OT: The World Cup Brazil 2014! June 12 - July 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
It was still a weak call though.
Yes...
The Ivory Coast player hit the Greek player's leg...
Which caused the Greek player to trip over himself...
But that was incidental contact...
And not a foul...
So the trip ultimately should have been overlooked.

Regardless...
That was the ref's discretion...
And he decided to give the Greeks a penalty kick.
While I do not like the call...
I do not think he got it completely wrong either.

Last edited:

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
I dunno, to me it looked like Samaras kicked the ground causing him to fall. Sure the defender clipped him but I don't think that was what caused him to fall.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I dunno, to me it looked like Samaras kicked the ground causing him to fall. Sure the defender clipped him but I don't think that was what caused him to fall.

It makes zero difference what caused him to fall. If the opposing player held Samaras' leg and Samaras never fell down, that would still be a foul. The contact cost Samaras a point blank chance.

It was still a weak call though.
Yes...
The Ivory Coast player hit the Greek player's leg...
Which caused the Greek player to trip over himself...
But that was incidental contact...
And not a foul...
So the trip ultimately should have been overlooked.

Incidental contact means nothing. He prevented a legitimate scoring chance by being clumsy. You don't see this more often because most players have enough awareness not to randomly run into each other.

---

I don't understand why we're even discussing this. Just watch that video above. This foul couldn't possibly be any more clear.

And the FIFA rules on this are pretty clear: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf — it's a foul. This isn't hockey, you can't just "tie up a stick leg" to prevent someone from shooting.

Last edited:

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
It makes zero difference what caused him to fall. If the opposing player held Samaras' leg and Samaras never fell down, that would still be a foul. The contact cost Samaras a point blank chance.

Incidental contact means nothing. He prevented a legitimate scoring chance by being clumsy. You don't see this more often because most players have enough awareness not to randomly run into each other.

---

I don't understand why we're even discussing this. Just watch that video above. This foul couldn't possibly be any more clear.

And the FIFA rules on this are pretty clear: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf — it's a foul. This isn't hockey, you can't just "tie up a stick leg" to prevent someone from shooting.

Well yeah but the thing that prevented him a clear goal scoring opportunity was him falling and I believe that wasn't caused by the defender. But I digress.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Oh Greece won by penalty kick. What a surprise. Most boring team in the sport.

Part of football/soccer is defending. Defending as a team is a skill. They play to their strengths, and hell, it go them a Euro title.

Nothing wrong with that. But I wouldn't pay to watch them.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Part of football/soccer is defending. Defending as a team is a skill. They play to their strengths, and hell, it go them a Euro title.

Nothing wrong with that. But I wouldn't pay to watch them.

i never said it wasn't. I know it won them a Euro title because i had to sit their with my main soccer/football buddy who happens to have greek heritage. It was awful to watch and it continues to be awful to watch. The day Greece is eliminated from contention is a good day for any competition.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
just finished watching the italy v uruguay game on replay...what the hell is suarez' problem? does he not realize how many cameras are at the world cup? hasnt stopped him before but cmon, its the world cup

the guy either was trying to be really 'smart' by trying to draw chiellini into a rectionary red card behind the refs back, or more likely he just has the worst impulse control in soccer

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
d61nChj.jpg

He's just a fan of the Walking Dead.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Argentina hasn't looked like they were chasing a game yet, but it's concerning they've conceded 3 goals against some iffy competition so far. Given they make it to the quarter finals, they'll probably run into Germany or Belgium and they will need to really improve their defensive play until then.

Aguero + Higuain aren't looking all that great either, it's all Messi.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Argentina hasn't looked like they were chasing a game yet, but it's concerning they've conceded 3 goals against some iffy competition so far. Given they make it to the quarter finals, they'll probably run into Germany or Belgium and they will need to really improve their defensive play until then.

Aguero + Higuain aren't looking all that great either, it's all Messi.

They'll have Ecuador or Switzerland, then Belgium or USA. That's as easy of a route to the semi-finals as is possible I think. Netherlands has a similarly 'easy' route.

Meanwhile, France and Germany should be against each other in the quarter finals, and those teams look as good as anyone so far. Then there's Brazil having to make it through Chile then Columbia or Uruguay.

I doubt everything goes as expected, but in terms of draw for the group of 16, Argentina is laughing.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
They'll have Ecuador or Switzerland, then Belgium or USA. That's as easy of a route to the semi-finals as is possible I think. Netherlands has a similarly 'easy' route.

Meanwhile, France and Germany should be against each other in the quarter finals, and those teams look as good as anyone so far. Then there's Brazil having to make it through Chile then Columbia or Uruguay.

I doubt everything goes as expected, but in terms of draw for the group of 16, Argentina is laughing.

Mexico has looked good I don't know if this is an easy game for the Dutch. Its could be the type of game they have often flamed out of if Mexico can stay organized in the back.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
There's no easy games at this point - in a single game, pretty much any team that's made it this far could surprise. It's all relative, and Netherlands have a relatively easy path compared to Germany, France or Brazil.

Wouldn't it be something if there was an upset with Mexico over the Netherlands? That would leave only two European teams considered typical threats in contention, and both of them going through the same quarterfinal (likely into Brazil for the semis no less). That would certainly be an embarrassment for European football.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Argh, thought Argentina would have to meet Germany but apparently not. Belgium is still a threat, tho.

heutZe

Sep 15, 2010
Norway
Argh, thought Argentina would have to meet Germany but apparently not. Belgium is still a threat, tho.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Belgium beat Argentina in the QFs. Aside from Messi, no Argentinian have impressed me and their defense is not good. Belgium have been rock solid, despite not firing on all sylinders offensively. They are good enough to beat Argentina.

My guess for the final four: France, Netherlands, Brazil, Belgium. France defeats Netherlands in the final.

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
I'm going to put this out there:

Unless things change quickly, I'm not entirely sure Brazil will go far in this tournament.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I'm going to put this out there:

Unless things change quickly, I'm not entirely sure Brazil will go far in this tournament.

That's pretty apparent for anyone who's watched the 3 Brazil matches. Their defense is completely suspect and Neymar is the only attacker who has really shown up.

It's weird how both Argentina and Brazil are both being led by their superstar, but have suspect defense.

*Injektilo

Dec 19, 2005
Vancouver
That's pretty apparent for anyone who's watched the 3 Brazil matches. Their defense is completely suspect and Neymar is the only attacker who has really shown up.

It's weird how both Argentina and Brazil are both being led by their superstar, but have suspect defense.

It may be apparent, but it's still hard to believe. It's not so much their defense that is suspect, but their midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland