Confirmed with Link: The "We got Karlsson!" all-day, all-night, party all the time thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Melker, Dillon, Braun and Dell should all be traded. That frees up more than enough room to keep Karlsson, Pavelski, Donskoi and the RFAs.

They'd need to find suitable replacements for Dillon and Braun and I don't see it in the system right now. With what the team has right now, I'm pretty sure only one of Pavelski or Donskoi will be staying if Karlsson re-signs.

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
I could live with a Pavs departure if we resign Karlsson. Huge questions as to who will step up into that slot though to fill the role of that front of the net presence good for 25-30 goals. I don't see Pavs signing for less than 5-6mil unless he takes a big step back this year

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
They'd need to find suitable replacements for Dillon and Braun and I don't see it in the system right now. With what the team has right now, I'm pretty sure only one of Pavelski or Donskoi will be staying if Karlsson re-signs.

Still think a higher priority is trading one of those bottom pairing dmen and Braun should have more value. We just can't spend over $7M in AAV combined for a 3rd pairing.
For Pavs, I think around max $4-4.5M AAV. Donskoi? Hard to say - really depends on how our youth do. He's a valuable tweener forward but could command around $3M AAV and we could get better value elsewhere.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Could you make it on capfriendly or another site? I'm curious who you'd be replacing them with to fit it all in.

It's start. Leaves enough to sign a decent 4th line and add a 13th fwd and 7th dman.
If not enough, trade Melker and Dell for cheaper replacements.
Biggest variance will be how much Labanc, Meier, Ryan and Suomela (in that order) are re-signed for.
Trading Melker and Dell allows us to go more for those and/or Pavs. I could see Jumbo going cheaper or even retiring if we win the Cup.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.21.06 PM.jpg

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I like both Braun and Dillon, but when you have Vlasic, Karlsson and Burns, I think you could easily have a third pairing that's composed of rookies or just cheap, 3rd pairing guys. It's more important, in my mind, to keep our best forward players.

But honestly, Kane is the most replaceable, high-end player. I like him, but he IS replaceable, and without his cap hit, we're doing fine.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I think it’s worth noting that moving out a high ticket player such as Pavelski or Kane is probably not going to help sell Karlsson on signing long term. I’d guess that as part of signing he’d want to see DW’s plan to keep the team competitive.

Also I’d not be surprised to see Thornton take a basement contract to facilitate it all working out, and Pavelski trading a reduced cap hit for an extra year or two.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Full article below.

Thank you for posting this.
As I read through, I get the idea that Karlsson simply wants to play and the other stuff is up to the management. He states that he’ll look at free agency, if it gets to that point.
I think the Sharks management has told him that they’ll make him the highest paid defenseman at 8 years.
Then he plays hockey, happily.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
“The way that they think an organization like this should be run is extremely well planned out and prepared,” said Karlsson. “I think that the fact that they’ve been able to do so many extensions here in the past (with other acquired players) really speaks volumes about what a great place it is to live and to play for.”

That sounds very good for us.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
'The way that they think an organization like this should be run is extremely well planned out and prepared,' said Karlsson. 'I think that the fact that they’ve been able to do so many extensions here in the past (with other acquired players) really speaks volumes about what a great place it is to live and to play for.'
It’s hard not to hear that and treat it as a jab at Melnyk, who in Karlsson’s final two years in Ottawa pushed out Daniel Alfredsson, threatened to move the team, and then sold off all their best assets in a hastily planned rebuild.
In San Jose, the concern isn’t over the payroll. The Sharks want to win a championship. And they’re prepared to spend whatever it takes. That’s why they acquired Karlsson. All he has to do is go out and play.
It’s a refreshing concept.
'You don’t have to do too much,' said Karlsson. 'You just have to follow the stream and learn. I’ve been here two days. But from the two days that I’ve been here, everything has been over the top. I’m extremely excited to see that through moving forward.'

This made me positively giddy.

I mean, on one side I'm glad to hear Doug is such a shrewd business man, but it also makes me wonder if that comes back to haunt him. If I was a GM who got burned by Wilson, I'd be reluctant as hell to trade with him again. I kind of wonder if some of the bad trades we see from Doug are on purpose to get kind of a "look, I can make mistakes too!" image out there so people will continue to talk to him.

Like many of us, at various times DW thought this team was *just* on the cusp, so he was willing to pay an inflated price for those rentals. After all, the market is generally inflated during those times, and the post-Gund pre-Plattner Sharks weren't exactly spendthrift.

Moreover, I think that DW is very aware of the logistics of roster management. There are only so many spots throughout the organization; he can't just stockpile prospects and expect them to develop into quality assets. And the picks he has traded away (late firsts and beyond picks) almost never turn into star players and only rarely end up anything better than 2nd line/pairing players. Look at the logjam in the AHL, where players like Gregor and Blichfeld are likely being forced into an overage year because there is just no space. DW, understandably, feels confident that he can draft those middling type players with enough frequency in the later rounds that it is ok if he trades a couple 2nd and 3rd-rounders.

Hear me now, quote me later, but some of the Sharks's defensive prospects are going to be jettisoned from the team for below their perceived value. Too many prospects, not enough space.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Still think a higher priority is trading one of those bottom pairing dmen and Braun should have more value. We just can't spend over $7M in AAV combined for a 3rd pairing.
For Pavs, I think around max $4-4.5M AAV. Donskoi? Hard to say - really depends on how our youth do. He's a valuable tweener forward but could command around $3M AAV and we could get better value elsewhere.

I'd be open to trading one of those bottom pairing d-men if we have a solid option to replace them. I would love if that was Tim Heed because of what his strengths are but the team acts in a different manner. I'd honestly rather pay 7 mil on the 3rd pairing than not and have another Dillon-Polak or Dillon-DeMelo type of situation because that gets exploited a lot more in the playoffs than being shallow up front. I also have more faith in Meier, Labanc, and Donskoi on the right side replacing Pavelski than any of Simek or Heed or anyone in our system replacing Dillon or Braun in the short term.

I don't think the max for Pavs is that low either. Couture got 8 mil with less points than Pavelski. I just don't see Pavelski taking a pay cut and I don't know if I want to pay 6-7 mil for another two or three years of Pavelski at 35. Donskoi is in a wait and see but if he produces like he has, he's probably around 3.5-4 million on the open market. There's an argument to be made that the Sharks could get better value internally over both Pavelski and Donskoi with where Meier and Labanc are. I can see those two playing the right side of the top two lines. I think you only keep Pavelski if Thornton retires or takes a bonus-laden contract or Karlsson walks.

I like both Braun and Dillon, but when you have Vlasic, Karlsson and Burns, I think you could easily have a third pairing that's composed of rookies or just cheap, 3rd pairing guys. It's more important, in my mind, to keep our best forward players.

But honestly, Kane is the most replaceable, high-end player. I like him, but he IS replaceable, and without his cap hit, we're doing fine.

Only if those cheap options are going to give them tremendous value. They can't be DeMelo or Mueller type of players that are ineffective on the ice. Just because you have Karlsson, Burns, and Vlasic doesn't mean the other guys can't cost you. I'm good with it if Roy or Merkley and Simek or whoever is ready to replace those two but I don't think they are yet and you're not going to find two bargain d-men for the bottom pairing in one off-season. I think it's easier for this team to replace the forwards coming up, even Pavelski, than it is to replace Dillon and Braun right now. I have more confidence in someone like Chekhovich coming up to replace someone for the 2019-20 season than I do anyone on defense being ready by then.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Between Middleton, Roy, Heed, DeSimone, Simek, Ferraro, and possibly Merkley, I feel confident we can ice a passible third pairing behind Vlasic/Karlsson/Ryan/Burns next season if Dillon and Braun are gone.

Hell, I'm pretty confident with Vlasic/Burns/Karlsson we could ice 4 d-men most games and be fine. Seriously, 3rd pairing plays a total of like 10 minutes with those guys on the ice.

Put two guys who are currently breathing out there lol.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Has there been any talk about when he might take the Ice for the first time in a game? Is tomorrow night the night we see Karlsson and maybe some of the other stars like Pavelski, Thornton and Burns. If it is, I really wish NBCSCA would actually find a way to carry the game.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hell, I'm pretty confident with Vlasic/Burns/Karlsson we could ice 4 d-men most games and be fine. Seriously, 3rd pairing plays a total of like 10 minutes with those guys on the ice.

Put two guys who are currently breathing out there lol.

Sure if you want them dead on their feet by playoff time but I want these guys at their best come playoff time not worn out.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Ordered my Karlsson jersey from icejerseys today. Can't wait for it to get here.

I want to order as well but I know if I order he will walk in FA with my luck. I also want to wait to see if they bring back the Heritage jerseys (pls Hasso). That would be an instant purchase for me.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I want to order as well but I know if I order he will walk in FA with my luck. I also want to wait to see if they bring back the Heritage jerseys (pls Hasso). That would be an instant purchase for me.

yeah I might even get myself a 3rd jersey if they come out with one this year as well. Would probably get a Kane or a Couture one. I already have 4 Thornton jerseys and a Burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->