The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Really? I think what he said is mostly fine, other than I disagree that the initial offer was reasonable.

He is completely disregarding the concept of building an actual roster and just stating the Miller contract, in a league-wide conversation, is not bad. Well, that's fine, but it's terrible for the Canucks in terms of building their roster.

He's also disingenuously saying that a bunch of people are pushing for them to sign Horvat at his current ask, which is complete bullshit. The issue is they missed the opportunity to sign Horvat in the summer at a materially reduced rate and then caved to sign Miller, completely under the assumption he can permanently play centre, to a contract that really doesn't fit the team at all given the make-up and contracts on the rest of the roster, especially given he is a winger.

Nobody is saying "trade Miller and sign Horvat to $9M AAV" ... that's just dumb. All-in-all he's just doing pro-management, anti-fan spin, and it's not particularly good spin.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Paraphrasing but Lalji on twitter pretty much saying Bo and Schenn are the only two good guys in the locker room and if (when) they're gone, the room will be mega toxic lol

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think there's anyone else in the market who in their twitter replies gets as much hate as Drance.

I like the guy and his work a lot, and he seems like the type to revel in the hate or laugh it off, but that has to start having an effect on your psyche after a while.

Thing is most of them wouldn't have the guts to say anything to his face.

Reactions: theguardianII

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Why is it that just about every major story involving the Vancouver Canucks gets broken by Rick Dhaliwal? Is he that 'connected' or are the rest of the media types in Vancouver just that much more apathetic or lazy?

• Wow

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think there's anyone else in the market who in their twitter replies gets as much hate as Drance.

I like the guy and his work a lot, and he seems like the type to revel in the hate or laugh it off, but that has to start having an effect on your psyche after a while.

Thing is most of them wouldn't have the guts to say anything to his face.

I don't understand why people follow him if they don't like him. I actually like Drance but I hear enough of him on the radio that I don't need his regurgitated opinion on Twitter.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't understand why people follow him if they don't like him. I actually like Drance but I hear enough of him on the radio that I don't need his regurgitated opinion on Twitter.
It's like people hate listen or hate read his articles.

"I hate this Drance guy so much I'm going to pay monthly to be an athletic member just to tell him in the comments how much I hate him!"

• Haha

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Why is it that just about every major story involving the Vancouver Canucks gets broken by Rick Dhaliwal? Is he that 'connected' or are the rest of the media types in Vancouver just that much more apathetic or lazy?
Sometimes you gotta do some favours that others might not want to do.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Drance goes 2 far sometimes, But he is usually spot on with his takes.

1 - Screamed for JT Miller Trade
2 - Screamed for Boeser trade last few years, or just not qualifying him
3 - Ripped OEL Trade early
4 - Has been saying for years this team is not, and will never be good enough, due to our defense
5 - Said the crazy run by canucks last year was worst case scenario for this year (Mentioned that before this offseason)
6 - Screaming for Cap Dumps ages ago, and use cap to weaponize situations, like Marino which he brought up early

Theres so much more.

He is not perfect, But hes one of the few vocal media guys who saw the real problems and picture way before other media guys.

Just my two cents

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

4 - Has been saying for years this team is not, and will never be good enough, due to our defense
5 - Said the crazy run by canucks last year was worst case scenario for this year (Mentioned that before this offseason)
6 - Screaming for Cap Dumps ages ago, and use cap to weaponize situations, like Marino which he brought up early

Theres so much more.

He is not perfect, But hes one of the few vocal media guys who saw the real problems and picture way before other media guys.

Just my two cents

I'm not so sure about #2. He has been insanely protective of Boeser in recent years and constantly talked about how good of a 2-way player he was/is.

The rest I agree, though most of it is pretty obvious.. but it's more than you can say for the rest of the media.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm not so sure about #2. He has been insanely protective of Boeser in recent years and constantly talked about how good of a 2-way player he was/is.

Never really got the Boeser is a good 2-way player talk. He was and is adequate at his best. I could name 8 forwards on the 2010/11 team who would steal his lunch money.

Reactions: m9

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

Theres so much more.

Just my two cents
Interesting to me is that all those are on the negative side on the equation. What is his record on the positive side? Last time I listened he said that Boeser is going to be fine…

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Interesting to me is that all those are on the negative side on the equation. What is his record on the positive side? Last time I listened he said that Boeser is going to be fine…
Boeser might be the only exception, Could be off on that one, But I heard the others for sure.
I would like to see all the things he was wrong about also, just for balance.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Maybe he wants to be tony gallagher :huh:; I don't understand. Why does he need to pick up the pom poms? The point is that his "negative" takes come true. I mean, can we list some of his "negative" takes that did not happen? if he is only right 50% of the time, it means he is wrong 50% of the time :sarcasm:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the point is that on a team like ours, being right on the negatives is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Pretty much. None of those things Drance has been right on aren't any different than what most "negative" people around here have said.

Not that I think that's a bad thing - it's nice having the equivalent of a knowledgeable poster on the radio. And just like most knowledgeable posters here, he isn't going to be right all the time. Boeser was a whiff and he also liked the Dickinson acquisition. Probably more stuff, too.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Never really got the Boeser is a good 2-way player talk. He was and is adequate at his best. I could name 8 forwards on the 2010/11 team who would steal his lunch money.
I think it was more in the context of the teams he was playing on. He likely was the top 1 or 2 winger for two-way play on this team. That doesn't mean he would be top 2 on a team that is actually good and has a chance to make some playoff noise.

Where Drance often goes too far is the ripping of deals like the Bear one which he ripped hard. That it's not going to fix the team so it's basically a waste of time. Not every deal is high impact fix. Some are simply ones of reasonable value that can help in some way. You do those deals no matter what build phase a team is in or what strategy they are using to build.

But that's his role. He took the over the top boisterous role when Botchford passed.

Reactions: racerjoe

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
This is a ridiculous way of thinking about things, imagining that any situations where something is criticized must also be also worthy of praise or else you're being biased. This is actually not useful in terms of informing people! If something is bad and dumb, I want smart people to inform me of why that is the case or why that is not really the case.

"What's his record on being positive about this team that has overwhelmingly failed over the last decade" is just so shockingly baby-brained I cannot imagine it

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Drance has turned into a little bit of an act. His takes seem to always be negative, I think intentionally. And he says everything with such conviction...say it loudly enough and you must be right. It could be that he's right most of the time because this team seems to make really bad decisions most of the time. :laugh:

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I have never really listened to the media market around this team and now just listen to a podcast a week, but has Drance become the heel that sportsnet has been looking for years?

in the clips I watch he just seems so grumpy and negative, even more so then the past. The change of tone seem to line up with the move to sportnet. Like there is very little to be positive about with this team, but he sounds like he could use a change of market or even sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad