OT: The World Cup Brazil 2014! June 12 - July 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
USA coming close. Making for a tense end of the game. Dempsey should have had a goal on that penalty outside the box.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Good game.
I wanted to see the Americans pull through...
To be honest.
Oh well.
Belgium was the better team.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
USA leaves the tournament with their heads high.

Belgium vs Argentina will be close, the best team Belgium has faced thus far.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
they've yet to play a world power.

True...
But look at the age of the players.
There are so many sub-25 years old players on the squad...
That it is not hard to imagine that they will continue to get better and better...
And subsequently...
Raise the overall level of the national team.

Hazard is only 23...
And he is already one of the better players in the world.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
True...
But look at the age of the players.
There are so many sub-25 years old players on the squad...
That it is not hard to imagine that they will continue to get better and better...
And subsequently...
Raise the overall level of the national team.

Hazard is only 23...
And he is already one of the better players in the world.
Yes, I agree, now their first opportunity to prove they are a top team is coming next week, should be exciting.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
just finished watching belgium v usa on replay, and damn if that wasn't one of the most exciting soccer games i've watched in recent memory

absolutely outstanding effort from the americans, especially after going down 2-0, and good job by belgium as well for not parking the bus and defending after going up

tim howard pretty much made himself into an american folk hero with that performance

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
I don't know what game everyone else watched if they think the Americans played well. The difference in scoring chances had to have been the most lopsided in this World Cup.

If these teams played 10 times, the best possible result for the Americans would be what we saw yesterday (a great goal from an unexpected source, but how many goals should Belgium have scored). Everything went the American's way, including the officiating (Klinsmann was clever in complaining about the Algerian ref before the game, because he bent over backwards to please the Americans on the field). It pays to be a powerful nation.

What the rankings never show is that teams like the USA are closer to Canada than they are to Belgium. They have to play perfect defense and hope to get lucky because they don't have the world class scoring talent. You have about a dozen legitimate Cup contending nations (including Belgium at present) and then about 80 nations who can all beat each other on a given day.

A very entertaining game. The David and Goliath formula almost worked.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I have absolutely no idea how people can take the US/Belgium game over the course of the entire 120 minutes and say it was exciting.

The last 20-30? Absolutely.

The first 90 were appalling; absolutely one of the most boring of the tourney.

The US, besides Howard, were complete ****. The only thing they had going for them was Bradley running essentially for the whole team.

Glad the US lost because Belgium deserved to win and I can't stand the States in general especially when it comes to sports.

Quarters are going to be an absolute fantastic 4 games.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
What the rankings never show is that teams like the USA are closer to Canada than they are to Belgium. They have to play perfect defense and hope to get lucky because they don't have the world class scoring talent. You have about a dozen legitimate Cup contending nations (including Belgium at present) and then about 80 nations who can all beat each other on a given day.

Glad the US lost because Belgium deserved to win and I can't stand the States in general especially when it comes to sports.

man, biased much? fair enough if subjectively you didn't find the entertainment value of the game very high, but you'd be in the vast minority if you didn't find the entire game entertaining, not just the extra time

soccer is turned on little margins that can frame narratives...if dempsey touches the ball a bit better on that amazing free kick combo near the end of the game, he scores, usa can beat belgium on penalties, and then who knows what happens in the quarterfinals...nothing new to that

and usa = canada? usa wouldn't even be playing belgium in the round of 16 but for a last second defensive gaffe against portugal...would've won the group and been playing algeria with a much better chance of advancing

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I love the spectacle of the World Cup but all the ridiculous dives make it a sport I'll never really get invested into

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
Love the comments to the article and others I've seen from those who like to **** on the sport elsewhere. Really says something about them.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Love the comments to the article and others I've seen from those who like to **** on the sport elsewhere. Really says something about them.

It does suck. Soccer brought that opinion on itself though with all the diving and flopping. Thats not condoning what they say about this particular play, but I can certainly see where the opinion has come from.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Oh boohoo Neymar broke his vertebrae. What a diver. Hockey players would totally play through that... Actually wait, they wouldn't.

I actually wasn't referring to that. But the 30 other laughable dives makes it hard to watch.
I still do because it's the World Cup, but laughing out loud every game I've ever seen when it should be suspenseful isn't raising my passion level for soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad