The Vancouver Canucks: Great Moments in Time

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We need more video of guys like Delorme and Fraser. There’s a couple of beauty tilts from Delorme out there, but not many for Fraser - or Lupul for that matter.

I think Craig Coxe has some of the best tilts in team history. Odjick and Rypien were both highlight machines too. Walker vs Keane is an all timer. Brashear was a bit too technical to really enjoy from a highlight perspective, but there’s some good ones. And May either won big or lost big.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Momesso freaking out everything he fought. Always went insane lol.

i appreciated momesso because he would always be willing to fight anyone for the good of the team, no matter how badly he’d get caved in. but man for such a huge strong guy he sure took a lot of poundings.

here’s a blast from the past:

highlights: @6:27 antoski concusses kevin lowe with a high hit, then beats the holy hell out of mactavish

@11:59 momesso totally and completely willing to take on the scariest fighter of all time, joe kocur, but the refs save his life

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Hahahaha I was at that game. Gino swung his stick at Jile Keenan from the Canucks bench. Shawn Antoski just beat the wheels off Craig Mactavish and Momo swung his stick like an axe at Joey Kocur. Momesso won a lot more than he ever lost. Dana Murzyn got clubbed almost every fight though. Shane Corson filled him in pretty good one night, Todd Harvey too.

When Paddy arrived in 87, the teams toughness was Stan Smyl and Garth Butcher. He traded for Daryl Stanley, drafted Odjick and Antoski, traded for Greg C Adams, brought in Mel Bridgman. Two years later he picked up Gerald Diduck, Robert Dirk, Sergio Momesso in trades, and promoted Gino. Then grabbed Tim Hunter off waivers, promoted Shawn Antoski and nobody f***ed with that team.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The Irishman was the best
1704072301724.png

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
No love for Fraser,Delorme or Coxe? Fraser is the toughest guy we’ve ever had, perhaps Brashear but he was a shitty human.

"Look at that sunrise."
"But what about the moon?"

:DD

Love them all. Coxe vs. Probert was epic. Delorme was a favourite of mine at a time when we didn't have much to root for. Fraser, May, Momesso, Bieksa, and Gino. I know I'm forgetting some, but Rypien was my favourite, and arguably one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters ever in the NHL. Better than Jonathan? No idea. Rypien was a giant slayer too. I'm not sure about Jonathan. Rypien actually brought real boxing technique to the NHL that I had not seen before and have not seen since. He would block with one forearm and throw punches with the other.

Fighting and big hits were my favourite thing as a player, and my favourite thing as a fan. Even though Rypien is known more for his fighting than for his bodychecking, Rypien is at the top of the mountain for me.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
He was a real nice man. Back in the late 80’s I worked at the PNE for parking then got hired on for Canucks games. Quinn would come into the rink on Renfrew, smoke billowing out of his beamer, and treated everyone nice. Smyl was great, Larry Popein, Linden who was my age was great, Barry Pederson, Garth Butcher all awesome. Brian Burke was an absolute asshole.

The Canucks stunk then on the heels of the Cam Neely debacle and the building was half full. Got into a lot of free games after our work was done in 85-88. The whole Coliseum chanting for Albert. Crappy Tire commercial.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
We need more video of guys like Delorme and Fraser. There’s a couple of beauty tilts from Delorme out there, but not many for Fraser - or Lupul for that matter.

I think Craig Coxe has some of the best tilts in team history. Odjick and Rypien were both highlight machines too. Walker vs Keane is an all timer. Brashear was a bit too technical to really enjoy from a highlight perspective, but there’s some good ones. And May either won big or lost big.
I hadn’t seen this one since it happened live during one of those Wednesday Night Hockey BCTV used to for a short time…

Because so few Canucks games were televised, not many had seen Fraser fight. Everyone knew he was good at it…but, still, not many had actually seen him do it.

I was a kid when this game took place.

Jim Robson kept talking about Fraser taking either boxing/karate/tae kwon do in the off-season to improve his already impressive fighting prowess during the lead up to this fight…

Here is the fight (keep in mind myself, and many others hadn’t seen him fight to this point):

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I hadn’t seen this one since it happened live during one of those Wednesday Night Hockey BCTV used to for a short time…

Because so few Canucks games were televised, not many had seen Fraser fight. Everyone knew he was good at it…but, still, not many had actually seen him do it.

I was a kid when this game took place.

Jim Robson kept talking about Fraser taking either boxing/karate/tae kwon do in the off-season to improve his already impressive fighting prowess during the lead up to this fight…

Here is the fight (keep in mind myself, and many others hadn’t seen him fight to this point):

My Dad and his brothers played minor hockey with Curt Fraser. My Dad always talks about how insanely strong he was as a teenager - used to do snap curls with 150+ lbs on one hand at the age of like 14, and had shoulders as big as your head.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I used to be really active on hockeyfights.com back when it was in its heyday 20+ years ago. There were many a really, really knowledgeable hockey fans that frequented the site and discussed all of the old school fighters.

There was often a lot of disagreement over most of who was the best, or who had the hardest punch etc…

The problem with Fraser was unfortunately there were very few of his fights from Vancouver that were on TV. Most of his fights were from his Chicago days.

But, most all of the knowledgeable posters on the site agreed Fraser was one of, if not the hardest puncher in league history.

I believe he is the only guy to beat both Bob Probert and Joey Kocur while they were in their prime Bruise Brothers glory. This part I could be wrong about, but it may even have been in the same game where he beat one of them, and as would always happen if you were so fortunate to beat Kocur, you were going to have to answer to Bob Probert.

If you watch most all of the fights available of Fraser are virtually the exact same: the two combatants circle one another ready to throw punches (as you see above in the Farrish fight) but then the opponent grabs on and turns it into a wrestling match, throwing punches from in tight.
There were tougher guys than Fraser (although he’s still a legit all timer) but it was very rare you saw someone stand back and trade punches with him.
You’d see it more often in his early Vancouver days before word had spread around the league how hard he could punch. But once word had spread through the league, his fights were often boring as guys tied up his right hand immediately.

There is one fight out there of a legit fighter (Benn Wilson who many called the league champion at the time) trading punches with Fraser and beating him. Wilson was considerably bigger than Fraser, and on hockeyfights.com was generally regarded as the 2nd best fighter of all time behind Probert.

My Dad and his brothers played minor hockey with Curt Fraser. My Dad always talks about how insanely strong he was as a teenager - used to do snap curls with 150+ lbs on one hand at the age of like 14, and had shoulders as big as your head.
I’ve heard people say he was super strong for his size.

He was a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic and had a lot of problems putting on weight/keeping his weight up (at least when he was in his Canuck days they used to talk about that). He was 190 pounds and would fight and beat almost everyoybody.

Loved Fraser. My favorite Canuck of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
xposting this from another thread

gary suter was famous for devastating cheap shots. there was lomakin in the 1987 canada cup, and later the crimes against hockey that will keep him out of the hall of fame even though he probably was good enough to make it in a weak year: his career-altering hits on gretzky and kariya.

a lesser known suter cheap shot was against greg c. adams in game one of the 1989 playoffs.

g

does suter accidentally/on purpose also fall stick first onto him after?

that was a great game. we’d come back to tie it in the third, with little skriko scoring a gutsy goal going to the net after being flattened by a huge open ice hit. reinhart ended up winning it in overtime.

why is this in the greatest moments thread? because in game 5, karma came calling. mel bridgman broke his jaw on this hit, injuring him for the rest of the season. did bridgman take suter’s number and wait for an opportunity to catch him with a high elbow? i don’t use the word hero very often but...

so that cheap POS gary suter had to sit out for the entire rest of the playoffs while his teammates won the stanley cup. that was the second finals run that suter missed the majority of, having also gotten injured in the second round during calgary's 1986 run. he might own a ring but as far as i’m concerned that jackass never won a stanley cup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

This sounds like one those barstool stories that gets told so often it becomes mythical. Not sure what a snap curl is but probably only the 1% of elite strength athletes can curl a 150+lb weight with one hand. Try and find a video of someone doing a proper curl of a 150lb dumbbell with one hand/arm. The struggle is real.

Last edited:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
xposting this from another thread

gary suter was famous for devastating cheap shots. there was lomakin in the 1987 canada cup, and later the crimes against hockey that will keep him out of the hall of fame even though he probably was good enough to make it in a weak year: his career-altering hits on gretzky and kariya.

a lesser known suter cheap shot was against greg c. adams in game one of the 1989 playoffs.

g

does suter accidentally/on purpose also fall stick first onto him after?

that was a great game. we’d come back to tie it in the third, with little skriko scoring a gutsy goal going to the net after being flattened by a huge open ice hit. reinhart ended up winning it in overtime.

why is this in the greatest moments thread? because in game 5, karma came calling. mel bridgman broke his jaw on this hit, injuring him for the rest of the season. did bridgman take suter’s number and wait for an opportunity to catch him with a high elbow? i don’t use the word hero very often but...

so that cheap POS gary suter had to sit out for the entire rest of the playoffs while his teammates won the stanley cup. that was the second finals run that suter missed the majority of, having also gotten injured in the second round during calgary's 1986 run. he might own a ring but as far as i’m concerned that jackass never won a stanley cup.

The timestamp isn't cueing up for me in the right place in the Bridgman video. Got a time you can give me? Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad