The Vancouver Canucks: Great Moments in Time

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I think we all love Corey Schneider. Very likeable guy and a good goalie but with a short time spent in the upper tier of goatlenders. Careerwise, the guy Schneider was traded for (via a #9 draft pick), has fared a little better.

So, does anyone else besides me get just a little satisfaction at Pierre McGuire's over-the-top exuberance and praise of Lou Lamoriello, and how wrong both Lamoriello and McGuire were proven to be?

"That man just pulled a major heist!" - Pierre McGuire :laugh:

Reactions: December5th

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It did look like he might win a Vezina sometime though (Schneider); particularly with the stroke Lamoriella has with the league. I'm not saying he'd "fix' the votes but....

Gillis did go about it azz backwards in handling the goalie situation. He just lucked out it turned out well.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Does anyone remember the early days of YouTube, lets say around 2005-2007ish where fans would do Canucks videos supplied with music in the background?

Good times, good times.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think we all love Corey Schneider. Very likeable guy and a good goalie but with a short time spent in the upper tier of goatlenders. Careerwise, the guy Schneider was traded for (via a #9 draft pick), has fared a little better.

So, does anyone else besides me get just a little satisfaction at Pierre McGuire's over-the-top exuberance and praise of Lou Lamoriello, and how wrong both Lamoriello and McGuire were proven to be?

"That man just pulled a major heist!" - Pierre McGuire :laugh:

My favourite Pierre McGuire moment was the July 1 UFA broadcast in 2016 where he spent the day absolutely fellating the signings of Eriksson/Lucic/Backes/Okposo - the worst group of UFA signings in NHL history - as absolute game-changers for their teams and then got up on his soapbox and absolutely tore a strip out of Montreal for giving a 1-year deal for $5 million or something to Alex Radulov, which turned out to be the single best-value deal of the day.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
My favourite Pierre McGuire moment was the July 1 UFA broadcast in 2016 where he spent the day absolutely fellating the signings of Eriksson/Lucic/Backes/Okposo - the worst group of UFA signings in NHL history - as absolute game-changers for their teams and then got up on his soapbox and absolutely tore a strip out of Montreal for giving a 1-year deal for $5 million or something to Alex Radulov, which turned out to be the single best-value deal of the day.
And Jim Benning went *HARD* after Lucic (with Eriksson as his plan B).

Elite hockey talent evaluator.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
And on a related note, no Pierre McGuire moment will ever top this.

ezgif-4-bf482854ec.gif

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It did look like he might win a Vezina sometime though (Schneider); particularly with the stroke Lamoriella has with the league. I'm not saying he'd "fix' the votes but....

Gillis did go about it azz backwards in handling the goalie situation. He just lucked out it turned out well.

Gillis wanted a rebuild, clearing out elite goalies, who can destroy a tank, is a good start. It just turned out a bit messy process but right idea.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Horvats SHG to start game 2. 'Bo Horvat did that!!!'

Was a drop the mic moment to the defending champs. I've said it before, I'll say it again, Bo vs Blues was better than Kesler vs Nashville. There were just other notable performances that took away from Bo, while the Nashville series was bland otherwise.

Also with the arena empty, the feels weren't as high, but doesn't take away from the play.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Horvats SHG to start game 2. 'Bo Horvat did that!!!'

Was a drop the mic moment to the defending champs. I've said it before, I'll say it again, Bo vs Blues was better than Kesler vs Nashville. There were just other notable performances that took away from Bo, while the Nashville series was bland otherwise.

Also with the arena empty, the feels weren't as high, but doesn't take away from the play.
Lol. That bubble especially the early rounds was pre-season level hockey.

Reactions: timw33

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
It was not typical playoff hockey but given the state of the world, it was still memorable which is the point of the thread.
All things considered, I thought it was great hockey.

"Larry Ashley gets called Harry Neale, by mistake"

The team went on a roll after that (Neal being suspended & Captain Video taking over as head coach).

That was absolutely awesome. Even Roger Neilson was in the mix. :laugh:

Reactions: Hit the post

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't say this was a great moment, but it was definitely a memorable one.

Poor Schneider, his NHL career didn’t last long

This was awesome, but shows how far we've come as a fanbase. Making the playoffs used to be the benchmark.

You gotta realize this was before the salary cap era, pre lockout. Canucks were not one of the big salary teams in the league and making the playoffs was a big deal.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Poor Schneider, his NHL career didn’t last long

You gotta realize this was before the salary cap era, pre lockout. Canucks were not one of the big salary teams in the league and making the playoffs was a big deal.
I'll somewhat agree, but the team had just tried to buy a cup throughout the mid nineties. Messier, Mogilny etc. They spent money in the McCaw years, but mostly looking for the big splash.

There was an excitement at that time as this was a younger core coming together. It was the start of the WCE days, so there was lots of hope for the future.

The difference is now, if the Canucks were to squeak in, the fanbase is already looking 1-2 years down the road and seeing that it will be a dire situation, so the excitement would be muted. I think this is the key miscalculation of this ownership group.

Reactions: Kevinsane

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Posted this one a long time ago before this thread. I got the rights to this song from Rock 101 a long time ago when I had bigger plans to do something with this. But just made this instead. It was hard to find some decent footage of it all those years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad