Thoughts on Hartman getting jumped after leveling Silfverberg?

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
If you say so, but that isn’t how it’s ever been treated.
Oh this critique isn't just towards Montour. It's the culture of guys jumping someone for throwing a textbook clean it.

Did anyone grow up watching Don Cherry's Rockem Sockem movies??? hits like this were a common occurrence and the play just continued!

Reactions: 4thline

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
So you intend to voice your displeasure by doing something you could do at anytime, anyways.

Yeah that sends a real strong message. You must be a peach of a teamate. Guy takes liberties against one of your own and you look at the scoreboard to decide whether you should respond then or at some later time at your convenience.

The idea of standing up for a teamate is that you are expressing your discontent there and then. You do it later by doing something you could have done has there been no liberties taken, what message does that send?

Don't answer it, everyone knows.

I DONT GET IT. Taking liberties is not throwing a clean hit! Taking liberties is a cheap shot. An open ice body check that doesn't target the head is not taking liberties. Jeez what happened to the male gender?

Reactions: Chrisinroch

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
So you intend to voice your displeasure by doing something you could do at anytime, anyways.

Yeah that sends a real strong message. You must be a peach of a teamate. Guy takes liberties against one of your own and you look at the scoreboard to decide whether you should respond then or at some later time at your convenience.

The idea of standing up for a teamate is that you are expressing your discontent there and then. You do it later by doing something you could have done has there been no liberties taken, what message does that send?

Don't answer it, everyone knows.
This is a prime example of the wussification of hockey. When delivering a clean hard hit is considered taking liberties. While NFL, Rugby, and lacrosse players can take a hit like a man, and get up for the next play.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I DONT GET IT. Taking liberties is not throwing a clean hit! Taking liberties is a cheap shot. An open ice body check that doesn't target the head is not taking liberties. Jeez what happened to the male gender?
You are right you don't get it. People view things differently,especially without the benefit of instant replay.
Whether the hit was clean or not it was certainly close to the line ( which varies person to person). Manson, clearly didn't like the hit.
If there is something to lament, it's that Manson didn't use his device to stop time , skate to the bench, log on to of hfboards and make sure he got your impression of the hit before restarting time and acting accordingly in order to please you.

I mean, what a slacker.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
This is a prime example of the wussification of hockey. When delivering a clean hard hit is considered taking liberties. While NFL, Rugby, and lacrosse players can take a hit like a man, and get up for the next play.
Nfl players gouge eyes bite and bend fingers and stomp on players wearing cleats. That's who you want to emulate?

Quelle surprise.

And if you want to go back to earlier times where everyone is responsible for their own protection, I'm fine with that but what do you have against the small talented softies who couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag.

Manson saw a hit on a teamate he didn't like and did the right thing and stood up for talent. And all you Helen lovejoy's go crazy. Hfboards typical.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
Nfl players gouge eyes bite and bend fingers and stomp on players wearing cleats. That's who you want to emulate?

Quelle surprise.

And if you want to go back to earlier times where everyone is responsible for their own protection, I'm fine with that but what do you have against the small talented softies who couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag.

Manson saw a hit on a teamate he didn't like and did the right thing and stood up for talent. And all you Helen lovejoy's go crazy. Hfboards typical.
Dirty plays are dirty plays. The exact same thing has happened in hockey, don't be ignorant.

Even then, those don't occur just because a player doesn't like a certain hit. Manson, acted like a mental midget and got his team a penalty.

Nothing holds a candle to the idea of coming to the defense of someone that was just the victim of a clean hit in a sport that tells you upfront that you could be the victim of a clean hit. Therefore those small talented softies should play another sport.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Dirty plays are dirty plays. The exact same thing has happened in hockey, don't be ignorant.

Even then, those don't occur just because a player doesn't like a certain hit. Manson, acted like a mental midget and got his team a penalty.

Nothing holds a candle to the idea of coming to the defense of someone that was just the victim of a clean hit in a sport that tells you upfront that you could be the victim of a clean hit. Therefore those small talented softies should play another sport.
Ooooh he got his team a penalty! Ooooh the horrors!

He also stood up for a teamate. Fair trade.

There are guys in the league right now who, if left to their own abilities would be incapable of defending themselves from many other players. So protection is provided by proxy. You take runs at talent, clean or not, you set things into motion you can't cry about it later. Silf is no gretz and Mason is no Marty but mcsorely didn't give two craps if a hit on gretz was clean.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I can't stand seeing a guy getting jumped because of a good clean hit. I dont care if it's one of your stars. Its a physical game if you can't take the heat then get out if the kitchen. If the hit was dirty then by all means send a message.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
You are right you don't get it. People view things differently,especially without the benefit of instant replay.
Whether the hit was clean or not it was certainly close to the line ( which varies person to person). Manson, clearly didn't like the hit.
If there is something to lament, it's that Manson didn't use his device to stop time , skate to the bench, log on to of hfboards and make sure he got your impression of the hit before restarting time and acting accordingly in order to please you.

I mean, what a slacker.

You are clearly new to playing or watching hockey. Because this didn't happen 20 years ago.

Also, who the heck skates through the center of the ice with their head down? Too bad players weren't allowed to target the head cuz he certainly woulda' deserved it.

TheSituation

Dec 26, 2007
New York City
Ooooh he got his team a penalty! Ooooh the horrors!

He also stood up for a teamate. Fair trade.

There are guys in the league right now who, if left to their own abilities would be incapable of defending themselves from many other players. So protection is provided by proxy. You take runs at talent, clean or not, you set things into motion you can't cry about it later. Silf is no gretz and Mason is no Marty but mcsorely didn't give two craps if a hit on gretz was clean.

Manson coming after me really put things in perspective," Hartman said as he stared longingly in the distance, contemplating his existence and the meaning of all things. "When I hit Silf, I didn't consider the consequences. I didn't think about what I was taking from him—his balance, his health, but most importantly, his honor. Josh trying to fight me was enough to convince me that I should never do that again. Thank you, Josh. You did a great thing not just for your teammate, but for me.

Said no one ever.

Fake quote stolen from Vice sports, but the point stands. Hockey, the only sport that needs chivalry.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
To sum up:
Throwing a clean hit and not feeling the need to fight =Rat
Throwing a tantrum with a blocker and hiding behind the code given protection to goalies = Good (No hypocrisy there)
Sucker punching = Good
Accountability for the sake of accountability is what's most important, it doesn't matter what someone is being held accountable for, the offended player is always right regardless of how soft they're being.
There is no such thing as an appropriately scaled reaction/ discretion based on the seriousness of the offence. Clean hits = running the goalie= assassinating and urinating on the coaches mother.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

LOL - It was certainly not close to the line at all.

Any knowledgeable hockey fan (without their home team glasses on) can easily see that this check was clean (to the chest / shoulder - not the head). - at live game speed, and certainly in replays

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
I cannot believe the refs allowed three people to jump him and didn't hand out instigators or roughing penalties. In this league you can get punished for playing the game according to the rulebook, and people throwing driveby elbows at your head are considered part of the game.

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
People who continually assert that fighting after clean hits is some new phenomenon are either lying about watching hockey in the 80s and 90s or are just parroting people who are. This has always been the norm. It's actually become less frequent as "take his number" became more of a mantra after the explosion of boring systems hockey in the late 90s.

Just stop already.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
LOL - It was certainly not close to the line at all.

Any knowledgeable hockey fan (without their home team glasses on) can easily see that this check was clean (to the chest / shoulder - not the head). - at live game speed, and certainly in replays

you saw it from the ice, in real time with no replays and then declared it clean ? you are a nhl player, what the hell are you doing posting here ?

hey clouseau, manson didnt have access to replays before having to decide whether to stand up for talent. he made a choice that you would not have from your barkalounger after watching the replays. Ooooh the horrors ! people actually have different interpretations of things that happen at high speed when they don't get to zapruter them.

if it was a normal rub out, this doesnt occur. It was a big hit from a 4th line pest on talent. Geez who would have thought that the ducks might take offense ? perhaps people who dont watch a lot of games ?

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
you saw it from the ice, in real time with no replays and then declared it clean ?

if it was a normal rub out, this doesnt occur. It was a big hit from a 4th line pest on talent. Geez who would have thought that the ducks might take offense ? perhaps people who dont watch a lot of games ?

Was it a clean hit? Okay then... :confused:

And it really doesn't matter who hits whom, does it? :huh:

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017

I mean, what a slacker.

That hit is nowhere near the line to anyone who knows what they are looking at. Clean the sand out of your vagina.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
You are clearly new to playing or watching hockey. Because this didn't happen 20 years ago.

Also, who the heck skates through the center of the ice with their head down? Too bad players weren't allowed to target the head cuz he certainly woulda' deserved it.

The game is massively different from 20 years ago, no point even bringing it up.

Then you followed up that first irrelevant paragraph by wishing injury on Silfverberg. *slow clap*

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
That hit is nowhere near the line to anyone who knows what they are looking at. Clean the sand out of your vagina.

Did the Ducks have the benefit of a slow motion replay as the hit happened?

The overreaction in this thread is far greater than Mansons was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad