THN Releases Top-50 Players List

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Buff > Doughty This bothers me a lot. Also Laine>Barkov. Laine is in no way better than Barkov yet.

The doughty ranking is beyond comprehension. I’m never reading another article by the hockey news ever again. They’re credibility is completely zero as far as I’m concerned.

Reactions: bionic

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
1 McDavid
2 Malkin
3 Ovechkin
4 Crosby
5 Hedman
6 Doughty
7 Karlsson
8 Kucherov
9 Bergeron
10 Kane
11 Bobrovsky
12 Stamkos
13 Sheifele
14 Hall
15 Rask
16 Holtby
17 Pietrangelo
18 Subban
19 Panarin
20 Kopitar
21 Eichel
22 Barkov
23 Kessel
24 Vasilevskiy
25 Laine
26 Pastrnak
27 MacKinnon
28 Jones
29 Matthews
30 Wheeler
31 Josi
32 Draisaitl
33 Forsberg
34 Marchand
35 Burns
36 Tarasenko
37 Seguin
38 Getzlaf
39 Benn
40 Suter
41 Kuznetzov
42 Quick
43 Giroux
44 Gaudreau
45 Gostisbehere
46 Klingberg
47 Stone
48 Carlson
49 Tkachuk
50 Rinne
Your list makes THN list look genius. Terrible.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's not a weak argument in the context of Malkin moving DOWN after improving from 72 points to 98. Why else would THN decide Tavares should jump ahead of Malkin, when Malkin was clearly the better player and made an even bigger improvement?
it's weak because you're trying to ascribe to pandering what could be explained by incompetence. They made a bad list, and one example of that is Tavares over Malkin. There are plenty of other things though

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
it's weak because you're trying to ascribe to pandering what could be explained by incompetence. They made a bad list, and one example of that is Tavares over Malkin. There are plenty of other things though
It has much more to do with Malkin being ranked far too low overall. Tavares is honestly where he should be in the rankings, it's just that Malkin's really not.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It has much more to do with Malkin being ranked far too low overall. Tavares is honestly where he should be in the rankings, it's just that Malkin's really not.
yeah exactly. i'd personally have Matthews over Tavares, though I won't lose sleep over it. It's just silly to look at a list with ridiculous things like Laine over Giroux despite 32 fewer points and think the biggest issue worth complaining about is pro-Leafs bias. Honestly it looks way more pro-Winnipeg to me

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
The doughty ranking is beyond comprehension. I’m never reading another article by the hockey news ever again. They’re credibility is completely zero as far as I’m concerned.
Obviously, Doughty is a tremendous defenceman winning the Norris a couple seasons ago. He also had a great season but did not make a difference in the playoffs.
Byfuglien does not get enough respect around here. I think this list does recognize his accomplishments.
With the Jets, Buff scores over 50 points pace every season.
Did you watch the playoffs?
I think Buff was the biggest reason for their two playoff wins. Against Minne he was a monster...knocking down several players with clean hits. He also creates a lot of offence getting 16 points in 17 games last playoffs. A lot of people don't mention that. How many playoff points did Doughty get?
Finally, a lot of people make fun of Buff's defensive play. Yes, at his worst he can take too many chances and take dumb penalties too.
But this was not the case in the playoffs. He played real responsible defensively.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not the worst list I've ever seen but still some ? marks. Giroux's to low, Doughty at 30 and being below Big Buff is another 1.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You know how many players with 300 or more games played that is PPG since 2011?

4 players.

But whatever, that agenda is strong.

Past 3 seasons he is easily under a PPG. no agenda.

Based off recent years, since say...2015 he isn't a top ten player.

I'd have him not even as a top 3 winger.

Marchand
Kucherov
Kane

Have outscored him the past 2 seasons.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I specifically said eichel is not the problem with buffalo...just as mcdavid isent on edmonton or ovi and crosby o their teams at the start of their careers...

What buffalo really seem to lack is a goalscorer....or 3.

Now +/- is not a great stats but being -25 on the worst team (eichel) is a bit worrying at first glance, even producing at close to point per game and being the main offense for buffalo eichel line still got heavily outscored...

Only 2 guys on his own team had a worse +/-

So eichel doesnt really seem to exactly help his team outscore the other team here...you who watch him alot more why is that?

Plus minus has been proven a cozillian times that it’s a pretty useless stat.

But if you want to go there, sure...It really is only worrying if you don’t see the whole picture which can happen not watching the games only to rely on pretty useless stat, grabbing at something to see how good or bad player is, which is what your doing here or you wouldn’t of brought it up. I never said Eichel was a great defensive player but if your team gives up in the higher 200 goals area and only scored 199, it’s actually quite impressive He’s only minus 25. Well truthfully impressive is a stretch but that’s how it really happens with bad teams who give up tons of goals and score so little. Especiallyx when he’s on the ice at times when there trying to score, getting caught happens and his team has never had a quality goalie in his tenure. This hurts plus minus in a huge way. Conversely Laine and the jets will have a great plus minuses due to there team doing rear in both ends. Come on man, this is simple, not sure why you’d even include this.

Eichels defensive play if anything is underrated, backchecking is an effortless task for him due to his elite skating, not sure you see him much so I’ll exllain, he’s already the league in transition zone rushes when coming back in the second half in 15-17 ahead of mcsspeedster which is saying something, even more impressive that he did this after a high ankle sprains, one of the most miserable injuries an athlete can sustain, especially one who relies on balance, mobility and agility for there power skating. This injury can linger for months yet no one in the NHL was better at this then a 20 year old in his sophomore season. He was third in the all star game and o let one of two players to get in the same 13 second mark as mcdavid, and Eichel even stumbled at the beginning.

The thing that makes Eichel work is whe he comes into the ice and get in position he gets the puck and nearly every shift does something useful, the shifty talent in his stick-handling (quite like Laine but worlds better at skating) he will dangle past one or two guys and set up one to two good scoring opportunities. The problem is his kJ nears are some of the most incompetent players a young star has to deal with in this day and age. I’d salivate having a wheeler or a scheifele, or ehlers playing with eichel. Skinner m, sheary and a long term Reinhart with dahlin in the backend and mittlestadt on the PP will help him immensely unless one or more suck this year.

I fully comprehend the “eye test” is an overused term but it really is the only way a non-fan or watcher of his play could see the countless number of amazing things he does each game in the neutral zone defensively r the offensive zone creating something at least before he goes back to the bench. Being the best player on the worst team is literally the worst spot a kid can be in. Conversely Laine is in one of the best spots a young talent can be in.

That’s what this is about, that’s where I draw the line seeing the polar opposites. Look at Justin Schultz, Tyler Myers when they were on bad low gf and high Ga teams there plus minus was god awful. Put them on a cup champion team or a elite team like Winnipeg and look what happened? WallAaah. There plus minus is great.

So no, Eichels plus minus is t the least bit troubling when you look at the context. I know you asked me why is that? As I said he’s put in positions to score, he’s there o boy hope, he gets a ton of ice time and if he’s not in the other end, even with his elite skating it’s impossible to always fly over and too a puck when his goalies and defenders haven’t helped him out, infact the d and goalies have been more of a problem to Eichels defensive game then the other forwards have to his offensive game. I know if you don’t watch the player you can assume a super fan is making excuses over and over for his player but if you actually look objectively and at the Schultz and Myers examples above, it’s clear as day why this
Happens. And I never said his defensive play is great, despite doing a lot of great, smart things in the neitral zone that makes him appear as a veteran out there. A sabres fan posed a quality video in an Eichel thread that showed all the little things that don’t show up in statistics he does and it was a very good conpiliation. If find it I’ll show you. Either way good discussion, I hope I’ve explained a couple things here.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Not exactly shocking but what a terrible list. Byfuglien at 29 is embarrassing, Barkov also needs to be in the top 25-30.

The people compiling these lists seriously know jackshit about hockey.

Reactions: viper0220

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Doughty at 30. Best dman in the league over the past 5 to 7 years. Hedman looks like he may be taking that over vut no way can you drop doughty to 30 so quick. Should be tip 5 to 7.

I would love to see their criteria and rationale.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
TSN has criminally underrated Malkin in the past, so it's not surprising that they put freaking John Tavares over Malkin. Yes, the Tavares that has a career high of 38 goals and 86 points is better than a guy who had 42 goals and 98 points last year, which was a normal season for him.
Malkin should be top 5 no questions asked. Probably number 3.

Reactions: viper0220

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Kuznetsov is getting way to much love lately. I think he's a great player and I'd love to have him in my team but his ranking is ridiculous here.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Doughty at 30. Best dman in the league over the past 5 to 7 years. Hedman looks like he may be taking that over vut no way can you drop doughty to 30 so quick. Should be tip 5 to 7.

I would love to see their criteria and rationale.
Nah the best over the last 5 to 7 should easily be Karlsson. He's been robbed of 2 Norrises in the last 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad