Therrien as Head Coach: for how much longer? must find his inner-walrus

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Wow. Genius.

As one of Patrick Roy's biggest supporters on this site, I'm glad he wasn't hired. I'm hoping that if Therrien implodes enough, we can scrap the coach has to be french thing, especially when you combine it with MB's other failed signings (DD & Briere).

If Roy was hired and we had a 11-1 start, we'd be stuck with a french coach for another 50 years even if we didn't win nothing with that coach.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
As one of Patrick Roy's biggest supporters on this site, I'm glad he wasn't hired. I'm hoping that if Therrien implodes enough, we can scrap the coach has to be french thing, especially when you combine it with MB's other failed signings (DD & Briere).

If Roy was hired and we had a 11-1 start, we'd be stuck with a french coach for another 50 years even if we didn't win nothing with that coach.

stuck with a 11-1 coach ? I'd take that everyday and twice on sunday...

guess some here are still missing the glory days of Bob Berry and Cunneyworth... :laugh:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Plain and simple, Roy is too much of a figure in Montreal for Bergevin. Doesn't want to share the limelight so he went with someone ugly as hell who won't be around for long! :rant:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think DA was saying that the evidence was already there. No subjectivity was required.
He may have been correct, but it still wasn't "evidence", it's was still just a subjective prediction... and not based on any "model" either, just good general reasoning... portioned out in 15,000 posts or whatever. Still not "scientific" in any way. Most fans predicted the team would just be battling for a playoff spot, though. If they fall back out of the playoff race before Christmas, and if that was what DA was predicting, kudos to him for that prediction. We'll have little else to celebrate if that happens. :(

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar

I think you have to give up any such hopes. Molson is onboard with the whole hiring process, and I can't see it changing. Which is fine, there were candidates, clearly, good ones, and will be again. Therrien could even be a solid "secret plan" kind of coach, if he makes the players hate him enough, then it usually helps springboard his replacement to some quicker success. :dunno:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

I am also a huge Patrick Roy fan.

But I disagree with your assessment. Not hiring Roy was a huge mistake. Temper or not, the man knows how to coach.

Losing Roy the first time set this organization back a couple of decades.

Losing Roy the second time looks like will have a very similar result.

The pool of talented French speaking coaches is very very small.

Unless......and a huge unless......the organization decides to remove itself from the failed belief that only coaches who are fluent in French are capable of coaching a team in Montreal, we are looking at continued years of frustration. Unfortunately, I dont see that happening any time soon.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I think you have to give up any such hopes. Molson is onboard with the whole hiring process, and I can't see it changing. Which is fine, there were candidates, clearly, good ones, and will be again. Therrien could even be a solid "secret plan" kind of coach, if he makes the players hate him enough, then it usually helps springboard his replacement to some quicker success. :dunno:

The entire hiring process was engineered by Serge Savard, his fingerprints are all over the current situation. The only hope for the future, and I admit it's slim hope, is that Geoff Molson begins feeling more comfortable sitting in a hockey man's chair (president) and is more active in getting current hockey people involved in the process.

I say that in anticipation of the need to replace Bergevin eventually in a 5 year window. His performance has red flags all over it, starting with the hiring of Therrien. But more importantly I can't distinguish this administration from previous ones in terms of the types of people they hire the types of players they pursue, we just have some new slogans on the wall like "Build through the draft" and "no excuses".

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
The entire hiring process was engineered by Serge Savard, his fingerprints are all over the current situation. The only hope for the future, and I admit it's slim hope, is that Geoff Molson begins feeling more comfortable sitting in a hockey man's chair (president) and is more active in getting current hockey people involved in the process.

I say that in anticipation of the need to replace Bergevin eventually in a 5 year window. His performance has red flags all over it, starting with the hiring of Therrien. But more importantly I can't distinguish this administration from previous ones in terms of the types of people they hire the types of players they pursue, we just have some new slogans on the wall like "Build through the draft" and "no excuses".

Yep. At the core it's same **** dif day.

I had really high hopes for Bergevin, but started having my doubts when he hired Therrien again and the picture ain't getting any prettier.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
I'm pretty much back to feeling about Therrien how I did in 2002, aka wanting his ass gone.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011

That's some terrible logic. Roy is a better coach than Therrien and that's all that matters. The french population will always want to voice its opinion no matter what.

68*

His hair bothers me. I don't like the comb over look.

Laviolette has a full head of hair. Would be my top choice.
Boucher has a full head of hair too and a badass scar on his cheek. Another good option.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
It's not the lack of hair. It's the pretend there's no lack of hair. Not very distinguished. How does he know what's good for the team if he lies to himself about having hair?

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
It's not the lack of hair. It's the pretend there's no lack of hair. Not very distinguished. How does he know what's good for the team if he lies to himself about having hair?

Like he pretends hes an NHL coach. This guy figured it out.

68*

If someone has time photoshop Therrien with a shaved head. I wanna see how he would look like.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I am also a huge Patrick Roy fan.

But I disagree with your assessment. Not hiring Roy was a huge mistake. Temper or not, the man knows how to coach.

Losing Roy the first time set this organization back a couple of decades.

Losing Roy the second time looks like will have a very similar result.

The pool of talented French speaking coaches is very very small.

Unless......and a huge unless......the organization decides to remove itself from the failed belief that only coaches who are fluent in French are capable of coaching a team in Montreal, we are looking at continued years of frustration. Unfortunately, I dont see that happening any time soon.

care to name the last non french speaking coach to have brought a cup to Habsland ?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
care to name the last non french speaking coach to have brought a cup to Habsland ?

You have a valid point.

However, times have changed during the 20 years without a Cup. I am hoping that the Habs change along with the times.

Who do you think fits the requirement that would be better than Therrien? I am hard pressed to think of anyone. Boucher is probably the best. But.........

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You have a valid point.

However, times have changed during the 20 years without a Cup. I am hoping that the Habs change along with the times.

Who do you think fits the requirement that would be better than Therrien? I am hard pressed to think of anyone. Boucher is probably the best. But.........

meh, hard to say as outside the big names like Boucher or Laviolette, there's probably a few great coaches we've ever heard of in Ohio, in Natashquan, whatever... and contrary to players, we wont find youtubes of their best decisions behind the bench so... ;)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He may have been correct, but it still wasn't "evidence", it's was still just a subjective prediction... and not based on any "model" either, just good general reasoning... portioned out in 15,000 posts or whatever. Still not "scientific" in any way. Most fans predicted the team would just be battling for a playoff spot, though. If they fall back out of the playoff race before Christmas, and if that was what DA was predicting, kudos to him for that prediction. We'll have little else to celebrate if that happens. :(

I don't feel like educating you on epistemology, as you are making too many discouraging fundamental errors, but suffice it to say, there is no such thing as model-independent reasoning. There is always a model. Some models are better than others, and the way to gauge that is to count the accuracy of their predictions.

I hope that Bergevin begins to improve. Time will tell.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't feel like educating you on epistemology, as you are making too many discouraging fundamental errors, but suffice it to say, there is no such thing as model-independent reasoning. There is always a model. Some models are better than others, and the way to gauge that is to count the accuracy of their predictions.

I hope that Bergevin begins to improve. Time will tell.

good to know my coin flipping technique is a good model :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->