The Vincent Lecavalier Dream Thread - Part I: Compliance Buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Yup. He actually said that neither side, from what he was hearing, would have much interest in the other.

http://http://www.985sports.ca/audioplayer.php?mp3=181556for those who understand French.

Looks like that's a wrap folks.

Another "local boy" well schooled by his agent on how not to be "Briered". :shakehead
No. listen again.
Martin McGuire said that he thought that the Habs were not interested.
Never said anything about what MB said nor Lecavalier.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
DUHHHH....is he supposed to come out and say "Nahhh I don't want to play in Montreal, I much prefer somewhere in the US?
Not at all.
Previously he said he wanted to stay in TB.

But there are multiple citations that he liked Montreal.
Not just now but from the past.
He also said previously that he wanted to play in Montreal at the end of his career.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The price of beach towels dropped 25% this week,were seeing the effect of the Vinny buy out ....
Sounds like they knew ahead of time...

This Week at Sears Save 25% on Beach Towels

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
No a report, just brad may who is not an insider said a former teammate said Vinny won't go to Canada...

I just saw that too well technically he is an insider if he spoke with a teamate of his Lol, but yeah said will not play in canada, then they said not in montreal? and brad said no chance. I thought Gord Stellick brought up a good point said he should go to montreal it's time for him to lose the beach wear and go somewhere there is pressure and get back to playing some good hockey

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I just saw that too well technically he is an insider if he spoke with a teamate of his Lol, but yeah said will not play in canada, then they said not in montreal? and brad said no chance. I thought Gord Stellick brought up a good point said he should go to montreal it's time for him to lose the beach wear and go somewhere there is pressure and get back to playing some good hockey

He is 33 years old, a little older, isn't seen as a franchise player, the pressure coming here now would still be there but not compared to if he happined 3-4 years ago.

Took a nap today, had a nightmare, Vinny signed with the Wings/Leafs and we had both DD and Briere in our top 6 next year.

:scared: :baghead:

Last edited:

HockeyF3ind

Jun 19, 2007
New York
The amount of money Lecavalier AND Bickell will command would be too much for our current cap. We'd have to get rid of a player. One would hope that player would be DD

It would be such a beautiful thing.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Bryan Bickell ($3.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.722m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,772,708; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,224,792

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
It would be such a beautiful thing.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Bryan Bickell ($3.500m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.722m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,772,708; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,224,792

what a beautiful lineup, maybe add a physical top 4 dmen and trade away Daiz.

Also it works long term, with Gionta and Markov coming off the books, its more to help re-sign Subban, Eller and Emelin.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
I only say no because I don't want us to go into a bidding war against other teams for him. I'm sure we won't be the only ones offering him a contract. I just don't want s to go out of our way to sign him. If he wants to sign here for a decent/good price, why not?

But if we're going to have to pay BIG money just because we're fighting heavily with other teams to acquire him, I'd rather pass, lock up our core players and find alternatives when they show up.

For sure, he's a good player and merits a good contract. But we need our current money. Obviously, we a lot of contracts are coming off the books this year and even more next year which could help. It boils down to how comfortable you are with letting some players go and what your evaluation of their performances are.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I just can't imagine Lecavalier being that expensive. We'll see, and nobody can say for sure though.

That being said, I KNOW Toronto is going to be on this one in full force. And I think at anything around 4-5M for 4 years or less, we CAN'T let this guy slip to a division rival for a matter of a few hundred K.

Of course, it's all speculation, but Bergevin can't snob this one and say Lecavalier can't make our current roster/clearly outplay our top-3 Cs. Not with his background. Not with his history in the playoffs. Not the way he ALWAYS plays against us. Not with the size of our C line.

Good point. Vinny had 19 points in 18 games during the 2011 playoffs. Dude just knows how to step up in his game when it matters.

More than anything else, he's now gonna be playing with a chip on his shoulder. With Tampa in the same conference next year, expect him to stick it to his former team whenever he gets the chance.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's not just luck man... Crosby getting hit in the face with a puck is luck.

Age, injury history, style of play... that has nothing to do with luck.

Which was exactly my point. He produced what he produced in NY which is what I said was most likely and what I'm saying about Lecavalier.

People who argue that the guy is going to go back to being a 70 point player are using wishful thinking instead of reasoning in their posts. Gomez was in decline and so is Lecavalier. He's not a 70 point guy anymore.

Gomez's decline that happened here was sudden no doubt. But Lecavalier is older than Gomez was and players do frequently drop off the map at this age. Would it really surprise you if Lecavalier was washed up in three or four years? It shouldn't.

Hockey is a young man's game and he's showing signs that he's declined already.

My problem with Lecavalier isn't his offence, compared to DD and what he can bring. It is his complete lack of interest in defence. DD has flaws in his own zone due to lack of size,but not lack of effort.

Vinny, on the other hand, had minus seasons when scoring 90 points. That is one HELLUVA high number of goals against with him on the ice!!!!!

DO...NOT...WANT.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
avatars changing... you guys really love setting yourselves up for disappointment don't you...

Firstly, he's tied with Simon Gagne as my favourite active player - so I want him on my favourite team. Yes it's selfish but whatever, you diddle dogs so don't judge.

Secondly, with a half-broken Robert Lang this team looked different. We're a tiny, somewhat pathetic team that dives and plays dirty when we can't speed by our opponents - Lecavalier is a big, strong centre who isn't a number 1 but is still better than our best centre overall. I want him.

Thirdly, all these naysayers are either overblowing his injury (but downplayed any injuries to our own players like Gorges, Gallagher, Gionta, Diaz or Markov) or have something against him from his signing of a giant extension in TBL.

My posts yesterday were a bit over the top, I was piss drunk and in the middle of the sea, but the point remains: He's a talented player, he's Canadian, he's Quebecois, he's from Montreal and he's big, strong, a proven winner and by Jove I'd love to sign him at a good deal.

He's 33, it's going to be his last contract... sign him with the understanding that he'll retire whenever he wants, declining salary or whatever.

If 38 year old Ray Whitney gets 10m/2yr, and Gonchar and Kovalev... Lecav is worth a whole lot more.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The more I think about it I'd rather have bickell to avoid too many centres. That being said I wouldn't be mad if VL signed here for 4ish million. Hell do well on a team that rolls lines like we do. I think hed thrive in a balance of icetime

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
He's 33, it's going to be his last contract... sign him with the understanding that he'll retire whenever he wants, declining salary or whatever.

I was playing around with this, but the new CBA makes it tricky in VL's salary range. No year can be worth over 35% less than the previous year, and the lowest cannot be worth over 50% less than the highest. The best I can come up with is something like: 6/4/3/3/3, cap hit 3.8. Not sure I'm so into that.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The more I think about it I'd rather have bickell to avoid too many centres. That being said I wouldn't be mad if VL signed here for 4ish million. Hell do well on a team that rolls lines like we do. I think hed thrive in a balance of icetime

There is no dichotomy between bickel and lecavalier.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There is no dichotomy between bickel and lecavalier.

If we get both of them, it would change the look of our franchise in a radical way.

Problem is, and I've been saying it for a long time, our defense is softer than a John Mayer ballad. If we can get a good minute eater out of a trade or signing + a couple of big talented players, Lecavalier/Bickell/etc, we'd be doing really well for ourselves.

A thought about Lecavalier: how are buy-outs structured? Is it a lump sum or in pieces? If it's in instalments he might not be willing to be taxed on his buyout at Quebec rates.

The next two weeks will be very exciting.

PricePkPatch*

People using "Washed up" and "Lecavalier" in the same sentence should really reconsider watching hockey.

He may not be his past dominant self, but that is a helluva distance from actually being "washed up". He's a strong player, and should remain so.

Also, if Vinny want to lower the pressure he'd receive in Montreal, then maybe he should sign at reasonable price so the expectation ain't that high in the first place? 4.5M is quite reasonable, and people will love him as a strong 1.5C position, alongside Pleky.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Surprised this is not already on thread 3 or 4. I think the Habs would be stupid not to look into bringing Vinny to Montreal but I would hope that it would be not for more than 3 years and for less $5M at the absolute most.

Guy still has some hockey left in him but he will struggle to ever be a point per game player again.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Already closing in on Part 2 guys... Personally, I'd go with the majority opinion here, but I doubt Lecavalier signs here.

I'll believe it when I see it. This will go down into the Gaborik/Hossa/Jagr folder of hopeful signings that did not happen.

PricePkPatch*

Already closing in on Part 2 guys... Personally, I'd go with the majority opinion here, but I doubt Lecavalier signs here.

I'll believe it when I see it. This will go down into the Gaborik/Hossa/Jagr folder of hopeful signings that did not happen.

It's pretty simple. We should try and pursue him; the team will be better with him on board than not. That's a fact.

Whether or not he actually wants to play here is up to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad