Confirmed with Link: The "We got Karlsson!" all-day, all-night, party all the time thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I mean, on one side I'm glad to hear Doug is such a shrewd business man, but it also makes me wonder if that comes back to haunt him. If I was a GM who got burned by Wilson, I'd be reluctant as hell to trade with him again. I kind of wonder if some of the bad trades we see from Doug are on purpose to get kind of a "look, I can make mistakes too!" image out there so people will continue to talk to him.

Also this article implies we were the only team interested in Karlsson. Which, I guess we kind of knew based on that return, but what in the actual ****? You would think every team in the NHL would freaking make space for Karlsson.

Dorion got BURNED by Wilson, worse than any other GM ever has (by Wilson), in the Mike Hoffman deal. And he turned around and traded him a top-5 player just a couple months later in a deal in which he was fleeced horribly.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Just curious. If Karlsson does want 12mx8, does that mean the end of Joe Pavelski as a Shark?

I just tried doing armchair GM calculations

Even if we ejected Dillon and Braun's combined 7 million for say, Simek at 650k and Heed at 1.5m

And Thornton signs a sweetie contract of 2.5 million. And Pavelski gets 8 million a year(Like Couture/Burns)

And we quickly lock up Meier to a 3 million bridge deal before he breaks out. And Labanc signs for 2.5 million, Along with Donskoi for 2.5. And we eject Melker Karlsson's 2 million and trade Dell for a more friendly backup contract. Fill the bottom of the roster with call up's on ELC's.

We still come in at around 85-87 million.

not to be debby Downer, I am just wondering what our plan is to fit Karlsson under the cap. hard choices are coming.

If Meier breaks out this year, he is going to get a decent contract. Labanc and Donskoi probably hover around the 2-3.5 million mark.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Just curious. If Karlsson does want 12mx8, does that mean the end of Joe Pavelski as a Shark?

Even if we ejected Dillon and Braun's combined 7 million for say, Simek at 650k and Heed at 1.5m

And Thornton signs a sweetie contract of 2.5 million. And Pavelski gets 8 million a year(Like Couture/Burns)

And we quickly lock up Meier to a 3 million bridge deal before he breaks out. And Labanc signs for 2.5 million, Along with Donskoi for 2.5. And we eject Melker Karlsson's 2 million and trade Dell for a more friendly backup contract. Fill the bottom of the roster with call up's on ELC's.

not to be debby Downer, I am just wondering what our plan is to fit Karlsson under the cap. hard choices are coming.

If Meier breaks out this year, he is going to get a decent contract. Labanc and Donskoi probably hover around the 2-3.5 million mark.

All the more reason for the Sharks to go all in for the cup this year!

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

It's not a really hard choice honestly, it's bye bye Pavelski. I love Pav's, but he's slowing down hard, and its already starting to hurt his game and that's only going to get worse (see Cheechoo). Also, decent chance if we win a cup Thornton retires I think.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
It's not a really hard choice honestly, it's bye bye Pavelski. I love Pav's, but he's slowing down hard, and its already starting to hurt his game and that's only going to get worse (see Cheechoo). Also, decent chance if we win a cup Thornton retires I think.
I find that choice hard.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

Cheechoo had multiple abdomen surgeries. It's not even in the same ballpark.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Damn Karlsson suits the Sharks jersey. Honestly as well as anyone. Hopefully he can finish his career in SJ!

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Cheechoo had multiple abdomen surgeries. It's not even in the same ballpark.

Different reasons, but he seems to be, at least relative to the speed of the league, slowing down similar to Cheechoo. The guy is easily the slowest guy on the team, by a fair amount. If he doesn't find a way to get his skating improved (at his age, unlikely) I think he's going to continue to struggle as the team around him gets faster.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I don't think Thornton is retiring if he wins the cup. I think Joe's going to play 'til he's 45+. He seems like a Jagr to me (unless his knees don't hold up). It's going to be wild to see Joe at 43, racking up 60 point seasons...

I also think Joe would take a massive paycut, like a million for the season, to try and keep the team together. It'll still be very, very hard, though. I know it's crazy, but I wonder if trading Vlasic for a top 5 pick or high-end prospect gets us closer. I love Pickles, but a lesser defenseman can play with Karlsson with, I imagine, similar results...

Though, I guess we'll see this season...!

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I don't think Thornton is retiring if he wins the cup. I think Joe's going to play 'til he's 45+. He seems like a Jagr to me (unless his knees don't hold up). It's going to be wild to see Joe at 43, racking up 60 point seasons...

I also think Joe would take a massive paycut, like a million for the season, to try and keep the team together. It'll still be very, very hard, though. I know it's crazy, but I wonder if trading Vlasic for a top 5 pick or high-end prospect gets us closer. I love Pickles, but a lesser defenseman can play with Karlsson with, I imagine, similar results...

Though, I guess we'll see this season...!
Ok, that is abominably unacceptable to me

Vlasic should wear teal for life. And quite frankly, so should Pavelski. These are two of the best most loyal homegrown players we have ever had.

If we were to trade a guy for Salary purposes, the guy I have small emotional investment in is Evander Kane. But that would be incredibly dickish of us since he loves it here and his player tribune on why he loves it and was ecstatic to resign was touching.

Reactions: Sharksrule04

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Vlasic should wear teal for life. And quite frankly, so should Pavelski. These are two of the best most loyal homegrown players we have ever had.

If we were to trade a guy for Salary purposes, the guy I have small emotional investment in is Evander Kane. But that would be incredibly dickish of us since he loves it here and his player tribune on why he loves it and was ecstatic to resign was touching.

All these guys have 3-team NTCs.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Plus he's young still, trading our young players isn't the best idea. Maybe Pav's will re-sign for cheap, if so, great, if not... Eh, I've learned that emotional attachment is not the best way to evaluate a team. This is a team trying to win championships, not run a rad daycare.

Last edited:

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston

We all said the same about Patty. That's the business!

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Hey, I'd hate to lose Pavs or Vlasic too. I'd love them to win the cup with us and frankly retire as Sharks...

Honestly, Kane isn't a bad idea. We'll see how he does next year -- obviously, if he lives up to the contract, that'll be more painful. If not, we have a cheaper Kane in Meier and I think we could find a good replacement.

I can also see Pavs taking a Thornton-esque, 1-year paycut to keep this current team together.

As an aside, I really love our team. The personalities on it are so delightfully bizarre and they just seem to really care about the team and each other. I really want the cup for these guys.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I’m wondering if it’s possible that they do the contract similar to the Tavares one.
Jumbo will stay and take a highly reduced contract.
Maybe Pavelski is willing to sign on a smaller contract.
I’m sure that DW is quite aware of the situation and will make the moves to keep this together.
I’m sure that we’re looking for more than just one.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

This narrative that Pavelski is “slowing down hard” is flawed. If talking about his skating: he has always been below average in skating speed. If we’re talking about his overall play: he has back to back seasons of +65pts, which is right where he has been for the prime years of his career, outside of 3 and 5 years ago when he approached 80pts. Of course, Father Time comes for all athletes - and certainly a case could be made for moving on from Pavelski due to cap constraints - but it’s not gonna be because he’s not a valuable player.

Reactions: Led Zappa

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Melker, Dillon, Braun and Dell should all be traded. That frees up more than enough room to keep Karlsson, Pavelski, Donskoi and the RFAs.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This narrative that Pavelski is “slowing down hard” is flawed. If talking about his skating: he has always been below average in skating speed. If we’re talking about his overall play: he has back to back seasons of +65pts, which is right where he has been for the prime years of his career, outside of 3 and 5 years ago when he approached 80pts. Of course, Father Time comes for all athletes - and certainly a case could be made for moving on from Pavelski due to cap constraints - but it’s not gonna be because he’s not a valuable player.

Pavelski is slowing down. He’s still a very useful player; I called him our team MVP last year. But he is definitely slowing down.

If we had 2013-2014 Pavelski I would say we should offer him $10M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille