Thomas Chabot - The league's newest super star D-man?

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I don't think he is there yet, but he certainly has all the tools to get there and I think that was the public opinion of him as well? Always thought of him as a low risk high reward prospect and so did most of the people I talked too.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Realistically he is nowhere near Karlsson or Klingberg. Maybe if he can keep it up for 2 years.

Realistically, Chabot is way ahead of where Karlsson and Klingberg were in their second pro seasons, so its not a stretch at all to suggest that he's well on his way to getting to that level.

His production is currently better than both of them, while playing on a far less talented team. He's been outright better than Karlsson so far through 12 games (minus 10), and that is more of a fact than an opinion at this point.

Until he falls off this fast rising cloud that he's on, which everyone is eventually expecting will happen to some degree (and I would concur with that), his current level of play is absolutely "near" Klingberg and Karlsson.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yep he has been very good for us,but I cant see anyone really too surprised... We all saw him at the WJC,and after his very solid first 60 games...

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
It’s only been 12 games, but it’s tough not to get excited. I thought he’d struggle being thrusted into the 1D role but he has flat out dominated on both sides of the puck. If he can keep up this level of play there’s a solid chance he could be the top scoring Dman this year, and you know what that means... it’s Norris time for Chabot baby!

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He's the only defenseman to ever the WJC MVP award.

He looked pretty look last year too. He had as many goals as Karlsson did last season.... as a rookie, lol.

He just flew under the radar because of the Sens terrible season.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's going to look good when he's interviewing Eugene Melnyk next off-season

Reactions: NyQuil

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
He's really fun to watch. One of those players that when he's on the ice you want him to get the puck just to see what's gonna happen.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
When you are all over the ice dominating you tend to be good at collecting 2nd assists.

Maybe. Or maybe he's had quite a bit of luck.

Sounds like someone is jealous :laugh:

Not particularly. Just seems noteworthy to mention given he's getting Karlsson comparisons with only 33% of his points being primary in this extremely small sample size. Karlsson for reference was usually 60% or more primary points. He's a good young defensemen riding a 15% on ice shooting percentage inflating his points. It's ok to acknowledge that, and it hadn't really been mentioned into the third page of the thread.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I knew that somebody would be "that guy" who stupidly points out secondary assists...

But I would have never guessed that it would literally be "ThatGuy" who did it lol :laugh:

What can I say, someone's got to do it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
When it's a stupid point (last time I check secondary assists counted), no one is obligated to say it...
They count in the NHL record books.

They aren't necessarily repeatable or an indication of a player's value and are subject to randomness much more than primary points.

But hey, he's your player. If you think he can maintain that 2nd assist rate who am I to argue.

Just seems awfully silly to me that for the past 5 years anytime someone was suggested to be in Karlsson's tier as a player Sens fans have jumped down the throat of whomever suggested that. But now 12 games into not having Karlsson there is a player approaching that tier...

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
They count in the NHL record books.

They aren't necessarily repeatable or an indication of a player's value and are subject to randomness much more than primary points.

But hey, he's your player. If you think he can maintain that 2nd assist rate who am I to argue.

Just seems awfully silly to me that for the past 5 years anytime someone was suggested to be in Karlsson's tier as a player Sens fans have jumped down the throat of whomever suggested that. But now 12 games into not having Karlsson there is a player approaching that tier...

I don't know why Chabots early success is so hurtful to you. We are simply talking about his great start,and how it compares with some of the best dmen in the league.

No one expects him to put up 100 points this year, or be at Karlssons level yet.

But you seem especially hurt that people are talking about him, for some reason. And are trying to discredit him on a fluff point.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't know why Chabots early success is so hurtful to you. We are simply talking about his great start,and how it compares with some of the best dmen in the league.

No one expects him to put up 100 points this year, or be at Karlssons level yet.

But you seem especially hurt that people are talking about him, for some reason. And are trying to discredit him on a fluff point.

Or you're overly sensitive and defensive?

I'm a Wild fan. Have no particular vendetta against the Senators or Chabot who are irrelevant to my fandom, practically speaking.

If you want to brag up your boy on the Sens board with no one taking a deeper look, by all means.

But you posted on the main board, and even had a comment about "take your head out of the sand and look at any stat". Well when you do, there are a couple indicators he's got a bit of a horseshoe up his bum at the moment, and the points he's earned are impacted by that. That's worth mentioning in a thread about him.

Doesn't mean he's not a good or great young player. It's just worth mentioning.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Or you're overly sensitive and defensive?

I'm a Wild fan. Have no particular vendetta against the Senators or Chabot who are irrelevant to my fandom, practically speaking.

If you want to brag up your boy on the Sens board with no one taking a deeper look, by all means.

But you posted on the main board, and even had a comment about "take your head out of the sand and look at any stat". Well when you do, there are a couple indicators he's got a bit of a horseshoe up his bum at the moment, and the points he's earned are impacted by that. That's worth mentioning in a thread about him.

Doesn't mean he's not a good or great young player. It's just worth mentioning.

I guess my point is that if you've actually watched him play, he has been every bit as good as his stat line would indicate. He's very reliable defensively and used in all situations, probably considered by most Sens fans as our best defender already.

He's our best guy on the breakout, and he's running a powerplay thats been far more effective than the one Karlsson has been running for the last 3 years.

If your point is that he's just getting lucky touches on the puck, your grasping at straws. In Chabot's case, the eye test is most certainly in line with the results hes had so far. Thats why this thread was created and why most people seem to agree that hes really damn good, and its also no surprise that it took 3 pages for some uniformed person to make a negative point about him.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I guess my point is that if you've actually watched him play, he has been every bit as good as his stat line would indicate. He's very reliable defensively and used in all situations, probably considered by most Sens fans as our best defender already.

He's our best guy on the breakout, and he's running a powerplay thats been far more effective than the one Karlsson has been running for the last 3 years.

If your point is that he's just getting lucky touches on the puck, your grasping at straws. In Chabot's case, the eye test is most certainly in line with the results hes had so far. Thats why this thread was created and why most people seem to agree that hes really damn good, and its also no surprise that it took 3 pages for some uniformed person to make a negative point about him.

My point is, that in a thread talking a lot about his point totals, there was no mention that he's been a bit on the lucky side. That should be mentioned. No more and no less. Unless you're arguing he's directly responsible and can maintain the 15% on ice shooting percentage and 66% 2nd assist rate, i'm not sure why you're getting so disgruntled.

Me noting the fact that he's getting a lot of secondary assists isn't even negative, it just is. It's a fact. A fact that that historically has shown to be unsustainable, but the flip side of that is if his primary point percentage was in the normal range he'd still have 8-11 points and on pace for 50+ points. Heaven forbid i disparage him by pointing out he's probably 50+ point D long term and not a 80 point D.

This is the most of thought about Chabot in my life, and it seems like enough for now.

I'll just say, in the future, maybe don't come to the main board with threads if you can't handle people critically thinking about them, instead of just blowing rainbows up their bums.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad