This Team is Horrible (All Purpose Venting Thread)

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
The cap is going to be $84M at minimum and can go up to $88M (it won't because of escrow).

Barzal at $8.5M
Pulock at $6M
Toews at $2.5M

That puts the team $3.3M over the cap and they'd have to sign a backup goalie still (Sorokin can only cost so much in his first year, let's say $1M).

Lee Barzal Eberle
Ladd Nelson Bailey
Beauvillier Pageau Dal Colle
Johnston Cizikas Komarov
Dal Colle Koivula

Pelech Pulock
Toews Mayfield
Leddy Boychuk
Dobson (could be Aho instead)

Varlamov
Sorokin

Trading Clutterbuck alone would almost free up enough space. I expect a trade or two to create the room necessary, and there might be a trade to bring someone back that could be useful. The "bad" contracts likely don't need to be packaged with anything unless you're talking about Ladd or Boychuk. Even then, Boychuk is serviceable and can still play in the NHL. We'll see what each of the RFAs get though, maybe my estimations are way off.

If we can get Barzal at 8.5 i'd be very happy. My concern is that we are going to be right up against the cap with a really flawed team even after we trade away some salary (I'd move Komarov a million times over before Clutter). Any chance of getting a guy like Hoffman or a legitimate sniping winger, or really making any splash into the UFA market is going to take some serious creativity and I don't trust that Lou has that in him. Clearly you are more optimistic about it than me and good for you, I hope you're right.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Did you mean Art Ross? Because I can't see any way Barzal ever wins a Rocket. Doesn't have the long range shot, and doesn't hang around the net enough to bang in garbage goals/deflections.

Nope, I truly think he has a sneaky good shot.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
For me it's about what has transpired despite the obvious lack of talent.

Did he not win coach of the year his first season here and a Cup the year before?

I guess it's a what have you done for me lately type reason.

Trotz had me at hello.

Lou is an acquired taste.
For me its not about what have you done for me lately. Its about a red flag on the things he says and does. And a red flag on how the caps won that cup after Reirden got more offensive responsibility

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
Please take my bold as the questions I have in order:

1.) Which ones? (Komorav is such a tired argument)
2.) How? What backing do you have?
3.) Seriously? Are you a psychologist?
4.) In which sense has he put the eggs in the Sorokin basket? Do you know his thought process? Do you really think Varly is that bad? Not sure what games you have watched.
5.)Why? Lehner is now Vegas' backup.
6.) What did Griess do for a reward??????????
7.) Why didnt a team like Chicago...who is struggling for decent goal tending...sign him long term?

Weird post dude. Unless you are Robin Lehner or his wife
1. open your eyes. 2. open your eyes. 3. Nobody has to be a psychologist to know a player would be down if he knows his team is going in another direction next season (sorokin). 4. In which sense? think dude. he signed varlamov for this, he is letting greiss go, and he already let Lenher go. He put all the eggs in the sorokin basket. Varlamov has not fit in like Lenher did. 5. Lenher being the vegas backup means what exactly to you? You forgot how good Fluery was for them? And that could be temporary anyway. 6. What did Greiss do for a reward? Um really? wow how short your memory is. Last season, him and Lenher led the league in goals against. Are you forgetting? 7. I would have to be a psychic. Secondly, I was only throwing out ideas. It may be possibly that lenher pissed off Lou or Trotz, and maybe did the same in Chicago. not sure

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
This is " all purpose venting" and not hockey related . If you drive in Manhattan get ready for the next wave of BS tickets . Yesterday the construction crew at 55 Water street ( 15 cars parked on Old Slip) received tickets because their license plate holders blocked Empire State on the plate. New York is across the top above the numbers/ letters and Empire State is across the bottom. These were plate holders issued by dealerships from where the cars were purchased. I can't wait to never have to go to the big toilet bowl of NYC once I retire .
Sparks does the subway so he escaped unaffected except for the bacon and egg ( no cheese) and a 12oz coffee for $9.

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
This is " all purpose venting" and not hockey related . If you drive in Manhattan get ready for the next wave of BS tickets . Yesterday the construction crew at 55 Water street ( 15 cars parked on Old Slip) received tickets because their license plate holders blocked Empire State on the plate. New York is across the top above the numbers/ letters and Empire State is across the bottom. These were plate holders issued by dealerships from where the cars were purchased. I can't wait to never have to go to the big toilet bowl of NYC once I retire .
Sparks does the subway so he escaped unaffected except for the bacon and egg ( no cheese) and a 12oz coffee for $9.
Thumbs up on the breakfast choice.

At that price did it come with a happy ending?

Reactions: bigtim1988

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not a vent, but in Newsday today is an article where Barry Trotz said he’s guilty of overcoaching to compensate for the losses of Cizikas, Pelech, Clutterbuck, etc. Okay, I get that.

But Trotz made it sound like he was leaning on the offense more instead of clamping down even tighter on defense. I don’t see it. The results don’t bear that out and we don’t have the guns for that anyway. Unless he’s referring to games where he shortened his bench and gave the top 2 lines well north of 20 minutes TOI and not rolling 4 lines. His interview with Gross makes it sound like he was purposely going away from what made us successful in the past.

Again, I saw that as coaching out of necessity and playing with the remaining cards in our hand. And certainly not a change in style of play.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Not a vent, but in Newsday today is an article where Barry Trotz said he’s guilty of overcoaching to compensate for the losses of Cizikas, Pelech, Clutterbuck, etc. Okay, I get that.

But Trotz made it sound like he was leaning on the offense more instead of clamping down even tighter on defense. I don’t see it. The results don’t bear that out and we don’t have the guns for that anyway. Unless he’s referring to games where he shortened his bench and gave the top 2 lines well north of 20 minutes TOI and not rolling 4 lines. His interview with Gross makes it sound like he was purposely going away from what made us successful in the past.

Again, I saw that as coaching out of necessity and playing with the remaining cards in our hand. And certainly not a change in style of play.

I think things would be different if guys who shouldn't be in the lineup were not in the lineup, MDC gets heat but Bailey still gets more, even though MDC can't do half the things bailey does. I like Ross and Otto but they are part timers right now at best. Uncle Leo is well... uncle leo. Having depth is one thing, having GOOD depth is another. We don't have GOOD depth. It would help if there was someone who could help with secondary scoring other than JGP but it was non existent before play stopped.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think things would be different if guys who shouldn't be in the lineup were not in the lineup, MDC gets heat but Bailey still gets more, even though MDC can't do half the things bailey does. I like Ross and Otto but they are part timers right now at best. Uncle Leo is well... uncle leo. Having depth is one thing, having GOOD depth is another. We don't have GOOD depth. It would help if there was someone who could help with secondary scoring other than JGP but it was non existent before play stopped.
I agree that depth was a problem for us. We didn’t get good enough D zone play out of guys like Brassard or Leo, but there also weren’t any better options than them in the system or they would have been in the lineup.

Was Trotz’s idea of trying to get some extra offense is keep playing Dal Colle until he busted out for some goals?

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
I agree that depth was a problem for us. We didn’t get good enough D zone play out of guys like Brassard or Leo, but there also weren’t any better options than them in the system or they would have been in the lineup.

Was Trotz’s idea of trying to get some extra offense is keep playing Dal Colle until he busted out for some goals?

What I don't understand is if Leo and Brassard, two experienced vets are making similar mistakes that maybe a bellows is making, we are better off having bellows in the lineup and getting more ice time. That's if Trotz thinks those groups of players are all interchangeable. I'd rather have a young kid (Bellows, MDC, Otto) in the bottom 6 and let them get acclimated.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
For me it's about what has transpired despite the obvious lack of talent.

Did he not win coach of the year his first season here and a Cup the year before?

I guess it's a what have you done for me lately type reason.

Trotz had me at hello.

Lou is an acquired taste.

So the guy with THREE Cup Rings is less credible than the guy with ONE??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad