2023 NFL/NCAA/HS Football Thread

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Yeah, one thing about Blank is that he usually isn't overly meddlesome.

The reasoning Fontenot and Morris gave was that they don't expect to be picking as highly any time soon, so it was their only opportunity to get a replacement for Cousins. That's fine but when you're a win now team you can't be wasting a high pick on someone that isn't going to help you for years.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
The reaction to the falcons picking penix is an overreaction honestly. I think it's a good move in the long run.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It would have made sense if they didn't just make Cousins one of the highest paid QBs in the league.

And this is a kid that turns 24 in two weeks. He isn't someone that should be sitting for 2+ years.

And all that is before we get into his knee issues.

On top of it they got terrible value. Penix would have been there later in the draft. They very easily could have traded back, got more picks and still taken Penix.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I would cope by accepting this if I hadn't just argued against it 5 posts ago

We haven't had a decent pass rush in 10 years and finally have a good roster with a weak schedule and a division there for the taking and we do this at 8oa? Adding a decent pass rusher would have allowed us to basically waltz into the postseason.
lol guess I’m going to get an answer to my question why more teams don’t do this. Kurt is only signed for four years let him play 3 bring in penix year 4 it’s not a terrible world ending move as many are making it

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, one thing about Blank is that he usually isn't overly meddlesome.

The reasoning Fontenot and Morris gave was that they don't expect to be picking as highly any time soon, so it was their only opportunity to get a replacement for Cousins. That's fine but when you're a win now team you can't be wasting a high pick on someone that isn't going to help you for years.
Yeah this is also vastly different than what Green Bay did too….Love and Rodgers went in the 20’s, this guy went at 8. A lot more capital you’re sinking into future depth.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Unfortunately for me I think the Jets made a really smart decision going OL. That line is a disaster and all of the good lineman they do have have can't stay healthy.

I was really hoping they'd invest in more skill position players but they made the correct call IMO.

I think the Bills are going Ladd McKonkey tonight, apparently they fell in love with him during the process and have met with him multiple times. I'm not sure if they stay at 32 or trade back a bit further. There's usually a bidding war for #33 because everyone wants to jump up and catch falling 1st rounders.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
lol guess I’m going to get an answer to my question why more teams don’t do this. Kurt is only signed for four years let him play 3 bring in penix year 4 it’s not a terrible world ending move as many are making it

For better or worse, the NFL is a win now league so there's more pressure to plug in immediate needs rather than setting yourself up 3-4 years down the road. The average lifespan of an NFL head coach isn't great; Quick glance and only 12 of the 32 head coaches from 2021 are still with their teams. Ideally you want to take advantage of the production a guy gives you on his rookie deal before you might have to pay him much more on a 2nd contract.

------------

It's funny, for years I told my Chargers friends that they were built like a fantasy football team and needed to beef up the offensive line so they could run the ball and control the clock. And then ironically I wanted them to draft a WR with #5 and feel a bit squeamish about them taking a OT.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It's kind of like when my Bucs had Brady and then they took Trask in the second round rather than giving the team someone who could help immediately to try and run it back. Trask spent that following season as the third string, rarely even dressed, and has now been surpassed by Baker.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
It would have made sense if they didn't just make Cousins one of the highest paid QBs in the league.

And this is a kid that turns 24 in two weeks. He isn't someone that should be sitting for 2+ years.

And all that is before we get into his knee issues.

On top of it they got terrible value. Penix would have been there later in the draft. They very easily could have traded back, got more picks and still taken Penix.
Agree with most of this, except the trading back part. Atl obviously really liked Penix, very possible some other team did as well, if you trade back with the intent of drafting him later, and then he is picked ahead of you, well, you just effed up. If he's your guy, you pick him where you are at.

Everything else about this pick though is a head scratcher.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Agree with most of this, except the trading back part. Atl obviously really liked Penix, very possible some other team did as well, if you trade back with the intent of drafting him later, and then he is picked ahead of you, well, you just effed up. If he's your guy, you pick him where you are at.

Everything else about this pick though is a head scratcher.
Do you think the Saints are a top NFL organization? Maybe decent but not great? Then what can you say about the team that has tried to take all the Saints cast offs since 2006?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Do you think the Saints are a top NFL organization? Maybe decent but not great? Then what can you say about the team that has tried to take all the Saints cast offs since 2006?
Are we talking about Atlanta here?

I honestly have no clue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad