Thomas Chabot - The league's newest super star D-man?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
My point is, that in a thread talking a lot about his point totals, there was no mention that he's been a bit on the lucky side. That should be mentioned. No more and no less. Unless you're arguing he's directly responsible and can maintain the 15% on ice shooting percentage and 66% 2nd assist rate, i'm not sure why you're getting so disgruntled.

Me noting the fact that he's getting a lot of secondary assists isn't even negative, it just is. It's a fact. A fact that that historically has shown to be unsustainable, but the flip side of that is if his primary point percentage was in the normal range he'd still have 8-11 points and on pace for 50+ points. Heaven forbid i disparage him by pointing out he's probably 50+ point D long term and not a 80 point D.

This is the most of thought about Chabot in my life, and it seems like enough for now.

I'll just say, in the future, maybe don't come to the main board with threads if you can't handle people critically thinking about them, instead of just blowing rainbows up their bums.

I didnt see you make that point until just now.. Your entire 1 sentence first post was a bit vague...

And now that you've made a real point, you wont get anyone disagreeing with you on that either.. So heaven forbid I take exception to the point that puck luck is the only reason he has a thread on the main boards, and not his exceptional play.

I'll accept critisim of him when its valid. But people for many years also tried (and failed) to discredit Karlsson on the basis of him racking up lots of secondary assists, and its always been a completely dumb argument that I will never give the time of day to.

He is a dman. Most hockey fans will understand that Dmen are going to get more more secondary assists due to the nature of the position. If he was a forward this argument could have some merit, but even then, probably not much...

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
My point is, that in a thread talking a lot about his point totals, there was no mention that he's been a bit on the lucky side. That should be mentioned. No more and no less.

He's on a 100+ point pace and he's been a bit on the lucky side? Thanks, tips. Never would have been able to figure that out if not for your diligent work at bringing this to our attention.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He's on a 100+ point pace and he's been a bit on the lucky side? Thanks, tips. Never would have been able to figure that out if not for your diligent work at bringing this to our attention.

:laugh: and not to mention that it HAS been mentioned on more than a few occasions that this scoring rate is not going to continue...

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Part of me isn't really surprised at anything other than it's apparently happening so fast. Watching him at that WJC and after was something else. Utterly dominant. I figured he'd be a real good top pairing guy at the NHL level since he can do it all, but I figured he wouldn't have the "adult strength" to make an impact so soon.

I'm sure he'll tail off a bit this year--the NHL season is a marathon--but glimpses of the future here at least.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Part of me isn't really surprised at anything other than it's apparently happening so fast. Watching him at that WJC and after was something else. Utterly dominant. I figured he'd be a real good top pairing guy at the NHL level since he can do it all, but I figured he wouldn't have the "adult strength" to make an impact so soon.

I'm sure he'll tail off a bit this year--the NHL season is a marathon--but glimpses of the future here at least.

Best post in this thread by far :thumbu:

What surprises me is the amount of people (lots of them Sens fans) are wondering what the Sens D could have done with both him and Karlsson patrolling the blue line.

While the thought of it is tantalizing of course, I just dont see this kind of rapid development happening without EK leaving the team. And playing in his shadow would have hampered his potential and growth imo.

And beyond that, even though you could have theoretically paired them together, Karlsson is a bit of a one man show and thrives better with a defensive guy (like a Methot) to cover his ass while he's going up ice. His partners dont get a lot of touches on the puck when hes playing his game.

Im sure we could have made it work, and the Sens like every team would be better with Karlsson on it, but you simply cant praise Chabot enough for making the most of the opportunity that hes be given. And EK leaving was a great thing for Chabot and his development.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Best post in this thread by far :thumbu:

What surprises me is the amount of people (lots of them Sens fans) are wondering what the Sens D could have done with both him and Karlsson patrolling the blue line.

While the thought of it is tantalizing of course, I just dont see this kind of rapid development happening without EK leaving the team. And playing in his shadow would have hampered his potential and growth imo.

And beyond that, even though you could have theoretically paired them together, Karlsson is a bit of a one man show and thrives better with a defensive guy (like a Methot) to cover his ass while he's going up ice. His partners dont get a lot of touches on the puck when hes playing his game.

Im sure we could have made it work, and the Sens like every team would be better with Karlsson on it, but you simply cant praise Chabot enough for making the most of the opportunity that hes be given. And EK leaving was a great thing for Chabot and his development.

They already showed some chemsitry working together and the best part about having both on the same team would have been the ability to have one of them on for like 80 percent of the game.

I definitely would have given them each one pairing and play them together when needing a goal late.

A lot of the gains Chabot is already making are probably boosted by having been mentored by Karlsson in his rookie season.

Just like how Gonchar mentored a young Karlsson.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

sadpanda

May 19, 2016
Stockholm
Was high on him before. Kinda forgot him for a while, hard with all this talent coming into the league, I guess.

Hoping he can keep it up!

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Well until proven otherwise there are many. Hes played 12 games 9f high end end hockey. There are dmen out there with 2+ seasons of high end play from his draft class. 4 of them to be exact.

I wouldn't say any of them outside of Werenski and Provorov have been "high end"

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I wouldn't say any of them outside of Werenski and Provorov have been "high end"
Hanifin has been decent. Stints of it for sure. I dont know much of carlo but Bruins fans tout him as top pairing already.

Regardless, kind of hard to argue the guy who said he hasnt been best of draft class is wrong.

Stacked draft that year.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Well until proven otherwise there are many. Hes played 12 games 9f high end end hockey. There are dmen out there with 2+ seasons of high end play from his draft class. 4 of them to be exact.

I'm curious as to which 4 you're talking about?

Provorov and Werenski definitely have a more proven track record thus far. Hanifin hasn't really lived up to the hype since being drafted though. Who's the 4th? Travis Dermott? Vince Dunn? Zboril? I find it very hard to rank chabot 5th at this point in time let alone lower than 3rd...

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I'm curious as to which 4 you're talking about?

Provorov and Werenski definitely have a more proven track record thus far. Hanifin hasn't really lived up to the hype since being drafted though. Who's the 4th? Travis Dermott? Vince Dunn? Zboril? I find it very hard to rank chabot 5th at this point in time let alone lower than 3rd...
Hanifin has struggled with injury but shown flashes of brilliance at times.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
If he is as good as he has shown this year, then he will be traded within the next 3 or 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad