The Vincent Lecavalier Dream Thread - Part I: Compliance Buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
People using "Washed up" and "Lecavalier" in the same sentence should really reconsider watching hockey.

He may not be his past dominant self, but that is a helluva distance from actually being "washed up". He's a strong player, and should remain so.

Also, if Vinny want to lower the pressure he'd receive in Montreal, then maybe he should sign at reasonable price so the expectation ain't that high in the first place? 4.5M is quite reasonable, and people will love him as a strong 1.5C position, alongside Pleky.

Maybe not washed up, but...he's a guy I'd want more effort from if he came here. The injuries and length/amount of contract are other factors that scare me.

If a guy's lost the passion for hockey, playing in Montreal will make it a chore to come to the rink, not motivate him. Guys like Subban Gallagher and Prust feed off the enthusiasm of the fans.

Also, a 4.5-5 mil cap hit isn't bad for this year, but if he turns into a 3rd liner like Arnott in 2 years and he has a 4.5-5 mil cap hit then it becomes a "gomez" or a "Kaberle" type contract pretty quick. He's 33 and has missed 20% of games the last 3 years on a consistant basis...65/82 64/82 39/48 that's a definite trend.

I wouldn't be pissed if we got him, but I can see other players we can spend our money on also...I'll trust MB and co in this situation. Hopefully Molson isn't getting involved in this and lets his hockey people make the call based on what's right for the team long term.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Already closing in on Part 2 guys... Personally, I'd go with the majority opinion here, but I doubt Lecavalier signs here.

I'll believe it when I see it. This will go down into the Gaborik/Hossa/Jagr folder of hopeful signings that did not happen.

The more i hear about it the less i think this could happen... saying montreal is a possibility as much as all other teams 1. Shows me he wants to be payed well, already creating a war between gm's then... 2. He doesnt say anything extra to give any hope... 3. He say he will do whats best for his family (again money, and location? Usa? Beach? Florida?) I am already under the impression this will leave us a sour taste.

Im already expecting the expected.... :/

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It's pretty simple. We should try and pursue him; the team will be better with him on board than not. That's a fact.

Whether or not he actually wants to play here is up to him.

It's not black and white.

1-the NHL has a salary cap, so getting him affects your ability to get another/other players. Maybe there is a player or combination of players that helps the team more(Bickell plus Clutterbuck?)

2-it's not just about NOW, if you have to sign him for 4-5 years his contract may be an albatross by then, or affect MB's ability to retain younger players down the road

3-he has to want to play here, sounds like he is a guy that wants to play where there is less pressure...he's already won his cup and made millions...if you have to bring him here against his will then is it really worth it?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I hope he signs on day one so this circus doesn't get drawn out. I see him going to the Rangers, Blachawks (somehow), Bruins (somehow), Wings, etc.... He's not coming here and I wouldn't be too disappointed. Habs will not be a destination for many top end players until they start winning in the playoffs consistently. The fans and the media are a big minus.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
before vinny can come here another center has to leave first (prefer DD to leave). A 2 to3 year deal at around 4.5m should be the max

He's on record as wanting a long term deal, so I expect more like a 4-6 year deal.

I hope he signs on day one so this circus doesn't get drawn out. I see him going to the Rangers, Blachawks (somehow), Bruins (somehow), Wings, etc.... He's not coming here and I wouldn't be too disappointed. Habs will not be a destination for many top end players until they start winning in the playoffs consistently. The fans and the media are a big minus.

I won't lose sleep if he doesn't sign with us. For NYR Boston or Chicago it would be a questionable move given their cap situation.

PricePkPatch*

The good teams seem to make these moves and somehow get under the cap. Who knows, Pittsburgh may jump in. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

They just traded away one of their mainstay centre. I doubt they'll break the bank to get another one.

PricePkPatch*

Speak for yourself. I want him to be nicknamed Vincent LeBronCavalier by the time this is finished.

It's gonna be hilarious

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Everyone is going to be in shock when Vinny signs his next deal......it will be ridiculous cash again.

PricePkPatch*

Everyone is going to be in shock when Vinny signs his next deal......it will be ridiculous cash again.

I will be at peace of mind only if Vinny signs with us, or sign ridiculous money elsewhere.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Lecavalier looking for a simple 1 year deal is a possibility right? He can sign back with Tampa afterwards.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I have a feeling it will be around 6 years/5.25 Mil per, someone will end up paying along these lines

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The Hockey News ‏@TheHockeyNews 3m In his new column, THN's @Proteautype looks at 7 potential destinations for former Lightning star Vincent Lecavalier:

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
If we get both of them, it would change the look of our franchise in a radical way.

Problem is, and I've been saying it for a long time, our defense is softer than a John Mayer ballad. If we can get a good minute eater out of a trade or signing + a couple of big talented players, Lecavalier/Bickell/etc, we'd be doing really well for ourselves.

A thought about Lecavalier: how are buy-outs structured? Is it a lump sum or in pieces? If it's in instalments he might not be willing to be taxed on his buyout at Quebec rates.

The next two weeks will be very exciting.

Buyouts are structured so that the 2/3 of the salary remaining on the contract is paid out over double the amount of years remaining on the contract.

I.e., Vinny had signed an 11 year/85 million contract in 2009, that begin on the 2009-10 season. After this season, he had 7 years, 45 million left on his contract. Theoretically, he should be owed only 30 million over 14 years, but I'm hearing sources (Bob McKenzie) saying that he is owed actually and confirmed by capgeek 32.666667 million over 14 years.

I'm not exactly sure how they got the extra 2.666667 million, it may have something to do with the bonus he is owed over the next 3 years but I remember reading that TB had to pay that amount to Lecavalier straight up (8 million owed) and that the signing bonus wasn't including in his contract salary.

Can anyone help discover/confirm why he's owed 32.666667 million and not 30 million over 14 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad