THN Releases Top-50 Players List

Cotton

May 13, 2013
>ignoring the fact that Connor Brown is a 20 goal scorer, and he still only played HALF the year with him

Can we avoid going in circles here, I have all the facts, if you did you would of known about Matthews line mates already. At this point grasping for random things to help yourself keep from drowning isn’t working. Try fact checking next time rather than winging it.

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
Can we avoid going in circles here, I have all the facts, if you did you would of known about Matthews line mates already. At this point grasping for random things to help yourself keep from drowning isn’t working. Try fact checking next time rather than winging it.
You're just making a false point that Barzal played in a better environment, (who he was on the ice with) and the fact is that he was not

Cotton

May 13, 2013
You're just making a false point that Barzal played in a better environment, (who he was on the ice with) and the fact is that he was not

That’s not a fact, that’s your opinion. You may feel Connor Brown > Jordan Eberle, but that doesn’t make it a fact. His better situation encompasses more than who he’s on the ice with, but that’s just what you chose to zero in on.

I’m kinda over this discussion, I don’t want to be rude but there isn’t any new information to be gleaned from continuing it. In the end we disagree, and I accept that.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
No Leon Draisaitl or Ryan Getzlaf as well as placing Doughty so low makes me question whether the list makers even watch the Pacific. Especially with Monahan at #50 over the other two clearly superior centers.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah I'm questioning this list. If you watched the Flames at all, you'd know that Giordano is a better player right now than Monahan.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
That’s not a fact, that’s your opinion. You may feel Connor Brown > Jordan Eberle, but that doesn’t make it a fact. His better situation encompasses more than who he’s on the ice with, but that’s just what you chose to zero in on.

I’m kinda over this discussion, I don’t want to be rude but there isn’t any new information to be gleaned from continuing it. In the end we disagree, and I accept that.
FWIW Matthew's most common linemates BY FAR were Nylander and Hyman. Matthews/Nylander/Hyman got 16.5% of the Leafs ice time last season. The next most common line with Matthews on it was with Brown and Hyman, and they only got 2.7% of the Leafs ice time.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Can anyone find the link to this list? Ive googled it a few different times and still cannot find anything, was it in one of their magazines?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
FWIW Matthew's most common linemates BY FAR were Nylander and Hyman. Matthews/Nylander/Hyman got 16.5% of the Leafs ice time last season. The next most common line with Matthews on it was with Brown and Hyman, and they only got 2.7% of the Leafs ice time.

The comparison was for rookie years. These were Matthews most common lines at 5-on-5 in his rookie year;

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander 43%
Hyman-Matthews-Brown 31%

(As an FYI, he produced more with Brown than with Nylander on those lines)

And Barzal;
Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle 31.2%
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle 22.4

Matthews top 3 lines mates 5-on-5;
Hyman 78%
Nylander 50.4%
Brown 32%

PP;
Nylander 82.2%
Komarov 73.6%
Brown 37.2%

And Barzal 5-on-5;
Eberle 69.4%
Beauvillier 35.2%
Ladd 32.8%

PP;
Tavares 89.3%
Lee 88.9%
Bailey 77.9%

All stats from
Auston Matthews - Frozen Tools

Btw, Leo Komarov, who you’ll get acquainted with this season, is a 4th liner who should never be on a PP.

Reactions: Garthinater

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
People should just stop reading these garbage lists. If a player plays in small western market these so called "journalist" see them twice in regular season (when they play against Leafs). Ofc they won't put them on list or if they do they're underrated. The only way to get a good ranking is to win a trophy.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
So you're okay calling Hall the 6th best hockey player in the world? Sixth!

That is the definition of a "what have you done for me lately" ranking!
Nope. I have Hall #13 on my list.. just pointing out, Giroux is better and had a better season. Therefore if it was a what have you done for me lately list, it makes no sense

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He had 80+ points. That’s a lot more than nice. Id still take Matthews and Laine over him, but based on what we’ve seen in the NHL so far, I don’t see a wide gap.

I think Barzal is a tremendous young player and who knows maybe they will ultimately be close, but I don't personally see them having been last year.

Barzal got extremely favourable matchups compared to what Matthews for example gets, an extra minute more per game of powerplay time, and on a stacked first unit in NY and their point per game was just 0.02 difference. Had Matthews not missed 20 games he almost without doubt would have doubled Barzal in goals while also being over 13% better at faceoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garthinater

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad