The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
this. I never understood the love affair with Botch. yes its sad when ANYONE passes and I dont wish that on literally anyone but he overdosed on cocaine laced with fentynal. Lets call it what it is. He wasn't a drug addict, he was a recreational cocaine user and it caught up with him. He left behind a wife and kids taking a chance cuz he wanted to party. And they are building park benches for him.... I don't get it.

What about Stan Smyls wife...where is her bench? Brock Boesers dads bench? Taylor Pyatts fiances bench? Luc Bourdons bench?

I am kinda sick of hearing about a guy that made a choice and paid the ultimate price whereas the above mentioned dont get the talk when they had no choice.
Some people also say that it is selfish and irresponsible to buy motorcycles. Because you know, you could die. You have a higher risk of dying. Luc was an only child and his mom didn't want him to buy a bike.

It is all just a tragedy. Just because Botch didn't have the same views on drugs as Nancy Reagan doesn't mean it wasn't a tragedy.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Because Jennifer Smyl meant as much to the fan base as Jason Botchford. SMH.

SMH indeed. Jennifer Smyl was a local gal who is considered one of the founders of Canucks Foundation and AFAIK actively participated in Canucks charities for decades.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Nail on the head. No one should die from having something in their shit they didn't know would be in there. Those kids that died in New West in 2015 or 16, can't remember what year because fentanyl was laced in their shit breaks my heart and no one cares/don't care enough because it's drugs.

And they keep saying that we haven't lost the war on drugs... :help:

One has to wonder when something will change but that's probably a discussion for another thread

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Man, Taylor is so jaded nowadays...

I don’t know how Dhali & Ry work with a guy who rips them daily for odd little things. Often things he does on the show himself.
Then if they go back at him he gets grumpy & gives the quiet treatment.

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
Honestly in light of Botch’s personal struggles he shouldn’t have been name calling other people.
I was gonna let this go but then just couldn’t. This pretty low man.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Brookbank

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

I don’t know how Dhali & Ry work with a guy who rips them daily for odd little things. Often things he does on the show himself.
Prettys sure its all in gest. And i don't think the others have ever gone full Dave Pratt on him.

Where is Pratt ? Did he really make enough money in his career to retire ?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I think it is done mostly in jest. I don't like his takes though. He did once compliment me for scoring some goals at a PlayOn tournament, so I have that which is nice.

I remember the show on 1040 they had, where like 75% of the show was just him and Ry picking on Moj. :laugh:

Reactions: Vector

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

He’s just as sick as many about this franchise being a perennial joke.

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
For sure, I agree.

he was good at his job
he was a cocaine user
he was selfish (knowing the fentanyl lacing and ODs in the city at the time)

all those things can be true.

he doesn't deserve a park bench over the people I mentioned above. Stan Smyl has been in this organization for 40 f***ing years. I want to see a Jennifer Smyl bench.
Calling drug use 'selfish' is so out of touch I don't even know where to begin.

Sometimes it's recreational, sometimes it's for self-medication or trying to deal with trauma, etc.

Calling it selfish is puritanical, out of touch, smug, and dehumanizing.

For the record, I'm not a hard drug user, but in my field I have had many clients who are/used to be. It's a hell of a lot more complex than you think it is.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Sometimes it's recreational, sometimes it's for self-medication or trying to deal with trauma, etc.

For the record, I'm not a hard drug user, but in my field I have had many clients who are/used to be. It's a hell of a lot more complex than you think it is.

I think that comes from the fact that he had a wife and young kids AND he was not an addict. Society is weird. If someone dies from recreational use of drugs it's somehow better than if a drug addict dies from drug use. But then some of the same people who think that recreational use is better would also consider addiction is a disease. I really don't have much of an opinion either way as I'm still educating myself here.

But I agree with your general take. I think Botch's family really are the only ones that can judge him to be selfish.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Agreed. I haven't used drugs but I have my own experience with addiction, and someone close to me who had a coke problem. This shit isn't a problem with the substances being addictive (although they are) it's about mental health and what headspace they are/were in to start using in the first place. I masked a lot of my own issues instead of confronting them, I am a bit abstract if you will and lots of personal trauma growing up with that. It's not something you do because everything is going great. Maybe they don't understand that, but these people are beating themselves up enough without their critical lack of empathy. I don't know their story, I know mine and that's what I've found.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Drance at his best today using "statistics" to say why the results aren't real...it's actually a little comical.

At some point I wish a real statistician would educate these guys.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Because Jennifer Smyl meant as much to the fan base as Jason Botchford. SMH.

Who in the f*** gives a shit about a sarcastic drug addicted reporter ?

See I can do it too.

Smyl family means more to most fans than reporters , yes.

Hope that answers your question.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

See I can do it too.

Oh hey, now you have said he is addicted, you have to retract the previous statements about selfish he was.

You sir, have broken the pc rules.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

See I can do it too.

You can believe that, you'd be wrong, but you can definitely believe that.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Never heard of Jennifer Smyl in my life. Can’t imagine anyone under 40 has (maybe 50). Or maybe I don’t watch the telethon close enough?

Reactions: rypper

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
What is happening with the media recently.

I am getting tired of Dalhli constantly bringing up Vancouver scoring and how that makes the playoffs a possibility without the same time spent on how they are almost twice as bad in goals against as the top team.
The Canucks are 8th in the league in goals per game and the 2nd worst, 31rst in goals against in the entire league.

Is it sarcasm on his part? Or the only positive left to champion?

Combined with the recent censored and sanitized intermission segments it appears that the NHL and Rogers might be eliminating the reality of the team and any opinions contrary to hockey ops'. They were starting to get close to the root of the issues and criticizing Allvin and the Chipmunks.

They are censoring like a third world country.

Let's see if keeps on and how far it could go.

Last edited:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
What is happening with the media recently.

I am getting tired of Dalhli constantly bringing up Vancouver scoring and how that makes the playoffs a possibility without the same time spent on how they are almost twice as bad in goals against as the top team.
The Canucks are 8th in the league in goals per game and the 2nd worst, 31rst in goals against in the entire league.

Is it sarcasm on his part? Or the only positive left to champion?

Combined with the recent censored and sanitized intermission segments it appears that the NHL and Rogers might be eliminating relity of the team and any opinions contrary to hockey ops'. They were starting to get close to the root of the issues and criticizing Allvin and the Chipmunks.

They are censoring like a third world country.

Let's see if keeps on and how far it could go.

I don't think we have been good, and I doubt we make the playoffs, but I will say I think part of it is just this fluke year where as bad as we have been the chance still exists somehow. Any other year and I don't think we are close at this point.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I don't think we have been good, and I doubt we make the playoffs, but I will say I think part of it is just this fluke year where as bad as we have been the chance still exists somehow. Any other year and I don't think we are close at this point.
Ditto. Dhali keeps on about how many goals they have scored but that isn't sustainable as teams will tighten up starting next year.
He fails to mention they are also the 2nd worst at keeping the puck out of the net and that will make the difference in the end.

The goals scored are just a manifestation of the way the game is called early in the season so the "illusion of parity" can be maintained that and the shear number of rookie defencemen in the league right now.

Quite a interesting stat line on the Canucks only twice have they won in regulation if they don't score 5 goals and they have the three OT wins over teams in the 20's in the standings.

Currently 11 wins and 15 losses.

Canucks 101 goals against - Bruins - 53 goals against, almost like two different leagues or tiers of hockey

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad