The Vancouver Canucks: Great Moments in Time

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

maybe my favourite game of all time

rookie bure with the hat trick

young force of nature keith tkachuk bulldozing his way through the crease to get the game's first goal, later potting a second one to pull the jets back to 5-3, then at the end of the game wildly swinging at bure on a breakaway and looking sad like a tkachuk in the playoffs watching bure celebrate

the big beefy line of sandlak, fergus, and nedved scaring the bejeezus out of phil housley and causing him to cough up the puck basically at will

jets coach john paddock looking like the spitting image of hitler

game 5 and game 7 were also great games. we were down 3-1 in the series and then just destroyed rick tabaracci in games 5 and 6 (7 pts by bure in those two games), before quinn reunited courtnall with ronning and linden in game 7 and he sealed the comeback with a natural hat trick.

Sounds like a young John Garrett doing the colour. I didn't realize he'd been around 30 years.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
one memory i have of that series is sandlak looked like he was finally going to come through on his promise. game 5 in particular was a monster game for him. one big moment i didn't remember until seeing it again was him starting off the game nailing evgeni davydov into the camerman and cutting his face up. but then that tip/redirect on bure's PP point shot to put us up 2-0 and then the later goal scorer's goal to start the third.

and on top of that, him applying himself physically and just dominating winnipeg's d, especially poor housley.

without that playoff series, i don't think we could have gotten back craven, scoring at a career high point/game rate at the time of the trade, for him and kron the next year.
One of my favourite Canucks moments ever. :thumbu:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Welcome to what is for my money - the most impressive game Roberto Luongo had in a Canucks uni. This only really shows a glimpse, but the guy was getting lambasted all summer in 2010 for his poor playoff performance against the Hawks. The first two games against them that year, we played quite lackluster. One was a shootout at UC, 2-1 don't remember who won. Then a month later we got lit up on HNiC 7-1 at home. Everybody was calling for AV's head after that one. We were only 10-7-3 or something at that time.

Then, we got this one. At first glance, I see how this game is (IMO) overlooked. But put in the context, the Canucks played a rather pedestrian game in the 1st period and in the 2nd period our defense got picked apart. The Hawks were following the Byfuglien strategy as seen, he got bumped into and got some snow showers throughout the night. The 3rd was only barely better. We ended up getting outshot 32-18. So, a 32-save shutout. But the Hawks were buzzing, I am fairly certain Luongo ended up making 10 or 11 high danger scoring chances with almost no help from the defense.

I don't even remember Turco being a Hawk. :laugh:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Too bad Mr. Ego hated him and traded him. Too bad about the back disease too. While he was here the 2nd unit PP was better than some teams 1rst. That changed almost to the day he was traded, the PP plummeted and 3rd line scoring disappeared immediately. They thought they were getting AV's past player, Kassian, the 3rd/4th line pounder, as the Buffalo coach stated "they are not getting the player they think".

Hodgson wanted top 6 minutes on a team with Kesler and Henrik. To that I would say keep dreaming. Don't know where AV coached Kassian before this. Still think we just should have waited until the offseason.

Reactions: theguardianII

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Was coming here to post this. This was the first NHL game I ever attended, and this penalty shot is burned in my brain. So glad video exists of it.

Also -

I was there too... you shoulda said 'hi'.

Same season, same teams, same building (with the jersey color swap for the second half of the season), and I'm surprised no one else has posted it yet, because this will always be one of my fondest memories as a hockey fan (and I know it is for @MS too because we've talked about it on here):

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I love this thread. A lot of beauty moments here that I remember watching live on tv. Loved the Linden/Norton hit, and all of the fond memories of the 94 Cup finals. The Gino penalty shot goal was priceless.

Two great moments that should be added on here "I don't know how to post videos" but,

The April 10th 2013 goal against Calgary. Hank wins the faceoff, the puck goes to the point and fired to the corner where Daniel receives the pass and goes in between his legs for his hat trick goal. That was a thing of beauty.

Also loved when Gino fought every single St Louis Blue on the ice, and they all started skating away in fear.

Reactions: God

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i was trying to remember a specific moment from that series and all i could think of was housley in the corner. that series is one of my favourites.

The Phil Housley -5 game.

Normally I'm against using one-game sample sizes to define a player's career, but that game should be shown on repeat Clockwork Orange-style to every person who voted Housley into the HHOF.

it has to be done

goal #1: housley gets caught way up ice, dives in vain to catch ronning on the breakaway

7630071E-A1EF-41E8-B415-82FF7C510ED2.jpeg

goal #2: gets totally spun around chasing the play and ends up on the ice like he’s breakdancing as the canucks score on a nice tic tac toe play

9AC2882E-3B44-4BC7-BB02-C51234F5DF3E.jpeg

goal #3: somehow gets lost for a second behind the net before he realizes that fergus is all alone in the slot (stays on his feet lol)

02371288-394A-4616-B247-694033FD42C2.jpeg

goal #4: ulanov has the puck in the corner so housley blows the zone early, only ulanov puts it right on bure’s stick with no defender in sight

AD983FC3-147A-4F62-B791-A9DDE865BAE4.jpeg

goal #5: larionov lobs it to bure, who gets behind winnipeg’s d, breakaway, hat trick (housley manages to stay on his feet again)

D3E1BEE5-E0D5-4FBD-BC44-52D890CAC326.jpeg

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I love this thread. A lot of beauty moments here that I remember watching live on tv. Loved the Linden/Norton hit, and all of the fond memories of the 94 Cup finals. The Gino penalty shot goal was priceless.

Two great moments that should be added on here "I don't know how to post videos" but,

The April 10th 2013 goal against Calgary. Hank wins the faceoff, the puck goes to the point and fired to the corner where Daniel receives the pass and goes in between his legs for his hat trick goal. That was a thing of beauty.

Also loved when Gino fought every single St Louis Blue on the ice, and they all started skating away in fear.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As much as 94 was my era of Canucks that built me, that series is my favourite.

I always thought Salo would have been a clear #1 dman, he was just to oft injured.
Amen to that-- he basically played perfect hockey when he was healthy, IMO. Even guys like Ohlund or Mitchell were a lot less mistake-free than he was defensively, and beyond that, offensively he was a guy dangerous enough for the entire PP (and the opposition's PK) to be focused around him. Also fantastic ability to PK, move the puck, hold the line, and perform under pressure.

It was both injuries and lack of ability to eat up a large amount of minutes due to fear of injury, though.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Amen to that-- he basically played perfect hockey when he was healthy, IMO. Even guys like Ohlund or Mitchell were a lot less mistake-free than he was defensively, and beyond that, offensively he was a guy dangerous enough for the entire PP (and the opposition's PK) to be focused around him. Also fantastic ability to PK, move the puck, hold the line, and perform under pressure.

It was both injuries and lack of ability to eat up a large amount of minutes due to fear of injury, though.

mitchell/salo is probably the best d pair i've ever seen on this team

but otoh, imagine hughes with salo, holy moly...

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

I want that #22 orca sweater

Tiger with two fights in his sixth? game as a Canuck including a decent one at the end with Brisbane where he takes exception to Brisbane poking him in the cheek, probably trying to get his helmet off.

Bathe? makes a mistake in trying to take on Jerry Butler and Butler ends up pounding him. Bathe is completely woozy as he nearly falls trying to get himself to the box. Pretty clear he's going there with a concussion that won't be diagnosed.

Its hard to find an actual good scrap with Tiger in Nucklehead uniform. He loses in a decision here but it's fun to watch - classic even. No D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad