighting and want it to stay, the problem is that if they are going to go after every guy throwing a nice hit, there are going to be less nice hits and people are going to whine fighting out of the game.

Manson should admire a nice hit and Silfverberg should keep his head up.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
No, it's hockey, and if you played you'd understand that. You may not agree with it, but you'd understand it.

There is nothing psychotic about what Manson did. That's just a childish attack because he's a rival player. When he realized that Hartman wasn't a willing combatant, he stopped.

If there was mental gymnastics in the Olympics youd take gold every time.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Don't even really care about the response. If you want to put your team in the hole in a 2-2 game, go ahead. They can't call the game right, which is was pissed me off.

If they call it right, then I'm fine with it. Any player that wants to put their team short a man for 4-5 minutes in a tie game, be my guest.

Should have easily been a double minor. Hartman did nothing.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Don't even really care about the response. If you want to put your team in the hole in a 2-2 game, go ahead. They can't call the game right, which is was pissed me off.

If they call it right, then I'm fine with it. Any player that wants to put their team short a man for 4-5 minutes in a tie game, be my guest.

Should have easily been a double minor. Hartman did nothing.
I thibk everyone agrees with that, duck fans felt refs made wrong call.

Reactions: BrianE and TLEH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad