This Team is Horrible (All Purpose Venting Thread)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
let me make myself more clear. I wasn't bashing trotz d system. I was bashing his O zone systems. They are dysfunctional. Telling players not to shoot is incorrect. Plain and simple. WIth Trotz coaching the d and reirden doing the O, the caps won a cup that way. Take that for wht it is. Tells me why trotz has not been successful other than this situation in that cup year

Incorrect and pretty much every coach would tell you that. No coach in the NHL would let Wahlstrom continue to take the shots he does because he takes an awful lot of low percentage shots that give the puck to the opposition. It's about teaching players when to shoot and when not to, and that is dependent upon the system/coach and will vary around the league.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
Incorrect and pretty much every coach would tell you that. No coach in the NHL would let Wahlstrom continue to take the shots he does because he takes an awful lot of low percentage shots that give the puck to the opposition. It's about teaching players when to shoot and when not to, and that is dependent upon the system/coach and will vary around the league.
I repeat, treats the plyers like puppets with this "dont shoot unless perfect play" that the caps players even complained about is the problem. LAST in shots, and horrible offensively is the result of this false philosophy

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Kinda OT but continuing the Barzal conversation from last night, Hes 17th in the nhl in ES pts. Let’s stop complaining about the one good thing we have

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
photo.php

Me n this guy have 573 combined goals. Maybe we can help?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I repeat, treats the plyers like puppets with this "dont shoot unless perfect play" that the caps players even complained about is the problem. LAST in shots, and horrible offensively is the result of this false philosophy

Provide links or stop spamming the same thing over and over again.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He hasn't made the guys around him better. I'm a huge fan of his but that's probably the biggest disappointment for me.
I think if he played more games like he did last night we’d see better output from Anders Lee.

@PK Cronin said it yesterday. If Barzal shoots more it would loosen up the opposing defense and get some movement in front of the net. That’s where Lee would be able to cash in.

broncs918

Mar 26, 2009
Only moveable contracts are Leddy and maybe Bailey.

Not sure why you'd want to move Bailey, though. For all his warts, there's absolutely no one to replace him with. Unless you want Tom Kuhnhackl in his spot next season.
Bailey is the softest player on the ice ,never battles in corners never hits ..it’s a shame guy has good skill but refuses to engage.
We need size and speed,we haven’t played physical in a month!

Reactions: Bill Herlyn

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
I think if he played more games like he did last night we’d see better output from Anders Lee.

@PK Cronin said it yesterday. If Barzal shoots more it would loosen up the opposing defense and get some movement in front of the net. That’s where Lee would be able to cash in.
Barzal shooting more has always been the knock but to be fair to him speed is his game and he has ZERO opportunities to express that with the Islanders. He had it one year under Weight's wide open system and he had 86 points. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Weight's system is better but if Barry could open him up just a little bit more (without Lee on his wing) I think he would be more effective overall.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Barzal shooting more has always been the knock but to be fair to him speed is his game and he has ZERO opportunities to express that with the Islanders. He had it one year under Weight's wide open system and he had 86 points. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Weight's system is better but if Barry could open him up just a little bit more (without Lee on his wing) I think he would be more effective overall.
Barzal has a very good shot. He can snipe. I wish he would use it more.

Barzal has more dimensions to his game than skating, speed, and keeping the puck on his stick. He needs to realize he is just as much an offensive threat when he shoots. Especially with the team he has around him.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Barzal has a very good shot. He can snipe. I wish he would use it more.

Barzal has more dimensions to his game than skating, speed, and keeping the puck on his stick. He needs to realize he is just as much an offensive threat when he shoots. Especially with the team he has around him.
I totally agree but my point is that his full arsenal is limited and he can never play a full transition game because Trotz would never let him and he most certainly couldn't do it with Lee on his wing. In fact, if I were him one of my main concerns signing a long term contract with the Isles would be him be stifled in the Trotz system. He's not a defense first guy and the mistakes he makes are more glaring because he's not a natural fit in Trotz system.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I totally agree but my point is that his full arsenal is limited and he can never play a full transition game because Trotz would never let him and he most certainly couldn't do it with Lee on his wing. In fact, if I were him one of my main concerns signing a long term contract with the Isles would be him be stifled in the Trotz system. He's not a defense first guy and the mistakes he makes are more glaring because he's not a natural fit in Trotz system.
So is it really asking too much from Barzal to use the other weapon in his arsenal that we both agree he has, his shot?

Seems to me it’s really up to Barzal to change the way he thinks of the game if he wants to have success here with what we have around him.

Duanesutter12

Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
So is it really asking too much from Barzal to use the other weapon in his arsenal that we both agree he has, his shot?

Seems to me it’s really up to Barzal to change the way he thinks of the game if he wants to have success here with what we have around him.
No, it's a fair point to bring up the fact that he doesn't shoot enough. My point is that he could bring so much more offensively if Trotz just turned him loose a little bit (again, minus Lee on his wing). I get that Trotz is a defense first coach and that's fine but it's clear this team can't score enough so why not open it up just a little bit?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I don't like him with Lee either.

Part of the problem this season is that the Islanders aren't causing turnovers int he neutral zone like they had last season. That's when Barzal really shines in this system because he can use his speed then. I have no problem with Trotz forcing Barzal to becoming a 200 foot player, because Barzal has all the tools to allow him to be one, once he gets that and it becomes second nature I'd want Trotz to give him more leeway.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No, it's a fair point to bring up the fact that he doesn't shoot enough. My point is that he could bring so much more offensively if Trotz just turned him loose a little bit (again, minus Lee on his wing). I get that Trotz is a defense first coach and that's fine but it's clear this team can't score enough so why not open it up just a little bit?
I don't think it matters if Beau is on his wing or Lee. Beau would airmail half his shots a la Michael Grabner off the glass. I doubt he can get it on net enough when he really needs to.

Reactions: Duanesutter12

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
In all seriousness, we need to get Lou out before he does any more damage. I hope the owners see it. He has signed several bad contracts here (Komarov, traded for Martin, JGP). Failed to retain the only good one he did sign (Lehner). Traded 1st and (2) 2nd round picks without filling our biggest need (goal scoring top 6 winger).

How we don't shake up this team after a poor stretch is beyond me. Send someone down, bring someone up.

Reactions: stranger34

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
So what are some realistic scenarios on if this team misses? They’re not firing Lou or Trotz. No first rounder to trade, will be difficult to move all these long term deals that were given to “meh” players

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
So what are some realistic scenarios on if this team misses? They’re not firing Lou or Trotz. No first rounder to trade, will be difficult to move all these long term deals that were given to “meh” players
Surely roll the dice on prospects.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This board has an en masse meltdown. That’s the scenario.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

You can’t fire Lou but ledecky and malkin need to seriously talk to him about moving into a roll as president of hockey ops and need to bring in a younger GM. It’s gonna be a rebuild. The current core isn’t gonna get us anywhere.

i didn’t believe It was possible to be in a playoff spot 65 games into the season and just be this hopeless but this team found a way.

beauvillier Nelson and bailey can all go. Start from scratch. Maybe even trade pulock for a massive return?

or of course keep Lou and double down on sorokin changing the franchise like he did last summer when he let lehner walk. At the end of the day the guys were paying to get it done aren’t getting it done.

of all the forwards making 5+ eberle has been far and away the best down the stretch

Last edited:

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
You’re living some kind of revisionist history. Just like when you were telling is how Arbour worked rookies into his lineups and then you give us Alex McKendry.

But the fact remains the fans wanted Arbour fired before we finally won the first cup.
THE MAKING OF A HOCKEY DYNASTY
Personnel decisions are shared by Arbour and Torrey, who relinquishes precious little control of his team on other matters. And Torrey's loyalty to Arbour is unshakable, even when the Islanders had a rough start in the 1979-80 season and impatient fans hung banners from the Nassau Coliseum reading, ''Trade the coach, not our players'' and ''Maybe it's management.''

McKendry??? That's your example of what I said? Talk about revisionism!

And WOW, a couple of banners equals a mass movement!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad