Therrien as Head Coach: for how much longer? must find his inner-walrus

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think he'll wait too. But he may be missing out on some opportunities from those teams which are in an even greater panic/desperation mode than the Habs. It's early enough in the season that maybe a few teams think they still have time for a miracle turnaround. Florida liquidated coaching, probably wants to move some players. Edmonton and Philly are making noise (and may have the kinds of GMs most likely to make bad moves under pressure). NJ of course has a lot of incentive to not be terrible... they may have to forfeit a lottery pick otherwise... but probably don't have a GM prone to panicky moves.

It would be a good time to be sniffing around, anyway. May not be anything out there. Smid and Simmonds are names that probably would have a lot of teams interested.

I don't disagree, we should be going after guys. I think we're in a good position and have enough assets to put together good packages. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Bergevin feels the same. Hopefully, he'll be able to land us a marquee free agent next summer.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm not impressed. So therefore it's not "always" more impressive. :dunno:

I also don't believe you have any sound theoretical model. You are just making things up that you pull out of your posterior, like all of us.

Unless you want to prove otherwise? Give us your model, show us the parameters, use it to predict the outcome for the rest of the season for us? I dare you. :P

I don't have many arguments against Therrien now or before. I did however have arguments against Bergevin, which were being made long before the current slump, even when the team was winning, and are now being used by people angry about the slump.

I pointed out the issue of hiring friends, of strange trades, of the Subban bridge contract, and of the Desharnais signing as they were happening. I also have posted detailed explanations of why the Briere signing made no sense, and why we should not expect him to go point per game in the playoffs. You're basically asking me to put in 15,000 words re-explaining and re-writing every single one of those arguments. I'm not going to, they're on the public record, and I know I wrote them and other people remember them, good enough for me. If you're curious, you can find them.

Come playoff time, if we make the playoffs, a lot of posters are going to fail to be surprised when Briere doesn't go point-per-game in the playoffs, even though a lot of them expected him to "go beast mode" based on "his career playoff performance".

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
You missed the point.

My point is that the mood on this forum has shifted because of the losing streak. We're seeing a lot of negativity lately. In truth, all of the bad decisions were already implemented prior to this losing streak, they're just seeming more problematic now because playing teams like Colorado and San Jose has exposed our mediocrity.

I am criticising fans who hate the coach/management due to a losing streak, and then back their positions with arguments that could have been made word-for-word prior to the losing streaks. Their positioning is unscientific.

Most have been criticizing this team for a long time. Management and coaching decisions just solidify those criticisms.

It maybe emotional if it were 3 losses buts it's not. Like I said, it goes back 30 games. The mood has rightfully changed and it's results based of what the fans have seen. It's completely rational. It's more irrational to be a blind optimist thinking everything just gets better

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
He will be fired probably after Christmas because Subban will ask for a trade. Michel Therrien is an old school coach who never update is mentality. He had the chance for the Cup with the Pens and he failed greatly. Guy Boucher is not an NHL coach but a minor coach. I think Muller is gonna be fired soon in Carolina and him or Guy Carbonneau are my choice

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Most have been criticizing this team for a long time. Management and coaching decisions just solidify those criticisms.

It maybe emotional if it were 3 losses buts it's not. Like I said, it goes back 30 games. The mood has rightfully changed and it's results based of what the fans have seen. It's completely rational. It's more irrational to be a blind optimist thinking everything just gets better

not really, 99.9% are just looking for an excuse to whine, it may not be your case but it's the reality.

LouisJCloutier

Aug 4, 2006
Gaspésie
He will be fired probably after Christmas because Subban will ask for a trade. Michel Therrien is an old school coach who never update is mentality. He had the chance for the Cup with the Pens and he failed greatly. Guy Boucher is not an NHL coach but a minor coach. I think Muller is gonna be fired soon in Carolina and him or Guy Carbonneau are my choice

Guy Carbonneau ? I think he's kind of like MT. Doesn't really have a game plan, tell the player to work hard and can't adjust to the other team.

He should be an assistant coach.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Carbonneau already imploded here relatively recently and Muller has been an enormous failure in Carolina.......

I didn't like the Therrien hiring from the start because he has the intellect of a shovel and his cliche riddled rants would quickly wear thin. Unfortunately the pre-requisite condition of a french speaking coach leaves the team without a quality candidate to replace MT.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Carbonneau already imploded here relatively recently and Muller has been an enormous failure in Carolina.......

I didn't like the Therrien hiring from the start because he has the intellect of a shovel and his cliche riddled rants would quickly wear thin. Unfortunately the pre-requisite condition of a french speaking coach leaves the team without a quality candidate to replace MT.

try it out, lets say MT is fired NOW, and you have to replace him NOW, how many QUALITY candidates will you find ? ones that dont speak french ?

your list will go from 3 to what, 4 names ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
try it out, lets say MT is fired NOW, and you have to replace him NOW, how many QUALITY candidates will you find ? ones that dont speak french ?

It's a pretty ridiculous exercise really. It's not like we know much about the assistant coaches in the NHL or coaches from minor leagues.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Need to try and pry Joel Quenneville out of Chicago in the off-season, like how we poached Waite.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You missed the point.

My point is that the mood on this forum has shifted because of the losing streak. We're seeing a lot of negativity lately. In truth, all of the bad decisions were already implemented prior to this losing streak, they're just seeming more problematic now because playing teams like Colorado and San Jose has exposed our mediocrity.

I am criticising fans who hate the coach/management due to a losing streak, and then back their positions with arguments that could have been made word-for-word prior to the losing streaks. Their positioning is unscientific.

I think it started last year, and continued throughout this season. It isn't a simple streak.
I tend to give a season before criticizing, so I laid off it last year. But there were some question marks about his decisions last year, right from the start when he used PK with Bouillon on the bottom pairing up until Diaz got injured.

I never wanted Therrien, but felt he deserved a shot after being hired, it's not like that was going to change so might as well wait to see if he changed. Sadly he didn't, and the more time he's here the more evident it is.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

33% increase is pretty significant. Tell your boss it isn't and let me know if you need someone to help you write your CV :naughty:

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Out of work ?

He was in Montréal not two weeks ago with the Sharks.

My house ldo

2Zhjpok.png

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I don't have many arguments against Therrien now or before. I did however have arguments against Bergevin, which were being made long before the current slump, even when the team was winning, and are now being used by people angry about the slump.

I pointed out the issue of hiring friends, of strange trades, of the Subban bridge contract, and of the Desharnais signing as they were happening. I also have posted detailed explanations of why the Briere signing made no sense, and why we should not expect him to go point per game in the playoffs. You're basically asking me to put in 15,000 words re-explaining and re-writing every single one of those arguments. I'm not going to, they're on the public record, and I know I wrote them and other people remember them, good enough for me. If you're curious, you can find them.

Come playoff time, if we make the playoffs, a lot of posters are going to fail to be surprised when Briere doesn't go point-per-game in the playoffs, even though a lot of them expected him to "go beast mode" based on "his career playoff performance".

I had arguments about them both long before the slump. Come off your high horse, most of us evaluated the deals as they were being made. Therrien was a bad hire from the beginning, this slump doesn't change that.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I had arguments about them both long before the slump. Come off your high horse, most of us evaluated the deals as they were being made. Therrien was a bad hire from the beginning, this slump doesn't change that.

There have been posters who were willing to make proactive arguments against some moves BEFORE the tide turned and it was clear as day.

DA's not asking for credit here, he's just saying that he's not going to rehash thousands of words of arguments over why the Subban bridge deal was a bad one or why Desharnais should not have been extended or Therrien was a mediocre choice from the get go.

We've all gone over that.

And unless Briere has the fountain of youth stuck up his ass, he's going to be a bust of a signing too.

I don't want Bergevin fired - I just want him to do a good job.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Signing ****ing Briere...

There's just absolutely no excuse for that.

I'd say we should wait and see on that one... After all, it's only the first quarter of the first season of his two years deal. Plenty of time to prove you wrong.

And just in case... :sarcasm:

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
What about Peter Laviolette? Dont know much about him but he likes tough teams and flyers were good before the richards/carter trades...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I would have rather have brought back Martin + Muller combo over Therrien if that was ever possible. They had a boring system, but at least the team had some structure. Hell, they made the Canadiens look better than what they were.

I don't care if we're a boring team, I just want a win. Just bring in a coach who can coach, leave the motivating to the assistants if the head coach can't motivate. This is the best roster on paper we've had since the 08-09 team (on paper), no reason why it should barely be better than what Martin had in 2010-2011.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
At this point be glad that Boucher is an option. Surely he's a better choice than Therrien, both tactically and in terms of motivation.

Stamkos thrived under Boucher - it was the awful management and goaltending which did him in. If Yzerman didn't fire Boucher, he was going to get fired himself.

People seem to forget that Guy Boucher was one win away from reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in his first year in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad