Therrien as Head Coach: for how much longer? must find his inner-walrus

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
People seem to forget that Guy Boucher was one win away from reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in his first year in the NHL.

I think Bouchers defensive system in Tampa fell apart mainly due to lack of goaltending, I think hes still a good coach. But Id rather explore options before going back to a Jacques Martin style whenever Therrien inevitably leaves the organization.

I doubt he will get fired this season, barring he tries to put himself and his favourites above the rest of the team. IE creating locker room problems with a guy like Subban, Price, Eller would be a sure fire way to get him fired.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Colorado Avalanche Verified account
‏@Avalanche

Roy on film review: "I could [show mistakes], but I don't like to. Embarrass the player? The last thing you want."

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It's a pretty ridiculous exercise really. It's not like we know much about the assistant coaches in the NHL or coaches from minor leagues.

going by whoever we "know" is still a good indication.

So far the list would be something like : Boucher, Laviolette... take out the guy who doesnt speak french and the list becomes : Boucher.

and the last time Habs needed to hire a HC, looks in hindsight like the best candidate was another frenchie, P. Roy...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
going by whoever we "know" is still a good indication.

So far the list would be something like : Boucher, Laviolette... take out the guy who doesnt speak french and the list becomes : Boucher.

and the last time Habs needed to hire a HC, looks in hindsight like the best candidate was another frenchie, P. Roy...

Well personally, I don't think it's a good indication. A lot of new coaches come from minor leagues or are assistant moving up to a head coaching position. So ya, if we go with what we know, the list is rather small, but that shows how very little we know, not that there's no options.

Not that I'm saying we should replace Therrien, but by year's end, that might change.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
As much as I hate Therrien, he doesn't deserve to be fired, yet.

However I hope, if things continue this season, at the end of the year Boucher could still be an option. He was far from perfect with Tampa (actually this board back in his first year reminds me of the Roy hype right now - give it at least a year before you determine if he's the messiah or not), but I can't really blame him for that team's flaws, and I think he's a better tactician than Therrien - and probably even a more balanced motivator.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Was listening to NHL network today and Brian Wilde came on. He brought up the CH24 and how we embarrass our players publicly and that the team's highest levels (Bergevin, Therrien) approve every episode before it airs.

To me this is a huge mistake, not just with the insane screaming on Subban but look at what they do with Leblanc. Once again, this just strikes me as a tactical error on the part of our leadership.

Wilde also said the Bergevin himself has said that doesn't want PK playing lots of minutes because the more minutes you play you tend to get sloppier. Wilde strongly disagreed with this argument and so do I.

Just seems like a rookie GM making rookie mistakes.

Timelord

Stanley Cup polisher
Dec 18, 2011
Wilde also said the Bergevin himself has said that doesn't want PK playing lots of minutes because the more minutes you play you tend to get sloppier. Wilde strongly disagreed with this argument and so do I.

Therrien and Bergevin know from experience when they played too many minutes as defensemen.:sarcasm:

Apr 28, 2010
‏@Avalanche

Roy on film review: "I could [show mistakes], but I don't like to. Embarrass the player? The last thing you want."

MT does it a lot to his players. When you think too much about not making a mistake, i think it'll just lead you to making more of them.

I think this is why the team is playing the way they are right now? MT doesnt trust them? Just my theory.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
MT does it a lot to his players. When you think too much about not making a mistake, i think it'll just lead you to making more of them.

I think this is why the team is playing the way they are right now? MT doesnt trust them? Just my theory.
Sometimes you need to change it up. If a coach is too nice the team may get complacent... too hard and they start to doubt themselves. I think MT needs to ease off a bit right now. Guys are holding their sticks a little tight these days.

And those 24CH episodes need to be more scrutinized and edited before they hit the airwaves.... that's just common sense.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
As much as I hate Therrien, he doesn't deserve to be fired, yet.

However I hope, if things continue this season, at the end of the year Boucher could still be an option. He was far from perfect with Tampa (actually this board back in his first year reminds me of the Roy hype right now - give it at least a year before you determine if he's the messiah or not), but I can't really blame him for that team's flaws, and I think he's a better tactician than Therrien - and probably even a more balanced motivator.

No matter the coach, there has to be an upgrade on the ice.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Was listening to NHL network today and Brian Wilde came on. He brought up the CH24 and how we embarrass our players publicly and that the team's highest levels (Bergevin, Therrien) approve every episode before it airs.

To me this is a huge mistake, not just with the insane screaming on Subban but look at what they do with Leblanc. Once again, this just strikes me as a tactical error on the part of our leadership.

Just seems like a rookie GM making rookie mistakes.

Im so done with Bergevin

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

I don't really think it's that. He's a natural bully. You think this man could ever admit a mistake publicly?

Frankly, I don't believe he can admit one to himself. He's slowly but surely alienating his players.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I don't really think it's that. He's a natural bully. You think this man could ever admit a mistake publicly?

Frankly, I don't believe he can admit one to himself. He's slowly but surely alienating his players.

you wont find many NHL coaches doing so... you'll be lucky to find 3 in the last decade.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
They need to simply to do away with it. A serious organisation doesn't take part in that reality tv bs.

They're serious about making money. It's a business after all.

I do think they need to work on making the segments less dramatic, and a little more fun.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
you wont find many NHL coaches doing so... you'll be lucky to find 3 in the last decade.

Should have been more clear. When a coach accepts responsibility, he says, " we didn't respond hard enough", or something like that. "We" includes the coaches.

"Subban lost the game for us" is the antithesis of that. And yes, coaches never say it was their fault, literally.

Therrien is a simpleton and a bully. He apparently doesn't realise his enforcer is the 13th forward.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Sorry, what's unscientific about making an evaluation after collecting the observational data instead of making an evaluation based on subjective predictions/opinions? :dunno:

I think DA was saying that the evidence was already there. No subjectivity was required.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I wasn't talking about being able to technically do it. My point was that it doesn't work. It's the recipe for being a PO bubble team, as we've been forever now.
Bournival, Leblanc, Dumont, Holland, they're 3rd-4th liners. Bourny might be a top 6, but I don't think he'll amount to that. We've seen many young guys coming from the AHL find early success thanks to the high of taking their first NHL steps. I'm not expecting these guys to amount to much. They can become key role players, but we need impact guys on the top 6.
Tinordi and Beaulieu are in the AHL, still not sure where I put them in terms of premiere role.

The Oilers could have become a very solid team. See the Blackhawks? The Pens?? I'm not suggesting to grab lottery picks for a few years and give them the reigns of the team. But if you rebuild through the draft, you do it for more than one year. If you think you have enough good prospects, then you need to make big push for other players that can hold a big impact on your team, so either you make trades or big signings.
If you think you're just going to wait for your prospects to come around and hope for some later picks to become surprising premiere players, then you might be waiting for a long time.

Very good post. Bergy cannot rely on draft alone. He needs to start acting through trade. He has a tough year coming.

Guys here forget or were too young to remember trades like the one for Bobby Smith, which was huge for Habs and that subsequent cup.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
‏@Avalanche

Wow. Genius.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad