THN Releases Top-50 Players List

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Ovechkin at 10 is way too low. Hall and Scheifele have no business being in the top 10. Bergeron at 7 is also too high, you shouldn't be ranked that high just with good defense and ok offense.

Harder to rank the guys the lower you go, but I love the fact that Eichel is number 40 were he belongs.

I am going to disagree with your assessment of Bergeron. He has better than "ok offense" and no matter who he goes up against he comes out on top far more often than not.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Lmao laine been on a dysfunctional line 5v5 most of season and helped his team towards 53 wins look his stats when he get sepparated from little :)... you keep bringing up that eichel is on the worst offensive team as a good thing...like yeah you do have a point that he is producing really well on a bad team but if he was as good as you make him out to be it wouldnt be the worst offensive team. Dont get me wrong i think he is really good and its the rest of the team not living up to par but we'll see next season. Obviously missing games past 2 seasons arent helping either.... laine (with matthews) looks to be taking over the torch from ovi at some point whereas eichel doesnt seem to become the best in one such area hence why they are ranked higher....

Both already have a top 2 finish in the rocket race....

And no i dont agree with that list...

I didn’t respsond to this right away because it wasn’t a very good argument, at least from the point of where I think you were going with it. Crosby and Ovechkin both had over 100 pts when they broke in and there teams didn’t score initially or do particularly well. Was that there fault?

How about mcdavid? I don’t see edmonton scoring tons of goals, Or it being his fault. Case in point me talking about Eichels team being so low
In scoring. (31st dead last, let’s say if they were just 25th in goals, I wouldn’t even be making the argument, but being the only team to finish 31st in goals is significant lol) and putting up so few goals is by no means has anything to do with a guy who was in on 32 percent of the teams offense despite missing 18 percent of the season.

So I don’t find it embarrassing at all (Eichel wise) or it any fault of His that his team was dead last. If that’s where your going with your argument (that buffalo lost because Eichel played bad) Your really steering in the wrong direction here. I believe next season they don’t even finish bottom five this time, I don’t expect them to be good or anything but probably out of bottom five now that he has help. We as sabres fans have every reason to be angry at our team so believe me if Eichel wasn’t the only saving grace I’d be bashing him left right and Center. Seriously, if you’d watched just a few buffalo games this year ( I totally don’t blame you for not watching them lol) you’d see buffalo only really scores when he’s on the ice. The entire offense or lack thereof is completely dependent on him. Evander Kane only could score with Eichel (16) he was lost (3 goals) without him. You might know about the Kane thing in Winnipeg.

But honestly buffalo doesent even get scoring chances when Eichel isn’t on the ice, the jets can score tons of goals and can win games even without Laine registering a single point. There were 15 or 16 (two sets of seven or 8) where Laine didn’t need to get a point at all and pretty sure the jets did good then still.

I remember when Buffalo had that four line good team, it was like ten years ago but man that was fun. Lucky you. Enjoy these times.

Last edited:
Reactions: North Cole

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I didn’t respsond to this right away because it wasn’t a very good argument, at least from the point of where I think you were going with it. Crosby and Ovechkin both had over 100 pts when they broke in and there teams didn’t score initially or do particularly well. Was that there fault?

How about mcdavid? I don’t see edmonton scoring tons of goals, Or it being his fault. Case in point me talking about Eichels team being so low
In scoring. (31st dead last, let’s say if they were just 25th in goals, I wouldn’t even be making the argument, but being the only team to finish 31st in goals is significant lol) and putting up so few goals is by no means has anything to do with a guy who was in on 32 percent of the teams offense despite missing 18 percent of the season.

So I don’t find it embarrassing at all (Eichel wise) or it any fault of His that his team was dead last. If that’s where your going with your argument (that buffalo lost because Eichel played bad) Your really steering in the wrong direction here. I believe next season they don’t even finish bottom five this time, I don’t expect them to be good or anything but probably out of bottom five now that he has help. We as sabres fans have every reason to be angry at our team so believe me if Eichel wasn’t the only saving grace I’d be bashing him left right and Center. Seriously, if you’d watched just a few buffalo games this year ( I totally don’t blame you for not watching them lol) you’d see buffalo only really scores when he’s on the ice. The entire offense or lack thereof is completely dependent on him. Evander Kane only could score with Eichel (16) he was lost (3 goals) without him. You might know about the Kane thing in Winnipeg.

But honestly buffalo doesent even get scoring chances when Eichel isn’t on the ice, the jets can score tons of goals and can win games even without Laine registering a single point. There were 15 or 16 (two sets of seven or 8) where Laine didn’t need to get a point at all and pretty sure the jets did good then still.

I remember when Buffalo had that four line good team, it was like ten years ago but man that was fun. Lucky you. Enjoy these times.

I specifically said eichel is not the problem with buffalo...just as mcdavid isent on edmonton or ovi and crosby o their teams at the start of their careers...

What buffalo really seem to lack is a goalscorer....or 3.

Now +/- is not a great stats but being -25 on the worst team (eichel) is a bit worrying at first glance, even producing at close to point per game and being the main offense for buffalo eichel line still got heavily outscored...

Only 2 guys on his own team had a worse +/-

So eichel doesnt really seem to exactly help his team outscore the other team here...you who watch him alot more why is that?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Wouldn't that make me a media basher? Because my implying the people who write for THN are the ones with a bias, not the Leafs players or fans since neither had anything to do with the ranking.
It's your reasoning for stating they are biased which is the issue. You have stated them putting Tavares 13th instead of 17th like last year when he was with the Islanders is proof they are biased and doing it to sell more magazines to Leaf fans. 4 spots ahead of last year won't sell a single magazine more and you know it.
He moved up 4 spots because he went from 66 points to 84.
It's a really weak argument.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
It's your reasoning for stating they are biased which is the issue. You have stated them putting Tavares 13th instead of 17th like last year when he was with the Islanders is proof they are biased and doing it to sell more magazines to Leaf fans. 4 spots ahead of last year won't sell a single magazine more and you know it.

And Malkin moved down 7 spots (from 7th to 14th) because he went from 72 points to 98? I think he is stating that they are biased because they are inconsistent with their reasoning, not because they moved Tavares 4 spots up.

Reactions: Tripod

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
And Malkin moved down 7 spots (from 7th to 14th) because he went from 72 points to 98? I think he is stating that they are biased because they are inconsistent with their reasoning, not because they moved Tavares 4 spots up.
No that's not what he said. He said they did that to sell more magazines to Leaf fans.
Why is Tavares repeatedly the only one mentioned about moving up in regards to Malkin moving down? Because he's a Leaf of course.
Pot=Kettle.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's the big issue, the inconsistency.

It looks heavily based on last year when you see Couturier and Karlsson there and no Holtby. But then why is Giroux, Malkin and Barzal lower than they should given they had great years? Why do their great years not count?

As stated, Malkin dropped after having a 98 point season. What??

How does Tavares move up 4 spots with a 84 point season and pass Malkin who posted a 98 point season?? Mind boggling.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
No that's not what he said. He said they did that to sell more magazines to Leaf fans.
Why is Tavares repeatedly the only one mentioned about moving up in regards to Malkin moving down? Because he's a Leaf of course.
Pot=Kettle.

I cannot say for others but I would also pick Tavares to show that inconsistency. Why? Because it's most non controversial target when comparing to Malkin. You could make argument about everyone (with exception to maybe Scheifele) but Tavares:
- Karlsson & Hedman are defensemen, hard to compare to forwards
- Bobrovsky is a goalie, same argument
- Bergeron & Kopitar are considered great two way forwards, there would always be someone to argue something about defense (and Kopitar was Hart finalist on top of that)
- Ovechkin can get goalscorer argument (and Conn Smythe winner)
- MacKinnon & Hall are Hart winner and finalist
- Kucherov was above Malkin in points last season
- McDavid & Crosby are generally considered 1-2 players in the league

But yes, you can point out many other placings on the list. This is the goalie ranking:
12. Bobrovsky
22. Hellebuyck
25. Vasilevskiy
35. MAF
39. Price
44. Quick

And this is the defensemen list:
4. Karlsson
5. Hedman
21. Jones
24. Subban
29. Byfuglien
30. Doughty
32. Burns
38. Carlson
45. Josi

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I cannot say for others but I would also pick Tavares to show that inconsistency. Why? Because it's most non controversial target when comparing to Malkin. You could make argument about everyone (with exception to maybe Scheifele) but Tavares:
- Bergeron & Kopitar are considered great two way forwards, there would always be someone to argue something about defense (and Kopitar was Hart finalist on top of that)

But yes, you can point out many other placings on the list. This is the goalie ranking:
12. Bobrovsky
22. Hellebuyck
25. Vasilevskiy
35. MAF
39. Price
44. Quick

4. Karlsson
5. Hedman
21. Jones
24. Subban
29. Byfuglien
30. Doughty
32. Burns
38. Carlson
45. Josi

The one big one i'll dusagree with is Hall and Mavkinnon. Winning the Hart and being runner-up doesn't make it ok they passed Malkin. They are better examples than Taavres.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
These lists tell me Kopitar is probably the most underrated player in the NHL. He's been the best F on multiple Cup winning teams abd brings Bergeron level defense with PPG offense. How are guys like Hall, Tavares, Scheifele even in the same tier? Ridiculous. Terrible Canadian bias is present in this list which isnt surprising given where it came from.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
These lists tell me Kopitar is probably the most underrated player in the NHL. He's been the best F on multiple Cup winning teams abd brings Bergeron level defense with PPG offense. How are guys like Hall, Tavares, Scheifele even in the same tier? Ridiculous. Terrible Canadian bias is present in this list which isnt surprising given where it came from.

What these tell me is they are poorly researched sheets of toilet paper that are nothing more than popularity contests.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

12. Bobrovsky
22. Hellebuyck
25. Vasilevskiy
35. MAF
39. Price
44. Quick

4. Karlsson
5. Hedman
21. Jones
24. Subban
29. Byfuglien
30. Doughty
32. Burns
38. Carlson
45. Josi

These too high

----

It's nice to see Bobrovsky on top in these lists. His advanced stats only underline how good player he was, the save% alone doesn't tell much in his case.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
You're just as good as your last year!

Everyone trying to cast W.Karlsson out of top 50... that's just plain wrong.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Ovi I could see an argument considering the season he came off but the rest just no

him or Ovi are either number 2

Ovi hasn't been a consistent PPG player the past few seasons. I wouldn't even have him top ten.

Had a Great playoffs though. 87 points in the Reg season isn't #2 worthy.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ovi hasn't been a consistent PPG player the past few seasons. I wouldn't even have him top ten.

Ovi has been a ppg player in 10 of 13 seasons. How is he not a top 10?

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I read the title quickly and thought it was top 50 releases. Haha glad I re read it. Definitely an interchangeable list but imo malkin too low

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I might have to agree that Kopitar is the most underrated player. Not only was he on 2 Stanley cup teams but both of those seasons he lead the playoffs in scoring and never won the Conn Smythe. I'd definitely rank him in the top 5.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

You wouldnt have a player that has 5 Rockets, a Conn Smythe and 4 times in the post season all-star team in his last 6 seasons as a top 10 player?

Alrighty then.

Reactions: Naturaledge

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It's not a weak argument in the context of Malkin moving DOWN after improving from 72 points to 98. Why else would THN decide Tavares should jump ahead of Malkin, when Malkin was clearly the better player and made an even bigger improvement?

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Hockey media continually astounds with their unparalleled stupidity. Every THN employee who contributed to this list should be fired ASAP. Doughty at 30 is just a disgrace. I think it’s safe to say The Hockey News= Fake News.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad