Thomas Chabot - The league's newest super star D-man?

Monaakko

Oct 8, 2011
Finland
Ok i am starting to think that his Ottawa **** is because they are playing full on "who gives a **** lets attack" hockey and somebody needs to score the points. Lots of players on that team are about to get overrated. The players who are doing well ARE good players, but not as good as it looks like right now.
I feel the same way. Chabot is currently 3rd in total shot attempts for, but 1st (by quite some margin) in shot attempts against. In fact all of Ottawas defensemen are in the top (as in most attempts against) 30 in Shot attempts against/60 for defensemen and four of them are in the top 8 (including Chabot). I'd worry a great deal about throwing money at Duchene based on this season. The only players that seem to have decent underlying stats are Stone and Tkachuk (both with somewhat high oiSh%, though). That said, Chabot compares favourably to the rest of the team. In any case Ottawa is in dire need of more structure in their game, bleeding shot attempts against like this isn't conducive to winning games, exciting though it may be.

Reactions: Paul Maurice

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Chabot looks about as good if not a little better than EK did at the same age. His production is absolutely not a byproduct of Ottawa's system. Give me a break.

Reactions: SensFactor

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
Laugh my ****ing ass off at posters claiming he's a product of the system. The sens don't have an established system. They're a ****show. Keep up the spin job folks

it's like the sens's can't have nice things. when someone plays well 'oh its because of the system', 'oh he get's so much toi'. don't seem to hear that excuse for morgan rielly ('oh he plays with matthews/tavares/marner').

chabot has 22 5 on 5 points. it's not like he's benefiting from the pp or something. he's doing it all by himself.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Chabot's skill has been on display since the juniors. Most dominant World Juniors performance by a Canadian defenseman. It's really not THAT surprising... it's just the fact that he's been able to do it in his 2nd season that makes it astonishing.

Hindsight. It's very surprising and nobody expected Chabot to be even half the player he's being right now.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hindsight. It's very surprising and nobody expected Chabot to be even half the player he's being right now.

Then the joke is on you, lol.

Chabot was MVP and best defender in entire CHL playing just 35 games 2 years ago. He followed it with an unreal post season. He was then the first defender ever to win MVP of world juniors as a defender; putting up a performance for the ages--both ends of the ice. Next year he put up 30 points in his rookie season behind EK, very similar first season numbers to EK.

If there was any defender prospect, who was most likely to succeed and explode, it was Chabot.

Yet you thought its surprising and nobody expected Chabot to be HALF the player he is? Lmfao you're living under a rock then. It's ok if you shocked he's scoring PPG but to think he cant be scoring 14-15 points(46 point pace) so far lol.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I don’t think he’s a star quite yet. Borderline to low end #1 for now. Certainly has star potential however. We will have to see how he does for the rest of the season.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Chabot is 20 yrs old. He's only going to get better as he files out.

21, actually, and soon to be 22.

His coming out party shouldn't really be surprising.

What is surprising is how effective he's been, and the fact that he's driving offence but himself and not relying on others. That's the true test of a star.

Reactions: SensFactor

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I don’t think he’s a star quite yet. Borderline to low end #1 for now. Certainly has star potential however. We will have to see how he does for the rest of the season.
If people are considering Rielly a star franchise D then I think by the end of the year if he keeps it up (which I think he will) you can call Chabot the same thing.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If people are considering Rielly a star franchise D then I think by the end of the year if he keeps it up (which I think he will) you can call Chabot the same thing.
Rielly was already a #1 before this season, scoring a lot and defending ok in tough minutes. Just didn’t have much luck in the way of secondary assists and Leafs didn’t stack the PP so didnt get as much recognition.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Then the joke is on you, lol.

Chabot was MVP and best defender in entire CHL playing just 35 games 2 years ago. He followed it with an unreal post season. He was then the first defender ever to win MVP of world juniors as a defender; putting up a performance for the ages--both ends of the ice. Next year he put up 30 points in his rookie season behind EK, very similar first season numbers to EK.

If there was any defender prospect, who was most likely to succeed and explode, it was Chabot.

Yet you thought its surprising and nobody expected Chabot to be HALF the player he is? Lmfao you're living under a rock then. It's ok if you shocked he's scoring PPG but to think he cant be scoring 14-15 points(46 point pace) so far lol.

Yea but plenty of players have been MVPs without the success Chabot's had.

Also stop overselling him as if he was touted to be on Dahlin's level with the "performance for the ages" stuff lol.

He's doing amaaazingly great atm and it's for sure a surprise... which is a compliment.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Most young defenders production can be highly volatile and they struggle with consistency. Just look at how often the opinions of the 2015 defenders change. 2016-17 it was Werenski, last year it was Provorov, this year its Chabot. I'd say he would need to sustain this for the entire year, and then start off next year at a high-level.

Reactions: Sasso09

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Laugh my ****ing ass off at posters claiming he's a product of the system. The sens don't have an established system. They're a ****show. Keep up the spin job folks
You can't deny they're a pure run and gun offensive system. They are 2nd or 3rd in goals for and dead last by a mile in goals against. The system helps his stats without question. That being said, the kid doesn't play with as much help as guys like Rielly, Carlson, Ghost, Klingberg etc so it balances out imo. While he's not great defensively he's certainly not a liability. If he keeps up his current play and doesn't improve at all he's a borderline top 10-15 defensemen in the league... that's a scary thought. Sky is the limit for the kid and I'm readily admitting I was wrong about him as a prospect.... in my defense who could have saw this coming? You're a liar if claim it

Reactions: devbouz12

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
His stats are kinda nuts.

He actually leads NHL dmen in both Goals For/60 and Goals Against/60. Havnt watched much Ottawa but that sounds damn exciting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad