The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Chris Faber had a hit on Halford and Brough this morning. Probably THE most positive guy around and even he sounded beat down by this team. Worth a listen.
brough nearly made me cream my trousers today

hour one of halford and brough was f***ing awesome

Reactions: m9

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Remember Lee Powell ? He is on Twitter , gracing us with his erudite offerings. https://twitter.com/leepowellST

"Buffalo rebuild was being drooled over here not long ago....well they've slipped back to 7-9...just a point up on the Canucks. That's ok, we'll just ignore that and move on to fall in love with another one. That's how it works. If it doesn't fit, then you just omit.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
As I’ve been digging around and listening to some stuff, it really hits home that Rick Dhaliwal is not a deep thinker.

Hearing things he says I always remind myself he gets all his info from Agents and a lot of the time it could be slanted that way.

For instance, and I am not saying this is what happened but the Myers didn't "reject" a trade to the sens. Well this could be true, and false. They could be on his 10 team list and he didn't have to reject the trade. That way to people it doesn't sound like myers was the bad guy.

Again not saying this is what happened just you always need to think this way with Ricks info.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Hearing things he says I always remind myself he gets all his info from Agents and a lot of the time it could be slanted that way.

For instance, and I am not saying this is what happened but the Myers didn't "reject" a trade to the sens. Well this could be true, and false. They could be on his 10 team list and he didn't have to reject the trade. That way to people it doesn't sound like myers was the bad guy.

Again not saying this is what happened just you always need to think this way with Ricks info.

It’s not that part it’s when he presents his own opinion or completely blindly regurgitates something he’s heard from the Canucks. Drance was on their show today and there were two different instances where Dhaliwal said something and I thought he was just plain dumb.

1) Burroughs was brought up and he shouted that Stillman’s in the lineup because he was acquired by management. This only makes sense if you ignore all the other lineup decisions that are contrary to what management has asked for. Dhaliwal also doesn’t think much of Burroughs.

2) He confidently said the Canucks wouldn’t be making any trades until beginning of February. Over two months from now. He stated this to Drance as a solid fact and Drance was a little taken aback. It made no sense.

Just a little bit of critical thinking on both of these would push back on both of these. He just regurgitates and anything resembling his own thoughts are simplistic. Somehow Don Taylor is the deeper thinker of the two and that just shouldn’t happen.

Last edited:

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
It’s not that part it’s when he presents his own opinion or completely blindly regurgitates something he’s heard from the Canucks. Drance was on their show today and there were two different instances where Dhaliwal said something and I thought he was just plain dumb.

1) Burroughs was brought up and he shouted that Stillman’s in the lineup because he was acquired by management. This only makes sense if you ignore all the other lineup decisions that are contrary to what management has asked for. Dhaliwal also doesn’t think much of Burroughs.

2) He confidently said the Canucks wouldn’t be making any trades until beginning of February. Over two months from now. He stated this to Drance as a solid fact and Drance was a little taken aback. It made no sense.

Just a little bit of critical thinking on both of these would push back on both of these. He just regurgitates and anything resembling his own thoughts are simplistic. Somehow Don Taylor is the deeper thinker of the two and that just shouldn’t happen.
yeah but something something crown and cokes something vegas on air drunk something something good old boy from the good old days something something support local something something

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Dhaliwal is useful as a mouthpiece for agents. Manages to break quite a bit of stuff that way.

As an actual sports mind … there isn’t much there.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
That’s the thing nothing has moved. It only takes a few seconds of thought to realize that of course the team would rather have a deal worked out by then but that doesn’t mean nothing can happen before.
It was said that end of december was an internal deadline before

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I remember Dhaliwal’s first couple of years in Vancouver radio. Talking loudly and excitedly, like the score of a game that just ended was info only he had access to.
He’s harmless enough as a side piece to Taylor’s retirement gig, but an insider? Not even close.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dhaliwal's knowledge about how contracts/trades work is shockingly low for someone with his job. The easiest example I give is when the Canucks/EP were talking contract and he said one of the options both sides were talking about was a deal that would walk him right up to UFA. Drance had to remind him how the Canucks would never do that, and even still Dhaliwal pushed back that it was a legit option. He just gets the information and has no idea what to do with it.

But at least he gets the information, so he's still in the upper-half of local media.

Reactions: mathonwy and Vector

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Boy do I miss 1040! Three 4 hours shows each day that actually discussed things other than the Canucks. Sure, I am interested in the Canucks but can only take hearing so many times how badly we need right shot defencemen! Halford and Brough is the only show that talks about other sports...and they were on for 4 hours on 1040. Now we are subjected to Toronto voices including a Raptors hour (I know this is another sport....but again, from Toronto). Would much rather have a periodic interview on one of the other shows about the Raptors....but that can only happen on Halford & Brough now....whereas Sekeres & Price and even Donny & the Moj, would branch out into other sports. Very sad sports talk radio!

Reactions: NotSNFan

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Dhaliwal's knowledge about how contracts/trades work is shockingly low for someone with his job. The easiest example I give is when the Canucks/EP were talking contract and he said one of the options both sides were talking about was a deal that would walk him right up to UFA. Drance had to remind him how the Canucks would never do that, and even still Dhaliwal pushed back that it was a legit option. He just gets the information and has no idea what to do with it.

But at least he gets the information, so he's still in the upper-half of local media.
Just think of him as a news reader, reading off a teleprompter… but his teleprompter is a text from players management.

Reactions: m9

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I remember Dhaliwal’s first couple of years in Vancouver radio. Talking loudly and excitedly, like the score of a game that just ended was info only he had access to.
He’s harmless enough as a side piece to Taylor’s retirement gig, but an insider? Not even close.

I mean he’s blatantly fed talking points by agents, and probably the players themselves. Guess it depends on your definition of an insider, but I always thought the only reason he had a job even back to the 1140 days was he had an in with agents for some reason.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
I mean he’s blatantly fed talking points by agents, and probably the players themselves. Guess it depends on your definition of an insider, but I always thought the only reason he had a job even back to the 1140 days was he had an in with agents for some reason.
Fair enough. I always thought of as an insider as someone with some access to the inner workings of a team, not just someone who read a note passed to him by someone else.
I don’t dislike Dhaliwal, I just find him more the puppet than the ventriloquist, if that makes sense.
It won’t though, as it’s late and I’ve had four margaritas. Lol

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Fair enough. I always thought of as an insider as someone with some access to the inner workings of a team, not just someone who read a note passed to him by someone else.
I don’t dislike Dhaliwal, I just find him more the puppet than the ventriloquist, if that makes sense.
It won’t though, as it’s late and I’ve had four margaritas. Lol
dun worry dogg, you coherent and shit

• Haha
Reactions: Kevinsane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad