Therrien as Head Coach: for how much longer? must find his inner-walrus

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I'd rather Guy Boucher from an Xs and Os standpoint but Therrien's team is very motivated and offensively minded, he does deserve a lot of kudos for that. If Bergevin took away his favourite toys (Bouillon, Desharnais) we'd be much stronger.

mods, I think someone hacked his account

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
You guys need to chill out. Therrien is a good coach. The reason we hate his guts now is because of his favoritism towards Bouillon and Desharnais.

I'm not sure you can say a good coach shows favoritism towards weak players. That's usually the sign of...a bad coach.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
What has Therrien done since he's been here?

From worst to 2nd in the East last year. Playoffs were a bust however (Eller, Price, MacLean).

This year, with more injuries to important players than practically any team, the Habs are 8 and 6 and 6th at the moment with important injured players returning soon.

Yes, the DD situation is tricky. At the moment, what's he to do? Scratch him for Holland? He's giving DD every chance and DD is hanging himself. We'll see very soon how MT will handle DD when Patches, Prust, Moen and company return. We'll also see if Bouillon is scratched when Emelin returns. If DD still sucks in three weeks but maintains his 3rd line role with some PP time and Bouillon plays instead of Diaz or Murray in three weeks, then we can all ***** and moan. Right now, there's not much he can do. A productive DD is important and he's giving him every (to many maybe) chance to turn things around.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm not sure you can say a good coach shows favoritism towards weak players. That's usually the sign of...a bad coach.

Under Therrien the team looks hungry, aggressive and fast. It's night and day between Therrien and Martin - we just have to get rid of the imbecile in charge of the PK and defense and forcibly remove Bouillon and Desharnais from the toy chest.

He's a mediocre tactician but a fine coach - I wanted him gone after the fiasco against the Sens and still don't think he's the best option available but with some relatively minor tweaks we might be able to overcome his drawbacks. He's not going anywhere when we are around .500, scoring in bunches and have injuries - Bergevin is too faithful for that.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

No that's usually sign of being... a coach. Almost every single coach in the league does this.

Hang out in other teams board sometimes. I not satig it's good, but coaches will be coaches

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Under Therrien the team looks hungry, aggressive and fast. It's night and day between Therrien and Martin - we just have to get rid of the imbecile in charge of the PK and defense and forcibly remove Bouillon and Desharnais from the toy chest.

He's a mediocre tactician but a fine coach - I wanted him gone after the fiasco against the Sens and still don't think he's the best option available but with some relatively minor tweaks we might be able to overcome his drawbacks. He's not going anywhere when we are around .500, scoring in bunches and have injuries - Bergevin is too faithful for that.

I don't disagree with your comments, it's just that a coach showing favourtism towards bad players over good players is absolutely an example of bad coaching.

Good coaches generally go with the best players.

I don't think that defines Therrien as a bad coach, but that particular comment that I replied to made me laugh, because a good coach wouldn't put out weaker players against the competition due to his personal relationship with them. At least you'd hope they wouldn't.

No that's usually sign of being... a coach. Almost every single coach in the league does this.

Hang out in other teams board sometimes. I not satig it's good, but coaches will be coaches

Almost every single coach in the league puts out weaker players instead of their stronger players?

Come again?

I'm all for playing everyone, but poor player selection is not a sign of a good coach.

Personally I don't think Therrien is a bad coach. Nor do I think he's a particularly good coach. I'd say he's decent. He gets out-coached a lot and has a hard time adapting, but he has done a decent job bringing along some of our kids (notably Gallagher and Galchenyuk).

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
@ gonzo

I meant having favorites. And besides bouillon is nowhere near as bad as this Board makes him out to be. He's overused yes, but that's the coach playing favorites and all coaches do that

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
@ gonzo

I meant aging favorites. And besides bouillon is nowhere near as bad as this makes
it out to be. He's overused yes, but that's the coach playing favorites and all coaches do that

Fair enough. However usually coaches do it with good veterans that can hold the fort when the game matters, using their high hockey IQ and experience polished decision making.

Bouillon is a #6. There's no way he should be out there when the game matters.

However I have reached my limit of crying over spilled milk, and I should stop here. :laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I dunno, but I'm really tired of the triennal head coach switch.

But I guess MB knew what he got with Therrien -- a very great coach... for a 3 or 4 year stint that will be good for the team as a whole and will make it somewhat easier for next coach....

But who'll get outcoached here and there.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Besides, ALL COACHES have favorites who leave the fanbase scratching their heads.
It just happens that MT current favorites are respectively a guy that lost some edge and is on his swansong, and another one who might not be in the NHL for long if he continues to play this way.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I dunno, but I'm really tired of the triennal head coach switch.

But I guess MB knew what he got with Therrien -- a very great coach...

I've seen him be out-coached way too often to agree that he's a very great coach. That's usually the description given to the best coaches in the league.

Therrien is what I would describe as a mediocre coach. Not great, not terrible. He has a hard time adapting on the fly and uses the wrong personnel on the ice, however he manages the kids fairly well.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
MT needs to get some solid veteran assistant coaches who can tell him what to do during games. The ass-clowns he has right now are a joke.

Practices and in the locker room, he's a good rah rah guy, but in game situations, he's terrible, he's completely lost.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I've seen him be out-coached way too often to agree that he's a very great coach. That's usually the description given to the best coaches in the league.

Therrien is what I would describe as a mediocre coach. Not great, not terrible. He has a hard time adapting on the fly and uses the wrong personnel on the ice, however he manages the kids fairly well.

... you realize that what you did is basically what I'll do with your post?

agree that he's a very great coach manages the kids fairly well.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Fair enough. However usually coaches do it with good veterans that can hold the fort when the game matters, using their high hockey IQ and experience polished decision making.

Bouillon is a #6. There's no way he should be out there when the game matters.

However I have reached my limit of crying over spilled milk, and I should stop here. :laugh:

No I'm with you, boo is overused sure, that's his fault. But overall he's done a very good job. I mean pitts fans wanted bylsma fire last year. No coach is perfect and I feel like we have a good one for now

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
... you realize that what you did is basically what I'll do with your post?

Except that I presented a reasoning why he's a mediocre coach (Gets out-coached a lot, doesn't put the right personnel on the ice quite often). He can't adapt very well during a game and that's a huge knock against a coach.

Tell me why you think "He's a very great coach", keeping in mind that's about as high of an acclaim as you can give a head coach in the NHL. There's not much better than "very great", is there?

He hasn't been terrible, I don't think he's done particularly great either. He's been ok.

Limiting the rookies ice time was good, but again not enough to declare him a "very great coach". That's kind of the go-to tactic with rookies (easier ice time, easier zone starts, lower QoC). If that's all it takes to become a "very great coach", it probably means there are 30 "very great" coaches in the NHL.

No I'm with you, boo is overused sure, that's his fault. But overall he's done a very good job. I mean pitts fans wanted bylsma fire last year. No coach is perfect and I feel like we have a good one for now

If I recall correctly there was a "Should we fire Quenneville" thread in the Hawks forum right up until they won the Cup last year, heh. Fanatics gonna fanatic. I'm glad we have a message board to discuss it, or else my girlfriend would probably get sick of me discussing Habs TOI-usage.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
When will he get fired?...

see poll.

Stupid Poll. If Habs are healthy by mid Nov and keep playing 500 or worse, Therrien is gone before end of season. And it will be deserved. This team has too much talent to miss the PO when healthy.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Except that I presented a reasoning why he's a mediocre coach (Gets out-coached a lot, doesn't put the right personnel on the ice quite often). He can't adapt very well during a game and that's a huge knock against a coach.

Tell me why you think "He's a very great coach", keeping in mind that's about as high of an acclaim as you can give a head coach in the NHL. There's not much better than "very great", is there?

Great when the team isn't expecting to actually win.

Take out the very in my quote if you want.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Great when the team isn't expecting to actually win.

I don't think lowered expectations from outside sources is a good enough reason to tag Therrien with a word like "great".

If he was a great coach he wouldn't get out-coached as often as he does.

He wouldn't put Bouillon or Murray on the ice to close out games.

He wouldn't put DD on the powerplay instead of rewarding players that deserve it.

He would play Subban on the PK (albeit it's hard to do when PK is continuously in the box).

Great coach? Not even close. There aren't a lot of great coaches around. A lot of good ones, a few great ones, some bad, and the rest are in the middle.

Therrien is closer to the middle in my opinion, due to his short comings that I described above.

One thing I can say, is that he's done a decent job recently, considering the injuries. However every single team goes through injuries, and we're (sadly) not even in the top 5 of injured teams.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
I think Therrien will get the year and he'll get another if they make the playoffs comfortably. If they miss or sneak into 8th and get swept, he'll be on a short leash going into next season.

In fairness, what he is working with right now is a 6th-8th place team. In my opinion they are not under-achieving and the results to date are to be expected of the team being iced. A lot of rookies, young players, vets who are past their prime. Carey Price is a good goalie but will not win games consistently by himself and needs help.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Stupid Poll. If Habs are healthy by mid Nov and keep playing 500 or worse, Therrien is gone before end of season. And it will be deserved. This team has too much talent to miss the PO when healthy.

Problem is there are a lot of crappy teams... So even with MT as coach we will make the playoffs thanks to guys like Price, Subban, etc..

I think we're stuck with this ****ing pig-face coach for at least 1 full calendar year and that's being optimistic...

Like someone pointed out, MB is a very loyal man and MT is a coach with a good ''character''.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Problem is there are a lot of crappy teams... So even with MT as coach we will make the playoffs thanks to guys like Price, Subban, etc..

I think we're stuck with this ****ing pig-face coach for at least 1 full calendar year and that's being optimistic...

Like someone pointed out, MB is a very loyal man and MT is a coach with a good ''character''.

I criticize Therrien as much as the next guy, but would MB even have grounds to fire him if he wanted?

He did finish first last year (albeit a late tailspin like that in a 82 game season would have put us struggling to make the playoffs) and he currently has us sitting in a playoff spot.

He has his negative aspects, sure, but there's really no valid reason to fire him on the spot. He should get at least 1 full year to see if he can improve on his weaker points.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

I was not a fan of Martin, but he never had Galchenyuk, Gallagher or even a healthy Markov in his lineup.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I've gone ahead and registered FireTherrien.com in preparation of the implending losing streak where he'll continue to be out-coached as he has been his entire tenure as Habs head coach.

So you think he was outcoached last year, yet managed to take the last place team in the east to second overall? I sure do hope he continues to get outcoached like that!

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I don't think lowered expectations from outside sources is a good enough reason to tag Therrien with a word like "great".

If he was a great coach he wouldn't get out-coached as often as he does.

He wouldn't put Bouillon or Murray on the ice to close out games.

He wouldn't put DD on the powerplay instead of rewarding players that deserve it.

He would play Subban on the PK (albeit it's hard to do when PK is continuously in the box).

Great coach? Not even close. There aren't a lot of great coaches around. A lot of good ones, a few great ones, some bad, and the rest are in the middle.

Therrien is closer to the middle in my opinion, due to his short comings that I described above.

One thing I can say, is that he's done a decent job recently, considering the injuries. However every single team goes through injuries, and we're (sadly) not even in the top 5 of injured teams.

I am sorry but I do not understand how he is being out coached...

He wouldn't put Bouillon or Murray on the ice to close out games...we only dress 6 d-man and are 2 best D can not play the last 8 minutes of the game...he has to use what he has...NO???:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad