Speculation: There is something going on between Toronto - Carolina (MOD NOTE IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
I think you’re overestimating the value that a 26 year old AHLer and a #5 defenceman would carry, particularly on a team stacked on the blue line like the Hurricanes are.

They have Bean, Fleury, and McKeown in the AHL and Fox in college, on top of their NHLers. They need Holl and Zaitsev like you guys need PA Parenteau to make a comeback.

Maintaining organizational depth is critical though regardless who is a couple years away.

Feb 24, 2017
Okay.... 15 teams are not battling for Nyl let’s get that out of the way. 15 teams called in on Nyl obv since that’s the GMs job when a player that caliper is avallible. Why wouldn’t you. It wouldn’t be Pesce a lone but he is definitely not way more valuable then him....The longer this takes the more even I think the deal will be
44047584-0574-43C9-9FE6-FB0CFD127075.jpeg

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
CAR wants Nylander. TOR can’t afford to trade Kadri with Matthews out a month. I could see the potential interest in Kapanen, but CAR is set at wing and as has already been mentioned, they have quite a few “Kapanens” knocking at the door in the AHL.

CAR needs a Nylander caliber player in the worst way since no one on the team can score not named Aho, Ferland or Teravainen. The lack of secondary scoring and crappy goaltending (still) along with horrific special teams play are costing them points. They have 3 Top 4 quality RDs and only one of them fits in term and cap for TOR.

My guess is Dubas asked for something more than CAR was willing to give up along with Pesce for Nylander. The scouts are there to see perhaps what else can reconcile that ask on the CAR side. I’d wager to say that only Svechnikov, Necas and Fox (need him signed to mitigate potentially losing Hamilton or Faulk) are off limits. This year’s first (probably with protection) along with anyone in Clt are probably available. All this is completely my own speculation...and one last thing, I’d be completely blown away if CAR accepts any excess D back in any trade. They’re set there at least until Faulk’s deal is is up at the end of next season...they’re more than likely looking at additional bottom 6 guys I’d wager...

Reactions: SvechNecas

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Maintaining organizational depth is critical though regardless who is a couple years away.

If they traded a defenceman, they’d pretty easily call up any of Fleury/Bean/McKeown than saddle themselves with Zaitsev’s contract and Holl makes even less sense.

Carolina is a very, very deep organization.

Reactions: SvechNecas

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Kuokkanen is way too big of an add without anything else coming from Toronto.

Quite honestly, I rate Nylander very highly and Kuokkanen isn't even your top 5 prospect if you look at it.

I rate Zykov, Svech, Fox, Foegelle, Necas all higher. It's not that big of an add.

I think Carolina would have to add to Pesce to get Nylander, not the other way around. The only way its a straight up swap is if Slavin is coming back.

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
If they traded a defenceman, they’d pretty easily call up any of Fleury/Bean/McKeown than saddle themselves with Zaitsev’s contract and Holl makes even less sense.

Carolina is a very, very deep organization.

Your probably right but if this is a multi player deal I wouldn’t rule out everyone not named Nylander or Kadri. Who knows, we’ll see.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Quite honestly, I rate Nylander very highly and Kuokkanen isn't even your top 5 prospect if you look at it.

I rate Zykov, Svech, Fox, Foegelle, Necas all higher. It's not that big of an add.

I think Carolina would have to add to Pesce to get Nylander, not the other way around. The only way its a straight up swap is if Slavin is coming back.

Slavin, a top pairing dman on an amazing contract, straight up for a winger currently sitting at home?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Your probably right but if this is a multi player deal I wouldn’t rule out everyone not named Nylander or Kadri. Who knows, we’ll see.

Maybe. If they’re adding Nylander I could see them wanting to offload Victor Rask - who’s injured currently - in which case another body from the Leafs could be sensible.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

I don’t like the Kuokkanen addition as I think he’s set to be a very solid middle 6 contributor perhaps as early as sometime this season,but I’d do it. The past few games have show it’s painfully obvious that CAR needs more scoring.

I’d much rather add something like Roy + another pick but get why fans would want Kuokkanen.

Feb 24, 2017

Disclaimer- I am not saying Slavin is equal value to Matthews.

Nylander doesn’t get you Slavin 1 for 1. Neither does Marner. Tavares probably has a no trade deal. So that leaves who exactly that Carolina would accept from Toronto for Slavin?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
They need 3 scouts for a small add ?
Everyone assumes the deal is for a signed Nylander, so the value for him would be much higher. What if the positions between Dubas and Nylander are so intransigent that the deal is for an unsigned Nylander and the Canes have to deal with his crap? Then the add from the Leafs for Nylander's rights would be substantially higher to get Pesce.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
The hell with Pesce, we want Hamilton.

But that's just as unlikely as them getting Naz from us.

If there is something going on, hope it doesn't include Dermott.
Dubas and Shanahan aren’t dumb enough to sell low on a player.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
All this Slavin talk is nonsense. Slavin is a top pairing D signed for the next 7 yrs at a steal of a deal and he’s one of CAR’s most marketable, not to mention irreplaceable players. He’s also a LD, not the RD TOR lacks.

CAR has the currency of Faulk and Pesce to peddle for fwd help. I’d be floored if Slavin’s name has come up at all in Nylander discussions as a serious trade chip.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Everyone assumes the deal is for a signed Nylander, so the value for him would be much higher. What if the positions between Dubas and Nylander are so intransigent that the deal is for an unsigned Nylander and the Canes have to deal with his crap? Then the add from the Leafs for Nylander's rights would be substantially higher to get Pesce.

Don't agree. A deal only gets made if Canes have a deal in place with Nylander. It will be interesting to see what other pieces are involved from both sides.

DrakeBlake

Feb 18, 2015
I think a few of you guys could be right with the Kapanen package. Idk for what Dman from canes but I could see Leafs moving Kapanen+(players/picks) for a good D return... or if you’re talking about a big package involving Nylander, then the scouts are there for a reason. A.Johnson maybe part of it?

Reactions: Catch22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad