Podcast (Audio) The Wally and Methot Show

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
It was definitely front loaded but there’s so many other guests I’d love to see. Phillips, Redden, Heatley, Fisher, Maclean, Dorion, Tim Murray just off the top of my head, not to mention a bunch of current Sens who haven’t been on, and even perspectives we don’t get to hear often like maybe an equipment guy or team doctor. Just get anyone with ties to the org and talk to them about their time with Ottawa, that’s personally what I want to hear. I wish they had spent more time with Cameron talking about Ottawa rather than his time in Europe and whatever else.

Heatley...oh man, I'd love to hear what the real reason for his trade request was, even if it turns out to actually be that he was unhappy with reduced powerplay minutes.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good conversation on Mete and Brannstrom (the little fella). I agree with them on this... Both are young.. Brannstrom may have a bit more growth left in his game.

I agree with Mendes & Methot, that Mete will surpass Brannstrom because IMO he's better defensively & the better skater. I also agree that when Sanderson arrives he will probably start on the 3rd pairing & at some point in the next yr be on the 2nd pairing. I think by the end of that season Kleven could be in that 3rd pairing too & the left side should be set at LD with Chabot, Sanderson & Kleven over the next yr or 2.

The RD could take a little more time to figure out until a RD pushes Zaitsev out of the top 4, hopefully JBD does. I would also like to see the right side be similar to the left side with a good skater & point producer on the 1st pair, a two way solid player on the 2nd pair & a PK D who can play in different situations & play a needed role on the 3rd pair. This could take 2 to 3 yrs to figure out the right side though & IMO this draft could go a long way in doing just that.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I agree with Mendes & Methot, that Mete will surpass Brannstrom because IMO he's better defensively & the better skater. I also agree that when Sanderson arrives he will probably start on the 3rd pairing & at some point in the next yr be on the 2nd pairing. I think by the end of that season Kleven could be in that 3rd pairing too & the left side should be set at LD with Chabot, Sanderson & Kleven over the next yr or 2.

The RD could take a little more time to figure out until a RD pushes Zaitsev out of the top 4, hopefully JBD does. I would also like to see the right side be similar to the left side with a good skater & point producer on the 1st pair, a two way solid player on the 2nd pair & a PK D who can play in different situations & play a needed role on the 3rd pair. This could take 2 to 3 yrs to figure out the right side though & IMO this draft could go a long way in doing just that.
So hard to say how our right side will shape up. Zub is solid but only on a two year, then we have JBD who looks promising and Lassi who hasnt been progressing super well. Might even see Brannstrom move to the right finally when Sanderson gets here. Would love if we could get a solid RD with our first this year. Zaitsev is a solid option too but not in his current role.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So hard to say how our right side will shape up. Zub is solid but only on a two year, then we have JBD who looks promising and Lassi who hasnt been progressing super well. Might even see Brannstrom move to the right finally when Sanderson gets here. Would love if we could get a solid RD with our first this year. Zaitsev is a solid option too but not in his current role.

I doubt we see Brannstrom as a right side D any time soon. A game when the circumstances demand it thru loss of a RD or in shifts when we are down a D .. but not as a planned starter. I do not get why people keep beating this drum. He is undersized .. crossing over to RD forcing him to make plays under pressure with his backhand which is already a weak spot just makes no sense.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I was hoping we would be able to draft Brandt Clarke RD, but that seems out of the question unless the lottery somehow improves our position significantly. The other guy I would like to see us target at RD is Corson Ceulemans although I'm not really sure where he will end up in this draft which seems all over the place. I think with the other RD this team has Ceulemans has the potential along with JBD to fight for that top pairing to play with Chabot & the loser to play with Sanderson as a consolation prize in future.

I would not be against Ottawa using both their 2nd rd picks to move up to take Ceulemans either since I think taking him at 10OA could be too soon. Mason McTavish with their 1st OA pick & moving up to take Ceulemans could turn into a great draft for them this yr & upgrade two positions.

2021 NHL Draft #23: Corson Ceulemans Scouting Report (lastwordonsports.com)

Chabot - Ceulemans
Sanderson - JBD
Kleven - Zub

Reactions: Smeddy

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I doubt we see Brannstrom as a right side D any time soon. A game when the circumstances demand it thru loss of a RD or in shifts when we are down a D .. but not as a planned starter. I do not get why people keep beating this drum. He is undersized .. crossing over to RD forcing him to make plays under pressure with his backhand which is already a weak spot just makes no sense.
I don’t think playing off-side is that big of a deal, especially if you’re comfortable with it, but I get why many are against the idea. I just personally still see Brannstrom as a solid top-4 in the future and there won’t be much point having him stuck on the third pair with Chabot and Sanderson playing 25 a game.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I still listen to the show, but the guest list was pretty front loaded in terms of star power. At this point it's down to like the team lawyer, the third string goalie from 2002, and Todd Bertuzzi.

I don't get it. There's still so many big names and personalities that people would love to hear from.

Marian Hossa
Zdeno Chara
Dany Heatley
Martin havlat
Wade redden
Chris Phillips
Patrick lalime
Brian mcgrattan
Alexei Yashin
Mike Hoffman
Jacques Martin
Paul McLean
Andre Roy
Etc

I mean, the list goes on. I stopped but names were still popping up

Reactions: Smeddy

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I still listen to the show, but the guest list was pretty front loaded in terms of star power. At this point it's down to like the team lawyer, the third string goalie from 2002, and Todd Bertuzzi.

Stars aren't necessarily more interesting on the radio.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I don't get it. There's still so many big names and personalities that people would love to hear from.

Marian Hossa
Zdeno Chara
Dany Heatley
Martin havlat
Wade redden
Chris Phillips
Patrick lalime
Brian mcgrattan
Alexei Yashin
Mike Hoffman
Jacques Martin
Paul McLean
Andre Roy
Etc

I don't doubt a good amount 0f players on that list will be on the show, however if they go through that list too fast they will have a issues fort next season filling the show with quality guests.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Marian Hossa
Zdeno Chara
Dany Heatley
Martin havlat
Wade redden
Chris Phillips
Patrick lalime
Brian mcgrattan
Alexei Yashin
Mike Hoffman
Jacques Martin
Paul McLean
Andre Roy
Etc

Hasek?

otown

Sep 4, 2009

Marian Hossa
Zdeno Chara
Dany Heatley
Martin havlat
Wade redden
Chris Phillips
Patrick lalime
Brian mcgrattan
Alexei Yashin
Mike Hoffman
Jacques Martin
Paul McLean
Andre Roy
Etc

Any of the former Sens executives or high level managers!

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don't doubt a good amount 0f players on that list will be on the show, however if they go through that list too fast they will have a issues fort next season filling the show with quality guests.

Some people have other things in life to do.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Marian Hossa
Zdeno Chara
Dany Heatley
Martin havlat
Wade redden
Chris Phillips
Patrick lalime
Brian mcgrattan
Alexei Yashin
Mike Hoffman
Jacques Martin
Paul McLean
Andre Roy
Etc

At 2 guests per week, that's barely enough names to get them through July. I'm sure they've thought about this and have some sort of plan in place but I suspect there will be a change in format at some point - whether than means they interview guests with no connection to the Sens or reduce the frequency of the shows or have episodes with no guests, etc.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Nothing wrong with bringing back guests either. Id watch a weekly podcast with those guys and Ian Mendes.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Is Methot just running this to setup a longer term TV opportunity. He’s jumped on the World Championship television broadcast now and will have 3+ media experiences to bulk up his position going forward.

Next step feels close to NHL TV broadcasts.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Is Methot just running this to setup a longer term TV opportunity. He’s jumped on the World Championship television broadcast now and will have 3+ media experiences to bulk up his position going forward.

he has been pretty honest about trying to break into the media side. Still think he can run the pod on a weekly schedule if he gets too busy.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
he has been pretty honest about trying to break into the media side. Still think he can run the pod on a weekly schedule if he gets too busy.

Ya - I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. If he can do TV as well as he does radio he will have a job soon.

My main point was that I don’t think he needs to worry about too many episodes ...

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

I don’t think he’d do well on tv. Maybe radio though.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I still really want them to try and get Dorion or Mann, maybe after the draft.

I'd love more in-depth info about what it's like at the draft table. How trade talks materialize. How they assess value of trade offers (Burke talked about this when he worked with SNet, but I'd like Dorion's take), maybe some info on how they put together their own draft list/rankings. How much effort goes into scouting. How many meetings. Whatever. I'm; not looking for insider info, and I don't think that should be expected, but I think it would be fascinating to hear.

I feel like the Sens excel at the draft, and it's a massive source of pride for the team and the fans, so the opportunity to let the fans into the process a little bit would be huge.

Reactions: PlayOn and Smeddy

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Nick Paul is very well spoken in that interview, you would think he is a 10 year, 30+ year old NHL veteran. Solid guy, knows his role, yet continues to improve his trade to be better. Him and Sokolov are alike in their attitude and perseverance to succeed. Part of the new Sens' DNA and built for long playoff haul. Like Pageau before him, I think he has sneaky offensive potential in the bottom 6. He is confident that he can play as a centre in the NHL too. I think that role is currently occupied by Colin White. Paul is also looking to get Sens jersey #21 next year.

Random PS: I think the Sens that ended the season this year could have shit kicked both the Leafs or the Habs in the playoffs had they met. That was such a pathetic series, can't wait to see our boys in the playoffs in a year or two.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Nick Paul is very well spoken in that interview, you would think he is a 10 year, 30+ year old NHL veteran. Solid guy, knows his role, yet continues to improve his trade to be better. Him and Sokolov are alike in their attitude and perseverance to succeed. Part of the new Sens' DNA and built for long playoff haul. Like Pageau before him, I think he has sneaky offensive potential in the bottom 6. He is confident that he can play as a centre in the NHL too. I think that role is currently occupied by Colin White. Paul is also looking to get Sens jersey #21 next year.

Random PS: I think the Sens that ended the season this year could have shit kicked both the Leafs or the Habs in the playoffs had they met. That was such a pathetic series, can't wait to see our boys in the playoffs in a year or two.

I can hear it now...

Nick Paul, Nick Paul, Nick Paul.... Niiiick Pauuuullll.... Niiiick Pauuuullll...!

Reactions: armani

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2