THN Releases Top-50 Players List

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
So many commented this list, mind as well join, since there are some nice picks in here!

1 McDavid
2 Malkin
3 Ovechkin
4 Crosby
5 Hedman
6 Doughty
7 Karlsson (+ Balls to take down EK, IMO should be even lower just for the junk season)
Kucherov
9 Bergeron
10 Kane
11 Bobrovsky
12 Stamkos
13 Sheifele
14 Hall
15 Rask (- Too high, has a good defensive team)
Holtby
17 Pietrangelo
18 Subban (- Too high, had a great season but still doesnt belong here)
Panarin
20 Kopitar
21 Eichel
22 Barkov
23 Kessel
24 Vasilevskiy (- Too high)
Laine
26 Pastrnak
27 MacKinnon (- Too low)
Jones
29 Matthews (- Too low)
Wheeler
31 Josi
32 Draisaitl
33 Forsberg (- Too low)
Marchand
35 Burns (- Too high)
Tarasenko
37 Seguin
38 Getzlaf
39 Benn
40 Suter (- Way too high)
Kuznetzov (- Too low)
Quick
43 Giroux (- Too low)
Gaudreau(- Too low)
Gostisbehere
46 Klingberg (- Too high)
Stone
48 Carlson
49 Tkachuk
50 Rinne

A lot of players missing from this list, but there were a lot that were ~about in the right place.

List is missing a lot of great 2-way guys, but that´s what the lists always do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canada Drai

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Curious on why they feel Matthews has dropped so far from last years rankings (8th to 17th). I would of expected his ranking to improve as he develops. Perhaps his injury issues last season are being factored into the rankings.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think my problem with the list is that I can't figure out what they're basing it off of. Seeing guys like Hall and MacKinnon at #5 and #8 makes me think the list is purely based on last season's numbers considering they were both roughly 60 point scorers the last few years. Then I see someone like Giroux who just finished 2nd in scoring (above both Hall and MacK) with 102 points and 4th in Hart voting and he isn't even a top 20 player? Then I think, maybe they're using this past season as a priority along with the last couple years and giving the benefit of the doubt to younger players and then I see Kane at 26 despite having a "down" year with 76 points. The guy has averaged 90+ points over the last 3 seasons, has won a Hart and also finished 6th in Hart voting during that time and he's not a top 25 player in the league?

I think your problem is you've put more thought into the "why" of where players are ranked than the people who made the list did. That's the issue. There is no rhyme or reason for how they ranked guys, because there was no consistent method.

Reactions: StoneHands

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Ovechkin at 10 is too low.

He just lead the regular season in goals, lead the playoffs in goals, and won a Conn Smythe / captained the Cup winning team.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
And Backstrom has had... what five or six seasons in a row with 70+ points and that isn't good for top-50?

Also don't get why Price is 39 despite the fact he was one of the worst goalies in the world this year. He needs to prove himself and bounce back before ranking him above many other goalies who were vastly superior to him this year.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Here it is:

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Kucherov
4. Karlsson
5. Hedman
6. Hall
7. Bergeron
8. MacKinnon
9. Scheifele
10. Ovechkin
11. Kopitar
12. Bobrovsky
13. Tavares
14. Malkin
15. Wheeler
16. Kuznetsov
17. Matthews
18. Marchand
19. Laine
20. Stamkos
21. Jones
22. Hellebuyck
23. Giroux
24. Subban
25. Vasilevskiy
26. Kane
27. Panarin
28. Seguin
29. Byfuglien
30. Doughty
31. Barkov
32. Burns
33. Gaudreau
34. Pastrnak
35. Fleury
36. Benn
37. Forsberg
38. Carlson
39. Price
40. Eichel
41. Barzal
42. Rantanen
43. Kessel
44. Quick
45. Josi
46. Tarasenko
47. W. Karlsson
48. Marner
49. Couturier
50. Monahan

Now, let’s all have a good time blasting this list to pieces. I’ll start us off, but I’m sure there’s all sorts of players who got jobbed in various ways.

1. How the flying **** did they justify putting Doughty so low. I believe it was the general (although undoubtedly disputed) consensus on here that he was the best d-man this past year, and Hedman received the Norris because of the weird way it is given to players who are “due.” I’d have him just ahead of VH77, but I don’t think anyone can say he should be more than one or two spots behind.

2. The Malkin ranking. The dude is consistently ridiculously underrated and it just makes no sense, as the same media people are fine to always include him in the same breath as Sid and Ovi.

3. Really weak love for Giroux after a great rebound season. Coming from a fan of the Pens.

4. What’s with all the inconsistency? The aggressive rankings of Hall, MacKinnon, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, and other players who exploded this last year seems to point to the idea that they are focusing on recent history. Yet in that case, why are Crosby and Karlsson so high, after having great but not truly outstanding seasons last year? Why is Kane over Panarin?

Edit: Hilarious omissions list, as pointed out in this thread, consists of:

- Getzlaf
- Pietrangelo
- Suter
- Backstrom
- Holtby
- Stone
- Giordano
- Draisaitl
spot on

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
So many commented this list, mind as well join, since there are some nice picks in here!

A lot of players missing from this list, but there were a lot that were ~about in the right place.

List is missing a lot of great 2-way guys, but that´s what the lists always do.

Thanks for the constructive reply, these types of posts are what makes HF great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad