The Vancouver Canucks: Great Moments in Time

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I think about this game all the time. Healy going on before the game started about how Burrows was a passenger with the Sedins and barely gets any touches only for him to have an outstanding individual scoring game and set up the Sedins. Luongo pulled early so Raycroft gets his revenge game. Sedins completely take over in the third and complete the comeback. Just poetry.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
1669622474041.png

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

maybe my favourite game of all time

rookie bure with the hat trick

young force of nature keith tkachuk bulldozing his way through the crease to get the game's first goal, later potting a second one to pull the jets back to 5-3, then at the end of the game wildly swinging at bure on a breakaway and looking sad like a tkachuk in the playoffs watching bure celebrate

the big beefy line of sandlak, fergus, and nedved scaring the bejeezus out of phil housley and causing him to cough up the puck basically at will

jets coach john paddock looking like the spitting image of hitler

game 5 and game 7 were also great games. we were down 3-1 in the series and then just destroyed rick tabaracci in games 5 and 6 (7 pts by bure in those two games), before quinn reunited courtnall with ronning and linden in game 7 and he sealed the comeback with a natural hat trick.

i was trying to remember a specific moment from that series and all i could think of was housley in the corner. that series is one of my favourites.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if anyone can find it there is a goal ronning scored to beat hrudy on a slapshot from very high in the slot against the kings in 1991. it was either a playoff game or at the end of the season trying to clinch a spot. i believe it was late in the third but i am not sure it if was a gamewinner so much as a statement goal. after so many years of losing those games, and getting dummied by gretzky in particular it felt so good. i can recall thinking at the time "finally we have legitimate hockey team that can score nice goals".

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
if anyone can find it there is a goal ronning scored to beat hrudy on a slapshot from very high in the slot against the kings in 1991. it was either a playoff game or at the end of the season trying to clinch a spot. i believe it was late in the third but i am not sure it if was a gamewinner so much as a statement goal. after so many years of losing those games, and getting dummied by gretzky in particular it felt so good. i can recall thinking at the time "finally we have legitimate hockey team that can score nice goals".

Not sure if this is what you're talking about but it is Ronning scoring a game winner against the Kings in the 91 playoffs. Goal doesn't match your description.

Ronning Helps Vancouver Beat Kings

Reactions: krutovsdonut

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i was trying to remember a specific moment from that series and all i could think of was housley in the corner. that series is one of my favourites.

one memory i have of that series is sandlak looked like he was finally going to come through on his promise. game 5 in particular was a monster game for him. one big moment i didn't remember until seeing it again was him starting off the game nailing evgeni davydov into the camerman and cutting his face up. but then that tip/redirect on bure's PP point shot to put us up 2-0 and then the later goal scorer's goal to start the third.

and on top of that, him applying himself physically and just dominating winnipeg's d, especially poor housley.

without that playoff series, i don't think we could have gotten back craven, scoring at a career high point/game rate at the time of the trade, for him and kron the next year.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
another favourite non-'94 playoffs moment from the early 90s is bure in the second round against LA in 1993. he was totally shut down that series, with rookie alexei zhitnik iirc just totally doing a job on him.

i remember midway through game two he'd just spent a game and a half being totally brutalized. slegr springs him for a breakaway with jay wells waterskiing on him and then...

watch him use wells' weight and momentum to execute that spin to the backhand while bowling wells right into hrudey

eleven year old me must have jumped through the roof when he scored that one

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Welcome to what is for my money - the most impressive game Roberto Luongo had in a Canucks uni. This only really shows a glimpse, but the guy was getting lambasted all summer in 2010 for his poor playoff performance against the Hawks. The first two games against them that year, we played quite lackluster. One was a shootout at UC, 2-1 don't remember who won. Then a month later we got lit up on HNiC 7-1 at home. Everybody was calling for AV's head after that one. We were only 10-7-3 or something at that time.

Then, we got this one. At first glance, I see how this game is (IMO) overlooked. But put in the context, the Canucks played a rather pedestrian game in the 1st period and in the 2nd period our defense got picked apart. The Hawks were following the Byfuglien strategy as seen, he got bumped into and got some snow showers throughout the night. The 3rd was only barely better. We ended up getting outshot 32-18. So, a 32-save shutout. But the Hawks were buzzing, I am fairly certain Luongo ended up making 10 or 11 high danger scoring chances with almost no help from the defense.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
found it i think. i recall it higher in the slot and him skating right to left, but it is a slapper goal that beat hrudey in the 3rd period anyway. this is the game 1 winner. he scored 6 goals in that series and 1 goal in the 3rd in the last game against kings of the season so it is possible it is anoter.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
one memory i have of that series is sandlak looked like he was finally going to come through on his promise. game 5 in particular was a monster game for him. one big moment i didn't remember until seeing it again was him starting off the game nailing evgeni davydov into the camerman and cutting his face up. but then that tip/redirect on bure's PP point shot to put us up 2-0 and then the later goal scorer's goal to start the third.

and on top of that, him applying himself physically and just dominating winnipeg's d, especially poor housley.

without that playoff series, i don't think we could have gotten back craven, scoring at a career high point/game rate at the time of the trade, for him and kron the next year.

we called him big jim sportcamper in my circle. always felt bad he missed the 94 run although i agree he likely had to go for it to happen.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS THREAD!!!!!

Why? Because the current group is SOOOooo far behind.

Those teams were never as bad as this group has been for 7 years and they didn't take a decade to change from mediocre to contender.

Ya the cap hurts but other teams rocket past as this group is stationary and in HOPE of just making a playoff spot.

My favourite was Bure's first shift, he didn't score but it was the introduction of the first ever super star of the Canucks. And the Churla hit, that was retaliation for an earlier elbow. But it was BRUTAL essentially ending his career, he was never the same after. Now it would get half a season suspension or more.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Man, Ronning was such a great player. Dude was like 5'7'' and played in such a dirty era. Players like that are what I mean when I say players don't need to be big, they have to play big. No fear at all.

i remember after the trade, from hockey cards i knew who courtnall and momesso were but i had never heard of ronning before. but then a couple of weeks after the trade, quinn puts ronning between courtnall and linden and he starts to put up some points (he finished the season on a 5 goal, 9 pt tear in his last six games, with the lifeline pulling us into the playoffs in the last game of the season).

i didn't watch any of those games, but people at school were starting to talk about this cliff ronning guy. and his name is cliff ronning, so i imagined this big huge butch guy, like basically bruce willis in die hard scowling in a wifebeater.

and then in the playoffs i finally saw him and i'm like, this is cliff ronning? tiny little buzzsaw who looks like bryan adams? but goddamn what a series that line had, at least the first few games before gretzky took care of business. and on a line with the clutchest canuck ever (courtnall) and the playoffiest canuck of all time (linden), ronning was the best one.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Too bad Mr. Ego hated him and traded him. Too bad about the back disease too. While he was here the 2nd unit PP was better than some teams 1rst. That changed almost to the day he was traded, the PP plummeted and 3rd line scoring disappeared immediately. They thought they were getting AV's past player, Kassian, the 3rd/4th line pounder, as the Buffalo coach stated "they are not getting the player they think".

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

young force of nature keith tkachuk bulldozing his way through the crease to get the game's first goal, later potting a second one to pull the jets back to 5-3, then at the end of the game wildly swinging at bure on a breakaway and looking sad like a tkachuk in the playoffs watching bure celebrate

the big beefy line of sandlak, fergus, and nedved scaring the bejeezus out of phil housley and causing him to cough up the puck basically at will

game 5 and game 7 were also great games. we were down 3-1 in the series and then just destroyed rick tabaracci in games 5 and 6 (7 pts by bure in those two games), before quinn reunited courtnall with ronning and linden in game 7 and he sealed the comeback with a natural hat trick.

The Phil Housley -5 game.

Normally I'm against using one-game sample sizes to define a player's career, but that game should be shown on repeat Clockwork Orange-style to every person who voted Housley into the HHOF.

• Haha

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

Sandlak was a beast that game. I was hating on Virtanen when he was drafted, calling him another Sandlak. Now I feel like I owe Jim an apology...

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
One of my favourite Canucks moments is the woman who flashed her boobs at Ben Eager. I have it on my YouTube channel but I can't post it here because it contains uncensored boobs.

However, you can probably find it if you follow the Linden hit on Jeff Norton video that I posted above. "Flasher" might be a keyword worth trying.

I was about 9 when this happened during an, IIRC, BCTV broadcast...

ExpSgGJW8AABfqu.jpg

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Great thread idea!

Probably my favourite series of all time just some really great highs. First this freaking assist. Like who does this?

This game where our PK stood on its head then when we finally got our chance going the other way we had those huge one timers from Salo and Kes.

Finally the goal that we all just celebrated a few weeks back.

Torres was penalized for some great, legal hits. Dumbass refs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: