This is one of the best Art Ross/Rocket Richard races in a long time

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Understand you're in a pissing match right now, but at least get your arguments straight - can you tell many how many series Matthews has won and how many times Matthews has been out of the first round compared to Gaudreau? Just checking because you know, playoff wins and all.

Players don't win playoff rounds. Teams do.

Gaudreau struggles a bit when things get rough come playoff time.

North Man

Feb 17, 2010

You should change your name to Blank Shot because you're just grasping for ammo right now. Enough of the drivel.

My bet is Kucherov coming through and winning it.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Gaudreau's now leading the league in EVP (tied with McDavid).

Those 2 + Crosby are really unbelievable at elevating the play of their linemates and driving offense at ES. I think they are a tier above the rest in that respect.

Gaudreau's on-ice shooting percentage is over 12% which is top ten in the league.

He's more than likely just benefiting from lady luck. This will probably be his peak season, and next season he drops back down into the pack.

This is a classic indicator of over achievement.

He's not Crosby/McDavid tier.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
You should change your name to Blank Shot because you're just grasping for ammo right now. Enough of the drivel.

My bet is Kucherov coming through and winning it.

I'm sorry if you can't face the truth about Johnny.

A run of good shooting percentage luck doesn't put a player in the company of the best.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Yet you bring up playoff wins? Coming from an Oiler fan who's star player just had a sub-par playoff himself. By this logic you can't win with McDavid because he struggles come playoff time and gets carr, 9 points in 13 games? Gaudreau had 9 in 11 in his run, yet Matthews who had 5 in 6 is apparently a playoff winner?

Put down the shovel, you're digging yourself quite a hole.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Yet you bring up playoff wins? Coming from an Oiler fan who's star player just had a sub-par playoff himself. By this logic you can't win with McDavid because he struggles come playoff time, 9 points in 13 games? Gaudreau had 9 in 11, yet Matthews who had 5 in 6 is apparently a playoff winner?

Put down the shovel, you're digging yourself quite a hole.

I didn't bring up playoff wins? I brought up playoff play. Gaudreau's game isn't well suited for the playoffs. Despite scoring 6 points against the Canucks in a very non-playoff like series including 3 points in a 7-4 affair, he hasn't faired well.

Against the Ducks, well they basically made him disappear in both series he has played against them.

He definitely still has yet to prove he can excel in the tight checking playoff game.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Gaudreau's on-ice shooting percentage is over 12% which is top ten in the league.

He's more than likely just benefiting from lady luck. This will probably be his peak season, and next season he drops back down into the pack.

lol except his career shooting percentage is 12.5% so he's actually down from his average (11.7% this year) but keep grasping at straws.

The guy is 11th in scoring since he joined the league and 4th out of players who played more than 200 games since the start of his sophomore season. That plus being in the the top 5 consistently all season this year sure points to him being an "over achiever".

Will be a great feeling when your golden boy finishes behind Johnny in scoring and in the standings this year.

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
lol except his career shooting percentage is 12.5% so he's actually down from his average (11.7% this year) but keep grasping at straws.

On-Ice Shooting %, not individual shooting percentage.

You missed the whole point.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Only way the oilers make the playoffs this year is 8th place. Everything gone right? What about the 17 tired back to back games the oilers played last year, most favourable schedule in the league, the god mode and mvp that was talbot. All while helping the oilers. It all evens out and this year it shows.
Worst part is the Oilers still get far more tired teams and backup goalies this year than the Flames and still loose.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
It's no secret that Edmonton has been bad.

That doesn't make being the 25th best team in the league for the last ten years like the Flames have been into anything resembling an accomplished squad.
Bad? the Oilers are in the running for biggest joke of a franchise in professional sports over the past decade. The Browns would give them a run, though.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017

9 points in 11 games the year they went to the second round. What did Connor have again last year?

are you going to post anything that isn't pure nonsense?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
oh. you're just fishing. got it.

gaudreau leads the league with Mcdavid in even strength points and they have the same number of 3v3 points.

Gaudreau's on ice shooting percentage is 12%. McDavid's is 9%. That means Johhny and his teammates are shooting at 12% when he is on the ice. This kind of thing is never sustainable.

Gaudreau isn't in the same league as players like McDavid, Malkin, and Crosby.

Perhaps you should take up fishing. You seem to know more about that than you know about hockey.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

He's actually 35th in the league in on ice shooting percentage in all situations at 12.02%, which is exactly where you'd expect an elite offensive player to be (his career average is 11.50%). He's been a little bit hot at ES and pretty cold on the PP.

Guys who are ahead of him?

Marchand
Tavares
MacKinnon
Stamkos
Getzlaf
Matthews
Ovechkin
Hall
Pastrnak
Marchessault
Voracek
Benn
Bergeron

So yea, you're wrong.

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
interesting assessment of value. I look at it more as return on production. but if the trophies are your measuring stick, fill your boots.

FWIW, I agree that McDavid is better than Gaudreau. He is the best player in the league IMO. But he is not anywhere close to twice as good. The Flames pay Gaudreau AND Monahan the same as the Oilers will be paying McDavid next year. One is a massive value proposition. The other is not.

Not to worry, Chiarelli has clearly demonstrated that he has the acumen to navigate paying McDavid and Leon 22 mil over the next seven years. He is a guru, really.
McDavid value to the oilers and the league is insurmountable, he is the ageless one, the contract represents that. McDavid might not be 2x the player points wise than Gaudreau and it doesn't matter. It's Connor. The revenue, the eyes from other places to watch oilers games, the sit on the edge of your chair game breaking talent he possesses... every penny is worth it and in this year with the projected cap increase it will be good to us. I get to watch and enjoy a player of his calibre and depending on career, could reminisce on the glory days with McDavid and co to my kids and grandkids. Gaudreau is on the first flight to nj or philly when he's free.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
I remember early in the year I made the statement where I could see Gaudreau competing for the Art Ross, actually cool to see him up there.

Kid has a ton of skill.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Against the Ducks, well they basically made him disappear in both series he has played against them.

He definitely still has yet to prove he can excel in the tight checking playoff game.
He didn't disappear at all, he has 6 points in 9 PO games against the Ducks and has looked dangerous in every game , Let's see if the new slashing rules combat the dirt that teams like Anaheim bring. Ironically Gaudreau has a very good PPG average against the big heavy dirty teams like Anaheim and LA

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Will be a great feeling when your golden boy finishes behind Johnny in scoring and in the standings this year.
Well it won't be a feeling at all because it simply isn't going to happen. Of all the players in the top 12 or so, Gaudreau is the one who concerns me the least when it comes to the Art Ross race.

McDavid is 1 point behind him with 2 less games played, suffering through 20 games of illness and dealing with a historically bad PP and garbage all around him yet his season is still much more impressive than Gaudreau's.

And what is this nonsense putting his name in the same sentence as Matthews in this thread? I mean, all things being equal (age, experience), there isn't a single GM who wouldn't take Matthews 100 times out of 100. Gaudreau is having a great season but let's not pretend he's in that tier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad