Speculation: There is something going on between Toronto - Carolina (MOD NOTE IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Carolina would be making a bad decision on trading Pesce for Nylander, unless they're able to sign Faulk long term. If they can get Faulk to agree to a long term deal at like $6 million, the Canes should go for it.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That’s dumber than the ask of Slavin for Nylander. You get 1 top 4 RD, not 2, plus picks/prospects on either side to even out.

Why would a team trade always 2 of what’s considered one of the hardest positions to fill in one trade? Robbing Peter to pay Paul here...

The + could be a dman coming back. Also I hear Canes have a number of dmen on the cusp.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Doubt the canes are trading Hamilton considering they just got him, and there is no chance they are moving Slavin one for one. I'd say Pesce would likely be the piece going back assuming Nylander agrees to an extension, with one of the teams adding a little bit (not sure who).

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Is there even a single rumour from a credible source or just people on here who think its a fit?
Their AGM is scouting them tonight

This comes after Dubas scouted Carolina last week

These teams don't play for another three weeks.

Doubt it involves Nylander as obviously he isn't even in the country.

Was there any further updates or speculation other than this curious.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Hasn't Faulk been rumoured to be on the trade block ?
Yes. And one of the teams that asked over the summer was Toronto. But Faulk and Pesce, two of our three top RHD, is way too much for Nylander, an unsigned winger. I think Pesce is too much for him. If Pesce is moved for Nylander, I think the team adding will be the Leafs.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes. And one of the teams that asked over the summer was Toronto. But Faulk and Pesce, two of our three top RHD, is way too much for Nylander, an unsigned winger. I think Pesce is too much for him. If Pesce is moved for Nylander, I think the team adding will be the Leafs.

Possibly but many find it hard to give up a skilled forward for a "defensive" dman. If it happens, if Canes add it will tell us how much the Canes want Nylander. If Leafs add then you are right.

Reactions: MinJaBen

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Hasn't Faulk been rumoured to be on the trade block ?

Sure, because the team has Hamilton and Pesce so they can afford to deal Faulk and vice versa. Dealing Pesce and Faulk puts TVR in the top 4...no good. Faulk or Pesce are potentially available because the team would still have 2 Top 4 RDs after 1 of them is dealt. Another benefit of dealing 1 of them is that it opens up a spot for Fleury to play with TVR on the 3rd pair while Hamilton and the leftover of Pesce/Faulk round out the top 4.

Fox is a potential top 4 guy, but he’s not signed and Mckeown is probably nothing more than a steady 3rd pair guy, nothing wrong with that. Luke Martin is a Pesce type
Player still playing in the NCAAs. They have decent depth at RD but it’s lacking in immediate impact guys that could step in and fill the void dealing both Faulk and Pesce in the same deal would create.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I think you’re overestimating the value that a 26 year old AHLer and a #5 defenceman would carry, particularly on a team stacked on the blue line like the Hurricanes are.

They have Bean, Fleury, and McKeown in the AHL and Fox in college, on top of their NHLers. They need Holl and Zaitsev like you guys need PA Parenteau to make a comeback.

Obviously for Holl -- the return would be more like a late draft pick, whereas with Zaitsev, that would allow the Canes to keep their ridiculously deep D; and possibly worth losing a forward that can help supplement Toronto's group -- where they are admittedly struggling to get tertiary scoring right now.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Dubas would be dumb as hell to trade Nylander for Pesce and even dumber if he traded him for Faulk.

Slavin or gtfo
Nylander should carry more value than Pesce, but I wouldn't consider it dumb as hell to do that trade, D are more valuable than wingers in general and Pesce is at a pretty decent value point contract wise, where as Nylander is going to cost quite a bit more to sign, I'd characterize it as a bad trade that could be fixed with Carolina sweetening it up. Faulk shouldn't be able to fetch Nylander as the central piece on Carolina's side and Nylander as the central piece shouldn't be remotely close to make Canes consider giving up Slavin.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Again, consider Carolina’s needs. What on earth would they do with Gardiner, Hainsey, Brown or Leivo?

Kadri? Absolutely. There’s a piece with value to them.

I just think too many people get stuck on the perfect 1 for 1 trade.

Perhaps TOR are looking for a D and toughness from CAR. Perhaps a power forward our a penalty killer?

I hope Dubas is doing his due diligence and seeing beyond the cap, Nylander, and players who meet TOR's needs.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Obviously for Holl -- the return would be more like a late draft pick, whereas with Zaitsev, that would allow the Canes to keep their ridiculously deep D; and possibly worth losing a forward that can help supplement Toronto's group -- where they are admittedly struggling to get tertiary scoring right now.

We can keep our “deep” defense corps even with a Pesce trade. Faulk moves up a pairing, TVR slides to his natural side and Fleury enters the lineup. There’s zero need for a guy like Zaitsev.

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018
Wondering who the leafs are willing to move to make room for what Nylander is asking.

Can't see the Canes scouting games when he's not around unless its the plus on top of Nylander.

Reactions: MinJaBen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad