The Vincent Lecavalier Dream Thread - Part I: Compliance Buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
If you're the Canadiens brass, you cannot let the opportunity to get Vinny slip through your fingers unless someone offers him something ridiculous. I was not a fan of trying to get him given his previous salary, but if we can get him now with a more reasonable number, I'm more than excited and I will likely be buying a jersey. I've always been a huge fan. Please, Bergevin, make it happen!

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
He can still be a solid force in the right situation...****ing...book it.

But is this the right situation?

I think he is still a good player. But there is going to be interest from other teams. He is still a big name, even though he has declined, and he is a vet with a cup ring. These guys get more money than their production. And like most people, he will want a steady job, which means he will want 4 or 5 years. He might be getting over 5 million for the next 4 years. Let's say he has a good year, then starts declining more. Then you have yet another player who is not worth his contract for 3 more years. We have had a lot of that in recent years.

But if you could get him for 2 years for 4 something, that would be great. That gives you some extra depth at C, while Gally, who is still pretty green, develops. But someone will offer him more.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Since the Habs are considering it, we must be at least seeing how he fits in. I don't think there's a negative here unless MB thinks that, by the time we can challenge, he'll be too old and so it would be pointless to sign him. That's the only reason I see us not fighting for him for a reasonable salary.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
Since the Habs are considering it, we must be at least seeing how he fits in. I don't think there's a negative here unless MB thinks that, by the time we can challenge, he'll be too old and so it would be pointless to sign him. That's the only reason I see us not fighting for him for a reasonable salary.

Are they?

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
I strongly believe that Desharnais is untradable.. so forget Lecavalier, its all on Bergevin IMO.. He made a huge mistake signing that midget long term and now we are stuck with him watching a guy like Lecavalier signing elsewhere when we could have had him if Bergy had been more patient.. Rookie mistake as a GM..

That post is full of fail, it's funny. Do you know how rare a 50 pts player is? No matter his height? DD is easily movable, but even if he isn't moved, there is plenty of room under the cap for both of them. They are $9M under the cap, so if Vinny was to sign for, let's say, $5.5M, the Habs would still have $3.5M to sign lesser player like White and Weber (if he is re-signed)

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
That post is full of fail, it's funny. Do you know how rare a 50 pts player is? No matter his height? DD is easily movable, but even if he isn't moved, there is plenty of room under the cap for both of them. They are $9M under the cap, so if Vinny was to sign for, let's say, $5.5M, the Habs would still have $3.5M to sign lesser player like White and Weber (if he is re-signed)

Put it this way if Douglas Murray garners two 2nds I sincerely believe DD can yield us at least an early 3rd.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Citation, please?

Anyone thinkin Habs will not reach out to Vinny are insane.....

Vinny =$in the Montreal market,it's not rocket building here..it's a very simple 3 piece jigsaw puzzle..

This isnt like turning away Jagr last season.....This is VL,and i hope we also get a shot at Richards.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
Seriously people need to stop overreacting on this board.

I really don't understand how giving VL a 4 year/22 million deal is going to "bite us in the ass" so to speak when he falls off a cliff in production wise a la Scott Gomez? His production dips at the end of the contract, it ****ing dips. Who cares? Iginla (with a year left on his contract) was tradeable to PIT during a cup run. Vinny wouldn't be the same, at a way less cap hit to boot?

Now, with that contract I stated above, our lineup come October, will be:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
Vinny Signing
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($5.500m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Ryan White ($0.750m) / Travis Moen ($1.850m)
Gabriel Dumont ($0.625m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Nathan Beaulieu ($1.275m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)
Alexei Emelin ($2.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,123,333; BONUSES: $3,047,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $1,224,167

Remember, we'll have approximately a bit more cap space because half of Beaulieu's contract will take up half of Emelin's contract, in which the difference of half Beaulieu's from half of Emelin's contract will be the extra cap space saved via LTIR.

But wow does that top 9 look fierce. I only worry about the bottom 3, but not by much. And I worry about our top 4 D until Emelin returns...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I once asked his cousin in ile-bizard a few years ago, what was the deal? why didnt he want to be a hab, and he told me hed LOVE to be a hab, but at the end of his career.

now he has no team at 33, ..i say take a stab, but thats it. and yes the DD signing has ruined everything.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
I once asked his cousin in ile-bizard a few years ago, what was the deal? why didnt he want to be a hab, and he told me hed LOVE to be a hab, but at the end of his career.

now he has no team at 33, ..i say take a stab, but thats it. and yes the DD signing has ruined everything.

No it did not. Our depth in the middle isn't crippled if he decides not to sign with us, at least.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
It has been reported NUMEROUS times by close friends of his in the past that Vincent would not come here because of the intense scrutiny. Why woud it change now?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

We got 9 million right now in open cap space....DD deal didnt ruin nothing...

VL WILL BE A HAB...
My predictions,are right 90% of the time...

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Assuming he comes in with Pleks still the 1st C.

His wingers:

LW: Bourque or Pacioretty?
RW: Gallagher or Gionta?

Prust-Eller-Galchenyuk 3rd line was fine.

Then u have a bunch of players for the 4th line:

Desharnais
Moen
White
Dumont

greyboy67

Feb 11, 2004
Anyone thinkin Habs will not reach out to Vinny are insane.....

Vinny =$in the Montreal market,it's not rocket building here..it's a very simple 3 piece jigsaw puzzle..

Ths isnt like turning away Jagr last season.....This is VL,and i hope we also get a shot at Richards.

So you're saying no source is necessary because it is so obvious that Montreal will pursue him?

Yeah, let's sign Vinnie, Brad Richards, and Danny Briere. The Stanley Cup is also a foregone conclusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad