Confirmed with Link: The "We got Karlsson!" all-day, all-night, party all the time thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Specifically with Slo I was joking (because of course I was), but in general it's pretty frowned on to publicly discuss the content or implementation of your ignore list, especially within earshot of the posters it might be relevant to. Specifically in the rules it used to says not to publicly say "ignored" when you decide to put someone on your list or to openly state something like "doesn't everyone have <insert poster> on their ignore list? I do and it's so much better."

Even without the specific mention anymore, I would imagine that it mostly falls under the category of flaming since those types of comments tend to be shots fired right across the bow of whoever they reference. So while I can't say "the rules say don't do it." anymore, I can still say "it's probably better all around if you don't do it."

At the very least I'll say that doing it just means more work for me. and I don't like work. It takes away from valuable trade tree time. :laugh:

Gotcha. I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Reactions: Sandisfan

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Plus he would have a great golf buddy in Pavelski, who is one of the best golfers in the NHL. I'd love to see Karlsson join Pavs at the annual Tahoe celebrity tournament.

I've seen Karlsson play golf and.... let's just say he's better at hockey.

Funny you mentioned Pavelski, I recently watched an interview with Nick Backstrom who called Pavelski the best golfer in the NHL. Backstrom himself is also up there.

Reactions: Solmors

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I am still baffled about the re-signing rule. I was looking at the current CBA document and saw this in 2 different sections:

50.4 League-wide Player Compensation, Players' Share, Escrow Account.

(f) Contract Extensions.

(i) An "extension" of an SPC, as such term is used in this Agreement, shall mean a new SPC entered into between a Club and a Player, which SPC is to be effective immediately upon the expiration of the Club and Player's existing SPC. To the extent a Club and Player enter into a valid contract extension during the final year of the Player's SPC, the contract extension will be fully enforceable pursuant to its terms even in the event the Player is injured prior to the commencement date of the contract extension. 279 ARTICLE 50 50.5-50.5

(ii) A Club that wishes to sign a Player to an "extension" of an existing SPC may do so only in the final year of such SPC.

(iii) A Club shall only be permitted to sign a Player to an "extension" of the existing SPC in the amount of: (A) the SPC of the Player to be extended (then included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary); plus (B) the Club's Payroll Room in the current year; plus (C) the aggregate Averaged Amounts of any other SPC or SPCs that expire at the end of such League Year (to extent the Club has other such SPCs which are currently counting in the Club's Averaged Club Salary); minus any previously Tagged Payroll Room. The Tagging Rule referred to in paragraph (e)(iv)(C) above will thereafter apply

50.8 Prohibited SPC Terms and Practices.

(b)(iv)

An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however, that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years provided such Player was on such Club's Reserve List and/or Restricted Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

Now, I am no lawyer but reading this I would think that the 'as of and since' applies only in case of players that have been traded for AT the TDL while on their last year. Since EK65 is already on our team, it is obviously implied that he is an active player (before the upcoming 2018-19 TDL) and should be allowed to extend for 8 years.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Reads to me that as long as they sign EK after this season's trade deadline but before UFA status, they can sign him for 8 years. Otherwise, only 7.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
I've seen Karlsson play golf and.... let's just say he's better at hockey.

Funny you mentioned Pavelski, I recently watched an interview with Nick Backstrom who called Pavelski the best golfer in the NHL. Backstrom himself is also up there.

I'd believe that. Pavelski's handicap is a 0.3, which is at the low end of professional level. I'm sure if he had focused on golf instead of hockey he could have played pro golf if he wanted.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'd believe that. Pavelski's handicap is a 0.3, which is at the low end of professional level. I'm sure if he had focused on golf instead of hockey he could have played pro golf if he wanted.

Huge difference between a 0.3 and a touring pro. Not saying he wouldn't have a chance if that's all he focused on but but it's a big gap to bridge to get from 0.3 to touring pro

Reactions: LA Shark

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Huge difference between a 0.3 and a touring pro. Not saying he wouldn't have a chance if that's all he focused on but but it's a big gap to bridge to get from 0.3 to touring pro

True, most current pro golfers had a handicap of around +4 before turning pro. For for someone who plays pretty much only in the offseason (I can't imagine there is much time for it during the season) a +0.3 handicap is pretty amazing. Shaving off another 3-4 from that would be hard, but doable if you don't have to waste 9 months a year playing hockey :sarcasm:

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
True, most current pro golfers had a handicap of around +4 before turning pro. For for someone who plays pretty much only in the offseason (I can't imagine there is much time for it during the season) a +0.3 handicap is pretty amazing. Shaving off another 3-4 from that would be hard, but doable if you don't have to waste 9 months a year playing hockey :sarcasm:

I would assume once Pavs retires and has more time to play he will make a run at trying his hand at some US Open and US Am / Mid Am qualifiers.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof

The quotes in here are fantastic.

Woah! Shhhhh! The secret sauce! The dentist getting you in his chair; it all makes sense! No wonder the SJSEE spends so much on nitrous oxide! (I’ve gone through their financials since the start of Doug’s tenure - a 70,000% increase in NO2 requisitions) It’s so obvious now. Doug gets them in, opens the taps, fries the other GM’s brain before robbing them blind. Scholarly medical journals have clearly proven that strong tans immunize you from the pharmacological effects of laughing gas; I need not cite the papers. It all makes sense! It’s the ONLY WAY TO EXPLAIN THIS TRADE!

Genius!

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

I mean, on one side I'm glad to hear Doug is such a shrewd business man, but it also makes me wonder if that comes back to haunt him. If I was a GM who got burned by Wilson, I'd be reluctant as hell to trade with him again. I kind of wonder if some of the bad trades we see from Doug are on purpose to get kind of a "look, I can make mistakes too!" image out there so people will continue to talk to him.

Also this article implies we were the only team interested in Karlsson. Which, I guess we kind of knew based on that return, but what in the actual f***? You would think every team in the NHL would freaking make space for Karlsson.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I mean, on one side I'm glad to hear Doug is such a shrewd business man, but it also makes me wonder if that comes back to haunt him. If I was a GM who got burned by Wilson, I'd be reluctant as hell to trade with him again. I kind of wonder if some of the bad trades we see from Doug are on purpose to get kind of a "look, I can make mistakes too!" image out there so people will continue to talk to him.

Also this article implies we were the only team interested in Karlsson. Which, I guess we kind of knew based on that return, but what in the actual ****? You would think every team in the NHL would freaking make space for Karlsson.

More likely is that Karlsson narrowed the number of teams he’d consider a trade to to the point that the Sharks were the only (or one of only a few) feasible trading partners.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA

Also this article implies we were the only team interested in Karlsson. Which, I guess we kind of knew based on that return, but what in the actual ****? You would think every team in the NHL would freaking make space for Karlsson.
IDK know how much it haunts him, he pulled off 3 fleecings in one year. But I agree it's possible that it's possible that is why DW overpays for depth player trades

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
IDK know how much it haunts him, he pulled off 3 fleecings in one year. But I agree it's possible that it's possible that is why DW overpays for depth player trades
The third being the Hoffman shuffle?

It boggles my mind we now have EK and EK where 6 months ago half this board was saying blow it the **** up!
Soooo excited for this season , I was starting to watch Lightning games more than Sharks games last season just because they are so freaking fun to watch.....but now we will likely be in that very upper echelon of talented AND exciting as hell to watch.
I'm almost more interested to see where Jumbo fits in with this new makeup than anyone else, running a 3rd scoring line and 1st PP makes a lot of sense imo.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA

It boggles my mind we now have EK and EK where 6 months ago half this board was saying blow it the **** up!
Soooo excited for this season , I was starting to watch Lightning games more than Sharks games last season just because they are so freaking fun to watch.....but now we will likely be in that very upper echelon of talented AND exciting as hell to watch.
I'm almost more interested to see where Jumbo fits in with this new makeup than anyone else, running a 3rd scoring line and 1st PP makes a lot of sense imo.
Yup the Hoffman shuffle

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

On the other hand, this was me :laugh:

giphy.gif

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Doug Wilson lives up to his Shark reputation that's for sure.

I almost expect to see a phone video going viral of him walking out of Dorion's office holding a new pair of shoes and with a pencil sharpener he saw on the desk tucked under his arm as Dorion walks out in socks to see him off

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
We know from EK9 acquisition that the Sharks' offer was the best on the table.

DW was willing to take a risk and no other GM was willing to risk as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad