THN Releases Top-50 Players List

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Care to make
Your own? People always trashing others ....
Your list was pretty ridiculous. Giroux was ridiculously low on the original list and you somehow pushed him to 43. My list won't be perfect but it'll definitely be better than the one you've posted.

Not counting goaltenders, they're impossible to rank with skaters.

1. Mcdavid
2. Crosby
3. Malkin
4. Karlsson
5. Hedman
6. Doughty
7. Giroux
8. Kucherov
9. Mackinnon
10. Kopitar
11. Ovechkin
12. Kane
13. Hall
14. Bergeron
15. Scheifele
16. Stamkos
17. Wheeler
18. Subban
19. Marchand
20. Barkov
21. Matthews
22. Jones
23. Pietrangelo
24. Seguin
25. Tavares
26. Tarasenko
27. Gaudreau
28. Josi
29. Provorov
30. Panarin
31. Eichel
32. Couturier
33. Burns
34. Kessel
35. Benn
36. Kuznetsov
37. Getzlaf
38. Laine
39. Pastrnak
40. Voracek
41. Draistl
42. Barzal
43. Backstrom
44. Gostisbehere
45. Klingberg
46. Marner
47. Carlson
48. Werenski
49. Forsberg
50. W. Karlsson

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Clearly a "what have you done for me lately" list.

Hall at 6 is a bit off. The guy had one good year and he's now the 6th bet player in the league??

I like Hall, I do.......but #6?

Nah....
If it were that type of list Giroux would have been top 5

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Your list was pretty ridiculous. Giroux was ridiculously low on the original list and you somehow pushed him to 43. My list won't be perfect but it'll definitely be better than the one you've posted.

1. Mcdavid
2. Crosby
3. Malkin
4. Karlsson
5. Hedman
6. Doughty
7. Giroux
8. Kucherov
9. Mackinnon
10. Kopitar
11. Ovechkin
12. Kane
13. Hall
14. Bergeron
15. Scheifele
16. Stamkos
17. Wheeler
18. Subban
19. Marchand
20. Barkov
21. Matthews
22. Jones
23. Pietrangelo
24. Seguin
25. Tavares
26. Tarasenko
27. Gaudreau
28. Josi
29. Provorov
30. Panarin
31. Eichel
32. Couturier
33. Burns
34. Kessel
35. Benn
36. Kuznetsov
37. Getzlaf
38. Laine
39. Pastrnak
40. Voracek
41. Draistl
42. Barzal
43. Backstrom
44. Gostisbehere
45. Klingberg
46. Marner
47. Carlson
48. Werenski
49. Forsberg
50. W. Karlsson

Why is OV so low?

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
No matter what media or league or expert puts out a list of the best players/wingers/talents one thing is for sure, Laine is always too high on those in many posters opinion. Just get used to it, he will keep on climbing up on those lists and at some point all you Laine-bashers will realize why he has been on these lists and why he is ranked higher than your favorite players. Kid has just scratched the surface and will become a superstar and is allready the real deal, whether you like it or not.
Sometimes the truth hurts....

NHL.com released their top20 wingers, Laine was ranked 6th , he was ranked even higher among wingers than on this THN list you are laughing at

Last edited:

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
No matter what media or league or expert puts out a list of the best players/wingers/talents one thing is for sure, Laine is always too high on those in many posters opinion. Just get used to it, he will keep on climbing up on those lists and at some point all you Lqine-bashers will realize why he has been on these lists and why he is ranked higher than your favorite players. Kid has just scratched the surface and will become a superstar and is allready the real deal, whether you like it or not.
Sometimes the truth hurts....

NHL.com released their top20 wingers, Laine was ranked 6th , he was ranked even higher among wingers than on this THN list you are laughing at

At least we will be laughing in the future.

Let them mock and make predictions on how bad he will be :)

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

1. Mcdavid
2. Crosby
3. Malkin
4. Karlsson
5. Hedman
6. Doughty
7. Giroux
8. Kucherov
9. Mackinnon
10. Kopitar
11. Ovechkin
12. Kane
13. Hall
14. Bergeron
15. Scheifele
16. Stamkos
17. Wheeler
18. Subban
19. Marchand
20. Barkov
21. Matthews
22. Jones
23. Pietrangelo
24. Seguin
25. Tavares
26. Tarasenko
27. Gaudreau
28. Josi
29. Provorov
30. Panarin
31. Eichel
32. Couturier
33. Burns
34. Kessel
35. Benn
36. Kuznetsov
37. Getzlaf
38. Laine
39. Pastrnak
40. Voracek
41. Draistl
42. Barzal
43. Backstrom
44. Gostisbehere
45. Klingberg
46. Marner
47. Carlson
48. Werenski
49. Forsberg
50. W. Karlsson

This isn’t a bad list

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Plus minus has been proven a cozillian times that it’s a pretty useless stat.

But if you want to go there, sure...It really is only worrying if you don’t see the whole picture which can happen not watching the games only to rely on pretty useless stat, grabbing at something to see how good or bad player is, which is what your doing here or you wouldn’t of brought it up. I never said Eichel was a great defensive player but if your team gives up in the higher 200 goals area and only scored 199, it’s actually quite impressive He’s only minus 25. Well truthfully impressive is a stretch but that’s how it really happens with bad teams who give up tons of goals and score so little. Especiallyx when he’s on the ice at times when there trying to score, getting caught happens and his team has never had a quality goalie in his tenure. This hurts plus minus in a huge way. Conversely Laine and the jets will have a great plus minuses due to there team doing rear in both ends. Come on man, this is simple, not sure why you’d even include this.

Eichels defensive play if anything is underrated, backchecking is an effortless task for him due to his elite skating, not sure you see him much so I’ll exllain, he’s already the league in transition zone rushes when coming back in the second half in 15-17 ahead of mcsspeedster which is saying something, even more impressive that he did this after a high ankle sprains, one of the most miserable injuries an athlete can sustain, especially one who relies on balance, mobility and agility for there power skating. This injury can linger for months yet no one in the NHL was better at this then a 20 year old in his sophomore season. He was third in the all star game and o let one of two players to get in the same 13 second mark as mcdavid, and Eichel even stumbled at the beginning.

The thing that makes Eichel work is whe he comes into the ice and get in position he gets the puck and nearly every shift does something useful, the shifty talent in his stick-handling (quite like Laine but worlds better at skating) he will dangle past one or two guys and set up one to two good scoring opportunities. The problem is his kJ nears are some of the most incompetent players a young star has to deal with in this day and age. I’d salivate having a wheeler or a scheifele, or ehlers playing with eichel. Skinner m, sheary and a long term Reinhart with dahlin in the backend and mittlestadt on the PP will help him immensely unless one or more suck this year.

I fully comprehend the “eye test” is an overused term but it really is the only way a non-fan or watcher of his play could see the countless number of amazing things he does each game in the neutral zone defensively r the offensive zone creating something at least before he goes back to the bench. Being the best player on the worst team is literally the worst spot a kid can be in. Conversely Laine is in one of the best spots a young talent can be in.

That’s what this is about, that’s where I draw the line seeing the polar opposites. Look at Justin Schultz, Tyler Myers when they were on bad low gf and high Ga teams there plus minus was god awful. Put them on a cup champion team or a elite team like Winnipeg and look what happened? WallAaah. There plus minus is great.

So no, Eichels plus minus is t the least bit troubling when you look at the context. I know you asked me why is that? As I said he’s put in positions to score, he’s there o boy hope, he gets a ton of ice time and if he’s not in the other end, even with his elite skating it’s impossible to always fly over and too a puck when his goalies and defenders haven’t helped him out, infact the d and goalies have been more of a problem to Eichels defensive game then the other forwards have to his offensive game. I know if you don’t watch the player you can assume a super fan is making excuses over and over for his player but if you actually look objectively and at the Schultz and Myers examples above, it’s clear as day why this
Happens. And I never said his defensive play is great, despite doing a lot of great, smart things in the neitral zone that makes him appear as a veteran out there. A sabres fan posed a quality video in an Eichel thread that showed all the little things that don’t show up in statistics he does and it was a very good conpiliation. If find it I’ll show you. Either way good discussion, I hope I’ve explained a couple things here.
Thanks for the explanation i appreciate it. I can see how high icetime impacts this. Im guessing its on the Pp eichel (so far) gives his team a huge advantage (one of the best pp performers past 2 seasons if im not misstaken).

Also i have seen alot of eichel which is why i was suprised that his line receives alot of goals 5v5. Must be frustratingly dysfunction management somewhere there. Kinda how laine was missused with little. I know the feeeling bro.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017

1. Mcdavid
2. Crosby
3. Malkin
4. Karlsson
5. Hedman
6. Doughty
7. Giroux
8. Kucherov
9. Mackinnon
10. Kopitar
11. Ovechkin
12. Kane
13. Hall
14. Bergeron
15. Scheifele
16. Stamkos
17. Wheeler
18. Subban
19. Marchand
20. Barkov
21. Matthews
22. Jones
23. Pietrangelo
24. Seguin
25. Tavares
26. Tarasenko
27. Gaudreau
28. Josi
29. Provorov
30. Panarin
31. Eichel
32. Couturier
33. Burns
34. Kessel
35. Benn
36. Kuznetsov
37. Getzlaf
38. Laine
39. Pastrnak
40. Voracek
41. Draistl
42. Barzal
43. Backstrom
44. Gostisbehere
45. Klingberg
46. Marner
47. Carlson
48. Werenski
49. Forsberg
50. W. Karlsson

Yes, that wasn't me but I appreciate the reply anyway. Personally I feel as if you have Giroud too high and Karlsson W doesn't deserve to be on this list at all. Ovechkin is way too low. Again, I appreciate the reply but I will disagree without calling your list garbage or trash. I feel as if people should be more constructive on this website instead of just calling others stupid or trash.

PS: To the fellow who defended me, I do not need defending. Kid.

PSS: If the original caller-outer would make a list, that would be a fancy snack.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
If it were that type of list Giroux would have been top 5

Moving Ovechkin out of the top 10 is a bigger farce than lowering Giroux. Giroux is at 7 when it's not a "what have you done for me lately" list, but he only goes up to 5th or better when you factor in his 100 point season? If it's not "what have you done lately", then both Kucherov and Ovechkin have done better the last two and three years...The only conclusion I can draw here is that you are giving him a lot of credit for his 102 point season, but not giving Ovechkin any real credit for his Rocket and Smythe.

Did you make this list by creating tiers of players? It looks like you just block players together by position based on where you think they relate to each other, 3d - 2w - 2c - 3w - 3c. All the way down, it's pairs of players by positions.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
, plays on the best team in the west with the most talented players and playmakers that perfectly suit the type of goal scoring talent he is.

Personally, I don’t see how Laine doesent do better. 26 assists in 82 games with all those guys? And he’s top 20 in the NHL?

Did you not know that he is not playing with Scheifele or Wheeler?

Bryan Little -- for crying out loud -- is not a playmaker center and in no way suit duo of Laine & Ehlers. In no way. "Perfectly suit", yeah right. If anything Little has been an anchor for Laine to drag around. Laine was feasting with freaking Andrew Copp as his center, you know the guy?

I give you that you don't follow him at all, but seriously dude, that's just bullcrap.

If he played with Scheifele & Wheeler or at least with Scheifele, I could possibly get your whine.

Btw. check their WAR/82 and corsicahockey.com Rating. LAINEC, and not close.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
My top 5 would be:
1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Ovechkin (best scorer in the league for how long now?)
4. Malkin
5. Doughty/Karlsson (bit of a cop out, but depends on if you want a dominating offensive D with good defense or a dominating two-way D; I think they both have similar value for what each brings at this point, so it's either too close to call or too subjective in what type of Dman you value more).

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin was better than Crosby in the regular season and in the post season last year. It was not close.

Grace periods apparently apply to Crosby because he was the best player in the NHL once in the past 10 seasons (so was Ovechkin, multiple times, but that somehow doesn't count).

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
I see a massive gap, but I also see the difference between a 1C and a 2C, a two-way player and an offensive player, 2.97 GPG vs 2.77 GPG, top minutes on PP1 when the NHL has a 20.18 PP% (the highest since 1989) and secondary PP2 minutes when it's 19.10. And the difference between 28 secondary points vs 9.

I also see the difference between Jordan Eberle and Zach Hyman.

Lots of little contextual details that makes up a picture, and I think Barzal is good, but perhaps not as much as the hype has led people to believe. This season will be telling.

And if I'm wrong and Barzal provespit was legit, I'll get called out, and i'll own it.
>ignoring the difference between Ladd/Beauvillier and f***ing Willy Nylander

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
1. Doughty ranking is mind-blowing. Absolutely no logic there. Below Byfuglien?????? WTF????????

2. Matthews/Laine at 17/19 but Eichel/Barzal at 40/41? What have AM and PL done to deserve that gap between them and Eichel/Barzal? And don't tell me Barzal only has one year of proof because didn't TSN put Matthews like top 10 last season?
they're on good teams, it shouldn't be so hard to figure out. this has always been the case with these sorts of player rankings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad