TV: The Walking Dead | S8 | PART IV | (NO COMIC DISCUSSION/SPOILERS)

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
This episode was alright. Not too good and not too bad. The new guy, Luke bothers me. He went out on patrol without any kind of weapon or the ability to use one. He has almost died every time he comes across walkers. Nobody would live that long in that world that helpless.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Can Carl #2 die already? How can someone born into that world be so "Unicorns and Rainbows"? Also you just put on a mask and walk slow and now you won't be attacked by the dead? If only they knew that long ago.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Big surprise someone does their own thing... puts people in danger... where have I see that before. It's almost every episode. I know it would be boring otherwise but the younger people need a reality check to what world they are living in.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I haven't watched any of the episodes in this half of the season yet.

I dunno, the motivation isn't there for me anymore, which is weird because I did actually like the first half (given what Kang had to work with) and the couple episodes after Rick seemed fairly good.

I'll watch them eventually, but holy moly, this show went from my must watch show every week to not even my spare time filler.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
I decided to re-watch TWD from Season 1 to see how it compared and the biggest difference for me is the emotion.

Current TWD comes across as very emotionless, characters come and go far too frequently and when/if they die it's never really that emotional or that important. The current world is too good and too happy, back at the beginning they were struggling to survive and it was exciting.. everything they did could have been life or death. Now its a case of they have everything they need, the walkers don't pose a big threat and the only thing that'll disrupt the groups and their communities is other groups.

The beginning of TWD was exciting but also very sad. Current TWD is sometimes exciting but almost never sad. The Season 1 scenes with Morgan looking down the scope of the rifle at his wife-turned-zombie and how clearly distressed he is, such an emotional scene, and then the pure elation of having a shower in hot water at the Police station, Rick going back to the walker without legs in the park and apologising before shooting it in the head. Andrea and Amy when Amy turns. Rick at the CDC before they are allowed in, screaming for the door to be opened. Sophia running away and the group hunting for her, before Carl has the moment with the deer and gets shot in the stomach.

Those were just a handful of scenes out of many which I found pretty exciting and emotional and at times quite fearful, they created the world in the early days as one with almost no other people but thousands of walkers around and safeness being prioritised more than anything, every decision they make has a huge impact. When Shane found the truck full of water bottles, how much it meant to them.. nowadays it's like they have their own plumbing system with clean, fresh water. Progress is understandable for sure but it's the lack of everything and the desperation in the earlier seasons which made it exciting for me. When losses actually mattered.

I love the show and I'll continue to watch but there's too many people, too many established groups in a close proximity to each other for things to feel survivaly. I hope something big happens soon which leaves around 20 or so characters alive and follows them moving on to another area.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Latest episode was a bit different to what we're used to. Quite sad in some aspects. Michone finding Rick's Python was definitely a sad moment, I love the references back to Rick and other characters, I really wish they'd have more scenes which referred back to old characters.

I'm still watching the show from the start, currently on Season 3 and there's times where it's a bit tedious but I'm definitely finding it pretty exciting still and it got me thinking how few characters there are still in the show that were in it from Season 1. Darryl, Carol and Maggie.. I find that quite sad and the more I watch the older Seasons the more I crave there to be another Glenn or Hershel type character, those two bought a lot to the show and they've never been replaced as far as I'm concerned.

Not too many episodes left of this Season so I'm assuming things will start getting tastier but I hope it's not rushed.

Reactions: The Night King

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Still check it out once in a while.

Took me around five or six minutes to watch it.

Double fast forward is your friend. You really don't miss anything. Hit play a few times for a few seconds if a scene looks kind of interesting.

Hot crap now IMO.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Got to say that like someone above...this show which was my number 1 must watch of the week, (like swapping providers due to lack of AMC levels...) to now just kind of not caring all that much, which is sad in a way given I have been reading the comics since 2004 and watching this show for what? 9 years?!!!

And I mustn't be the only one feeling like this for a once favourite show...no comments since Friday?! No one even on here talking about their self advertised Red Wedding...which it wasn't on the same level at all! But liked the episode and now that the loss of a the few major characters is out of the way they can start really moving on. Can't wait for the introduction of the new male lead that hopefully you all see coming.

Last edited:

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Some SPOILERS.
Would people/audience come back I wonder if they took a small group of leftovers, say 5-8 people and zombie nuked everything else...burn it all down without being able to come back. Kill all the communities, make the entire area unlivable and kill everyone but a select few...put them back on the road to find new adventures outside the source material. Completely move away from the comics and develop all new leads and start over in a new area. Leave a note for Rick or survivors on where they are going, cue a fast fwd again time lapse and have Rick after two or three years come back and see the weathered note or sign....cue his movies searching for the leftovers, and have a completely fresh start next season for season 10-13. If people are unhappy with the whole medieval communities then I am not sure how they will feel about the future.
I have missed the last few seasons of FTWD so I am not sure how things have gone with those characters but maybe incorporate a chance crossing while the characters move to Seattle or somewhere that has a different environment, Atlanta is getting old I find.
If they did this, what 6 people would you want them to run with as the new originals until they establish themselves again.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Just seen the latest episode here in the UK.. after struggling to avoid spoilers from the TWD twitter account for the last 24 hours..

I'm shaken. Genuinely quite shaken.

There's been a lot of brutal things over the past 9 Seasons but tonight is up there with the demise of Glenn and Abraham as the most bone chilling.

I found the first half of the episode quite boring and was hoping for some action after seeing the teasers from last week and whilst it wasn't what I expected I really cannot complain about this episode. I posted a week or so ago saying how the show lacked emotion and genuine fear.. I got what I was hoping for. The way the final few scenes were depicted was brilliant, made me feel shock, fear, and made me say 'Jesus F...ing Christ' out loud.

I'm slightly disappointed it's taken this long into the season.. near the end, for things to become interesting properly but I guess that's the walking dead way, get the viewers excited before leaving a cliffhanger for 7 months.

The preview for next weeks episode looks interesting too, very dark and pretty intense.. and snow! Looking forward to it.

Reactions: The Night King

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
^^ Have to agree. Just finished watching... and while my interest in TWD has dipped a lot this season, this episode left me shook. I don't read the comics or really watch any episode previews. I didn't particularly like these characters but seeing their demise, and the way they did it... Goddamn.

Also, I'm pretty sure that was snow in that last shot. Apparently Virginia is finally getting winter.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This season in particular has been incredibly dull, but the last four episodes have been very entertaining. They built the tension last night so perfectly, and the payoff finally came on time

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
All the drama of the last episode aside, I'm glad they got rid of arguably the 2 most annoying characters of the show

And I appreciated the fakeout with the most important character that died in the comics (but not in the show)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad