Therrien as Head Coach: for how much longer? must find his inner-walrus

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He won't be fired. His contract expires next summer and he won't be extended.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You're 100% right but I suspect many young posters won't want to acknowledge that.

"Young posters" is an interesting shot to take. What's your definition of young?

HFHabs rags on players because that's how we are, and if any of you meta-critics would lurk on other boards you'd understand that that's how everybody on HF behaves. And in actuality, that's how everyone on the internet behaves.

So it's not a matter of young or old, experienced or not, people have favourites - it's how it works.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
So you think he was outcoached last year, yet managed to take the last place team in the east to second overall? I sure do hope he continues to get outcoached like that!

They did take the Stanley Cup Champions to OT in game 7 of the first round the season before finishing last.

The last place finish is an aberration. They weren't that bad.

MT isn't a bad coach per se. He's an incredible motivator for young kids from the looks of it, but he's a horrible coach when he needs to make adjustments. He lacks the hockey IQ to make in-game adjustments that's in-front of him.

He's like a Sam Mitchell in basketball. He's an awesome motivator, but terrible at in game adjustments.

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
I forget the exact phrase Molson used, but at the Bergevin hiring PC, he emphasized that he was committing longterm to his GM and eventual coach. He wanted to instill a team (family) mentality that had been missing for years in the organisation.

I'm pretty sure Molson has committed to himself to give them a really good chance. I'd say he starts to evaluate in 3-4 seasons if the same men will steer his ship.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Within the next 2 years but that's just based on the fact NHL coaches usually last about 3years on average.

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Early candidate list:

Guy Boucher
Éric Veilleux
Jean-François Houle
Peter Laviolette
André Tourigny
Clément Jodoin
Gérard Gallant
Benoit Groulx
Marc Crawford
Sylvain Lefebvre
Pascal Vincent
Larry Robinson
Dominique Ducharme
Philippe Boucher

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Early candidate list:

Guy Boucher
Éric Veilleux
Jean-François Houle
Peter Laviolette
André Tourigny
Clément Jodoin
Gérard Gallant
Benoit Groulx
Marc Crawford
Sylvain Lefebvre
Pascal Vincent
Larry Robinson
Dominique Ducharme
Philippe Boucher

Pierre Laviolette et Gérard Gallant ne parlez-vous pas.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Any coach needs players to work with no? Bergevin needs to get MT some better bigger players and unload some midgets, could quenville or mike Babcock do any better with our roster than Therrien is doing? I don't think so, you need the players, plain and simple and we don't have enough of what we need .

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Deharnais has been awful. Briere has been inconsequential, and may have to go on LTIR. Gionta is useful, but needs to be more creative. His offensive play is absurdly predictable.

We lose DD and are much better off. I actually like him, but he's not producing on any level.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
His approach will wear thin with the athletes quickly, as it has at all his pro stops. Short of the team winning a cup despite his bungling, the wheels will eventually fall off & MB will succumb to the pressure both internally & externally to make the change.

Bet G.Boucher is next in line unless Quenville magically becomes available.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Let's not go into that debate again....but his stay with us is TOTALLY dependant as to which franco/bilingual coach is available. Don't see Lefebvre being considered, at least I hope not. So next in line are Vigneault, Julien, Roy and Boucher if you want a little bit of experience. Roy will still be with Colorado, same with Julien and we don't know about Vigneault but will we want him?

If not, then you go full rookie like Benoit Groulx. Or full full rookie à la Jean-François Houle.

I'm obviously fine with replacing MT in due time...but again, much easier said than done.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Bergevin has one flaw as GM, he is too nice. Gainey had the stones to fire Carbo but I question if MB has the same fortitude

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I guess we'll add André Tourigny to the list of future possibilities.

LLoyd Christmas I

Jul 11, 2013
Bergie will clone both him and Therrien, and their clones will rule here until the NHL implodes.

tl;dr indefinitely

void

Jan 5, 2006
I never thought I'd start hating him so soon. Such an awful coach. His love affair with Desharnais and Bouillon is disturbing.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Not much to choose from when the first question asked is do you speak French`.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->