The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
As long as that happens before free agency and his money is off the books so they can re-sign Kuzmenko. If he's talking DURING next season, he's out of his mind.

From the article:

As a deadline rental in 2024, provided that salary were retained and he’s healthy, Myers would be highly sought after. Think of the Josh Manson return as a comparable starting point.

Particularly when a Myers trade — should it occur a year (or more) from now — could return the sort of valuable, future-looking assets this club desperately requires to get back on track at some point this decade.

So, wants to see them hold on to him and trade him next deadline. I see the logic but don’t agree with it at all. Trade him this summer and reallocate the capspace to Kuzmenko or elsewhere on defence.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
As long as that happens before free agency and his money is off the books so they can re-sign Kuzmenko. If he's talking DURING next season, he's out of his mind.
It'll happen after his signing bonus is paid, July 1st or 15th.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
From the article:

As a deadline rental in 2024, provided that salary were retained and he’s healthy, Myers would be highly sought after. Think of the Josh Manson return as a comparable starting point.

Particularly when a Myers trade — should it occur a year (or more) from now — could return the sort of valuable, future-looking assets this club desperately requires to get back on track at some point this decade.

So, wants to see them hold on to him and trade him next deadline. I see the logic but don’t agree with it at all. Trade him this summer and reallocate the capspace to Kuzmenko or elsewhere on defence.

I mentioned this before. There is an opportunity cost to holding onto players for the sake of better "asset management." Like you, I see the logic but don't agree with it. There's always the risk that the player's performance falls off a cliff or is injured at the deadline.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wish Botch was still alive so he could come up with a derogatory name for Myers. I remember him referring to Guddy as "-27" before he got traded to Pittsburgh. Still makes me laugh thinking about it.
Honestly in light of Botch’s personal struggles he shouldn’t have been name calling other people.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
From the article:

I don't really agree with this either. It completely discounts the risk of Myers regressing further (he already isn't that good) and things like him getting injured etc. I think if you can get a decent return on him now you do it.

There's nothing to say he's not worth even less next year. That's the problem with a lot of these Canucks contracts ... I don't see these players getting better.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
From the article:

That's asinine IMO even for a favorable RD market. You're better served dumping Myers for the best return now, taking the cap savings and re-allocating it to a more suitable player. Myers is a good player, but what's his role? He's not quite good enough to be a rover long-term and he's not quite good enough to be a shut-down long-term. He's a fine player who hasn't had a concrete role in this league.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Not a Vancouver media item

During the intermission of the Colorado game broadcast one of the panel, Sam Cosentino, did a parody of Vancouver fans, waving his hands around, jumping up and down and saying we want Bedard, we want Bedard, that fans are panicky.

I thought of this as a huge insult for fans in Vancouver, that they are all perceived to be childish and ignorant in their expectations.

I sometimes wonder if any of these panel members, Sam, Justin and Stewy have ever looked at the past years of fan support? The arena has been fairly filled every night even with YEARS of the same thing happening over and over again with the same core.

They don't understand the amount of bad hockey and hockey decisions that pushed fans to hiring a flying sign.

They seem to think the majority of fans want Boudreau fired and will sometimes talk about that.

The one thing they rarely discuss is this groups record over the years or how fan distrust was earned by years of bad everything. Or how the expectations were raised by comments management has made.

If anything that little pantomime of fans was really an exposure to how little they know of the market or the team. They appear shallow and not very informative with little insight to this team. IMO they should have a person on the panel that is from the area and familiar with the team.

You never see those panel members doing a parody of TO or Montreal fans.

I found that parody insulting and extremely disrespectful and not even close to funny considering the years of commitment and support this franchise has received. Sort of like fans should "sit down and shut up".

I wish I knew how to take that portion of the interview and post it

Last edited:
Reactions: Aphid Attraction

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Not a Vancouver media item

During the intermission of the Colorado game broadcast one of the panel, Sam Cosentino, did a parody of Vancouver fans, waving his hands around, jumping up and down and saying we want Bedard, we want Bedard, that fans are panicky.

I thought of this as a huge insult for fans in Vancouver, that they are all perceived to be childish and ignorant in their expectations.

I sometimes wonder if any of these panel members, Sam, Justin and Stewy have ever looked at the past years of fan support? The arena has been fairly filled every night even with YEARS of the same thing happening over and over again with the same core.

They don't understand the amount of bad hockey and hockey decisions that pushed fans to hiring a flying sign.

They seem to think the majority of fans want Boudreau fired and will sometimes talk about that.

The one thing they rarely discuss is this groups record over the years or how fan distrust was earned by years of bad everything. Or how the expectations were raised by comments management has made.

If anything that little pantomime of fans was really an exposure to how little they know of the market or the team. They appear shallow and not very informative with little insight to this team. IMO they should have a person on the panel that is from the area and familiar with the team.

You never see those panel members doing a parody of TO or Montreal fans.

I found that parody insulting and extremely disrespectful and not even close to funny considering the years of commitment and support this franchise has received. Sort of like fans should "sit down and shut up".

I wish I knew how to take that portion of the interview and post it

I don't think we are actually any different than most fans. I just think there is more of us than other places. I remember just before the Gillis era, the Canucks.com board was the largest board online. This just means that you will also have more bad fans who act a certain way.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I don't think we are actually any different than most fans. I just think there is more of us than other places. I remember just before the Gillis era, the Canucks.com board was the largest board online. This just means that you will also have more bad fans who act a certain way.
But should not be ridiculed on national TV by panel members that have never lived here or know the years of support fans invested in this team before the final straw and why there is such a lack of enthusiasm and rightful doubt of this group/mix of players.
Some of the angst felt by fans this year was created by expectations, then statements made by management and coaches. Repeating what was said in the past raises red flags. Re-earning the trust of fans, the blind trust of the past will take concrete decisions and proactive actions.

Being laughed off by unknowledgeable panel members on national tv is, and was not kosher, or called for.

During the Benning era CDC banned critics from the forum.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
But should not be ridiculed on national TV by panel members that have never lived here or know the years of support fans invested in this team before the final straw and why there is such a lack of enthusiasm and rightful doubt of this group/mix of players.
Some of the angst felt by fans this year was created by expectations, then statements made by management and coaches. Repeating what was said in the past raises red flags. Re-earning the trust of fans, the blind trust of the past will take concrete decisions and proactive actions.

Being laughed off by unknowledgeable panel members on national tv is, and was not kosher, or called for.

During the Benning era CDC banned critics from the forum.

Making general statements is normally a bit dangerous. To be fair to them I have heard media here say similar things.

I think it is a bit like us last night when A SINGLE fan threw something at Petey, I don't think the entire Avs Fan Base is bad.

What I think from your description is of the media, should be more careful and put some qualifications on things. Like a vocal number of fans from Vancouver are X. Its the difference between good broadcasters though. Some just understand these types of nuances.

Reactions: theguardianII

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Honestly in light of Botch’s personal struggles he shouldn’t have been name calling other people.
this. I never understood the love affair with Botch. yes its sad when ANYONE passes and I dont wish that on literally anyone but he overdosed on cocaine laced with fentynal. Lets call it what it is. He wasn't a drug addict, he was a recreational cocaine user and it caught up with him. He left behind a wife and kids taking a chance cuz he wanted to party. And they are building park benches for him.... I don't get it.

What about Stan Smyls wife...where is her bench? Brock Boesers dads bench? Taylor Pyatts fiances bench? Luc Bourdons bench?

I am kinda sick of hearing about a guy that made a choice and paid the ultimate price whereas the above mentioned dont get the talk when they had no choice.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
this. I never understood the love affair with Botch. yes its sad when ANYONE passes and I dont wish that on literally anyone but he overdosed on cocaine laced with fentynal. Lets call it what it is. He wasn't a drug addict, he was a recreational cocaine user and it caught up with him. He left behind a wife and kids taking a chance cuz he wanted to party. And they are building park benches for him.... I don't get it.

What about Stan Smyls wife...where is her bench? Brock Boesers dads bench? Taylor Pyatts fiances bench? Luc Bourdons bench?

I am kinda sick of hearing about a guy that made a choice and paid the ultimate price whereas the above mentioned dont get the talk when they had no choice.

Agreed, generally. And to be fair, this was discussed here at the time of his death or soon after.

By all appearances he wasn't a drug addict, he was a recreational drug user who for whatever reason made the decision to use during a time when he would know the potential consequences. He had a young family and it was a selfish decision that he paid the ultimate price for.

I did very much enjoy Botch's work and wish he was still covering the team. It's a tough one because some of the media "covering" his death are also his friends so there are definitely some blurred lines. Personally, a little less praise and a little more awareness for the issue that killed him would be nice. But it's also understandable that his friends don't want to go in that direction or have him remembered that way.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Personally, a little less praise and a little more awareness for the issue that killed him would be nice. But it's also understandable that his friends don't want to go in that direction or have him remembered that way.

Nail on the head. No one should die from having something in their shit they didn't know would be in there. Those kids that died in New West in 2015 or 16, can't remember what year because fentanyl was laced in their shit breaks my heart and no one cares/don't care enough because it's drugs.

Reactions: m9

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Agreed, generally. And to be fair, this was discussed here at the time of his death or soon after.

By all appearances he wasn't a drug addict, he was a recreational drug user who for whatever reason made the decision to use during a time when he would know the potential consequences. He had a young family and it was a selfish decision that he paid the ultimate price for.

I did very much enjoy Botch's work and wish he was still covering the team. It's a tough one because some of the media "covering" his death are also his friends so there are definitely some blurred lines. Personally, a little less praise and a little more awareness for the issue that killed him would be nice. But it's also understandable that his friends don't want to go in that direction or have him remembered that way.
For sure, I agree.

he was good at his job
he was a cocaine user
he was selfish (knowing the fentanyl lacing and ODs in the city at the time)

all those things can be true.

he doesn't deserve a park bench over the people I mentioned above. Stan Smyl has been in this organization for 40 f***ing years. I want to see a Jennifer Smyl bench.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
For sure, I agree.

he was good at his job
he was a cocaine user
he was selfish (knowing the fentanyl lacing and ODs in the city at the time)

all those things can be true.

he doesn't deserve a park bench over the people I mentioned above. Stan Smyl has been in this organization for 40 f***ing years. I want to see a Jennifer Smyl bench.

Wasn't the bench something done by his friends? Or are you referring to something else?

If it's just the one from his friends, then I don't see what the issue is. They can do as they wish. Just like the Smyl family can do as they wish.

Reactions: mriswith

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Wasn't the bench something done by his friends? Or are you referring to something else?

If it's just the one from his friends, then I don't see what the issue is. They can do as they wish. Just like the Smyl family can do as they wish.
It was organized by Wyatt Arndt aka the Stanchion, his backup Provies/Athletties writer with contributions from fans. Nothing to do with the team.

Reactions: gringo and m9

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I try to avoid talking about Botch because I wasn't his biggest fan and he meant A LOT to pretty much every single recent local Canucks media person. He had a huge influence on all of their careers, often directly. Apparently was an excellent mentor and constantly went out of his way to provide advice, help, and get people opportunities.

The problem I have, and again I avoid talking about the specifics of his death since I find it quite callous, is that the many seemed to be influenced by his style but not his substance. I wasn't a fan of how he wrote but the content was filled with relevant criticism and insider tidbits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad