OT: The World Cup Brazil 2014! June 12 - July 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

I still don't see it but I don't care enough to argue about it.

Marquez put his foot on the ground. Robben jumped over it. Not even sure there was contact. I've watched it 10 times now.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
There was contact, but Robben made that look really good. Terrible call none the less, he couldn't have done anything in that position. Terrible way to end a game.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Robben is simply amazing . I don't know how he kept up that pace for the whole game in that heat. One of the best performances of the tourney and he didn't even score.

LolClarkson*

Winner winner! That was a penalty but he did dive. Although I woulda dove like I got shot if it were me. Im so happy we won!

I will admit it. I thought we were done. I still just can't believe we got past them.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
There was contact, but Robben made that look really good. Terrible call none the less, he couldn't have done anything in that position. Terrible way to end a game.

Just because he couldn't have done anything in that position (which he could have) doesn't negate the fact it was a foul in the penalty area.

LolClarkson*

He is respected around the world for his skill but is known as a diver. It's Robben skill, flare and dramatics.

Messi is pretty much the only star football player that refuses to dive, ever.

Other then him, they all dive

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
He had his foot stepped on minimally. I think you could count it as a foul but Robben still dove in a major way. The obstruction was so minimal that he could've kept running and wouldn't have even been off-balance. He saw that he kicked the ball too far ahead of himself and took the dive.

But really, Marquez should've just been smarter and not gone into a challenge against Robben. There was no need for it.

All in all: meh. Netherlands probably deserved that call anyway.

Last edited:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He stuck his leg out and didn't touch the ball. I don't see much of an argument here at all. He embellished but that's FIFAs problem. Embellishment doesn't negate the penalty. There is no reason to have your leg out like that in the box in penalty time.

Horrible way for Mexico to lose, they were unlucky to draw this side with so many easy match ups in this round of 16 . IMO FIFA needs to be less rigid with their brackets.

Mexico played well all tournament and deserved a better fate. Ah, "bloody football".

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
He definitely embellished, but it was still a foul; there was no effort at all to play the ball. Blame the officials, Mexico was all over Arjen all game. If they awarded the PK on the far more blatant fouls at the end of the first half maybe they wouldn't have had to call the clearly embellished foul in injury time.

bo2shink*

@arsmaster

Costa Rica v. Greece is why soccer isn't big here. Most of the rest of the world is used to taking a 2 hour nap in the day.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Man Ruiz has been great for Costa Rica. I don't know if they can go further but they've impressed.

One takeaway from this tournament: some of the goaltending has been unreal. The quality of saves have been excellent this tournament IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad