GDT: The Trotz was forced outters @ The Trotz is a quitters, 3:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team SWOLEvechkin

Oct 4, 2019
When you can count on Holts to play out of the back like a defenseman you can break the 3-man forecheck. When you get the Holts that gives away one and can't control rebounds, you end up with pucks in the back of your net. Holts was responsible for 2 and a half of those goals, and it turns out that was the margin of difference.

I expect Holts to have a bounce-back game and the team to rally with Lars back and Lee being Public Enemy #1. I'm sure he won't get a hearing with the league but it seems like the kinda hit Willy gets 3 for.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
what do people want TR to do exactly? he's got one goalie who sucks and another who hurt himself and lied.
He should resign. That’s what he should do. He should quit... that’s best case scenario.

he can bring the assistants with him.

If Reirden was fired end of season - no team in the nhl would hire him as a head coach. So how in the f*** is he coaching a ovi lead team?

if we win I’ll be happy of course - But if we lose I hope it’s bc Reirden is so outmatched as a coach again the caps just get rid of him. No reason at all a even older team/more veteran team can come back with Reirden as coach again next year after 2 straight round one losses with the same core that won a cup he took over.

Reirden seemed to have lost the team even a couple months before the season ended. This has been a downward trend direction for awhile.

Reactions: Jarias2311

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I mean one could tell when the team is this old they physically wouldn't be able to come back from such deficits all the time. The best part from the quote I posted from twitter is the guy thinks the Caps are ready to implode and when this said not by a couch expert but by a NHL coach who knows his shit then it's pretty telling.

Yeah, I think ever since last years playoffs everyone knew that something is off. Implode is a little premature though.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Reirden is just a terrible coach. Holtby was certainly awful in this game also, but the Caps were outshot 20-11 at 5v5 in the game. They had 3 HDCF compared to the Islanders 9. Their defensive zone structure is a mess as is their neutral zone coverage. How many odd man rushes did they give up compared to the Islanders? How the hell do you even give up an odd man rush on that Islanders 4th goal? Discipline has been an issue for this team the last two years which once again points to coaching. There are many teams still playing right now that are worse teams than the Caps, but I don’t think there’s another team that is as poorly coached. Reirden does nothing to make this team better. Even when they win in the regular season it is rarely ever in convincing fashion and is usually due to the talent on the roster. I mean, the last 3 months or so of the regular season was pretty pitiful to watch and with 5 months to contemplate how to change things, the team looks no different now, except their 5v5 offense has gone MIA now as well.

Reactions: SpinningEdge

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I thought Kuzy was not that bad

Kovy - didnt expect anything, they should subst him for someone hitting 27 everytime

Vrana disappointing

Orlov certainly not on top of his game

Sammy, man... That will stink

+ No overtimes
+ Plenty of time to win the series
+ If its a loss Reirden should be gone

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Reirden sucks. Huge mistake letting Trotz go. Black mark for GMBM.
Mainly ownership - but def gmbm at fault too.

caps should of happily redone the contract and paid trotz fair market value after presidents trophy, presidents trophy, Stanley cup seasons. Only a really, really stupid decision allows a coach with those 3 previous seasons just walk - let alone to a divisional rival.

...... and then hires a rookie head coach and has bad assistants around him.

Reactions: Corby78

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Mainly ownership - but def gmbm at fault too.

caps should of happily redone the contract and paid trotz fair market value after presidents trophy, presidents trophy, Stanley cup seasons. Only a really, really stupid decision allows a coach with those 3 previous seasons just walk - let alone to a divisional rival.

...... and then hires a rookie head coach and has bad assistants around him.

I don't see them winning this series, and if I'm right thats two straight first round exits to lower seeds with a Cup worthy roster.

Wretched.

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt after the Cup, but not paying Trotz was an egregious move that should result in firings.

Reactions: Misery74

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I'm pretty sure most of the people here didn't recognize it when it was signed. Everyone was like " sign him at all cost!" and anybody with a question "why?" was looked at like a stupid idiot.
Backstrom, ovi, etc will never make me too upset. Backstrom was underpaid for years and he has been a pleasure cheering for. If his contract is bad for 5 more years - so be it. He needs to retire a cap. Same with ovi.

same reason I won’t shit on Holtby. What he did to help caps win a cup I’ll never forget. I won’t just shit on him.

the issue is the coaching staff. Yes, team is old - but they don’t even have a guy over 30 on their entire defense. Carlson just turned 30 and is playing best hockey of his career - and he’s oldest defender.

Vrana is young and now has gone 11 straight postseason games without a single point, let alone a goal. Kuzy is young and fast. Wilson is young and fast. Half their top 6 are fast. Ovi, Oshie, and backstrom are slower now - but none of them for years have relied on speed and still been productive.

the issue is the team doesn’t seem to have a game plan and when a team figured them out (like today) caps have no idea how to adjust.

11 even strength shots VS 20 for the islanders. 3-0 score advantage for islanders even strength. That’s due to islanders being so much better last 25 minutes of the game. Islanders adjusted and game completely changed last 25 minutes of game. You don’t give up 4 goals in 15 minutes or so by being old and slow. That was islanders just figuring caps out and making plays and easily shutting down the caps 5v5

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I don't see them winning this series, and if I'm right thats two straight first round exits to lower seeds with a Cup worthy roster.

Wretched.

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt after the Cup, but not paying Trotz was an egregious move that should result in firings.
Fire Ted who can’t pick a good coach for either of his teams?

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Reirden is just a terrible coach. Holtby was certainly awful in this game also, but the Caps were outshot 20-11 at 5v5 in the game. They had 3 HDCF compared to the Islanders 9. Their defensive zone structure is a mess as is their neutral zone coverage. How many odd man rushes did they give up compared to the Islanders? How the hell do you even give up an odd man rush on that Islanders 4th goal? Discipline has been an issue for this team the last two years which once again points to coaching. There are many teams still playing right now that are worse teams than the Caps, but I don’t think there’s another team that is as poorly coached. Reirden does nothing to make this team better. Even when they win in the regular season it is rarely ever in convincing fashion and is usually due to the talent on the roster. I mean, the last 3 months or so of the regular season was pretty pitiful to watch and with 5 months to contemplate how to change things, the team looks no different now, except their 5v5 offense has gone MIA now as well.

This is what is worrying. Yes things changed after that first bad Holtby goal. But really, it changed when the Isles stopped taking penalties. They really took it to us 5v5. And the bad Holtby goals were the symptoms of that and not the cause.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Lol it’s whatever, I was pissed at first but honestly in my lifetime I can only remember us making one series look easy and that was VGK.

Like when was the last time we swept a team?

The concept of losing game one is really meaningless in a series without real home/away.

I expect a bounce back game two. If we don’t see a motivated team after Backstrom goes down, they let 4 goals in, and Holtby shit the bed then this team is in need of a big time enema.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Normally I agree but this is not one game. It is almost two seasons of the same problems over and over again. Why do we think this team will all of a sudden flip a switch and play like they did in 2018?
This is a much different loss than any of the CAR ones. There are problems, but “the same problems”? Eh

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

Seriously, the only other time I can think of this happening, in all of sports, is Jerry firing Jimmy Johnson. Its unheard of to get rid of a coach who won you a championship that very season!

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Backstrom, ovi, etc will never make me too upset. Backstrom was underpaid for years and he has been a pleasure cheering for. If his contract is bad for 5 more years - so be it. He needs to retire a cap. Same with ovi.

same reason I won’t shit on Holtby. What he did to help caps win a cup I’ll never forget. I won’t just shit on him.

the issue is the coaching staff. Yes, team is old - but they don’t even have a guy over 30 on their entire defense. Carlson just turned 30 and is playing best hockey of his career - and he’s oldest defender.

Vrana is young and now has gone 11 straight postseason games without a single point, let alone a goal. Kuzy is young and fast. Wilson is young and fast. Half their top 6 are fast. Ovi, Oshie, and backstrom are slower now - but none of them for years have relied on speed and still been productive.

the issue is the team doesn’t seem to have a game plan and when a team figured them out (like today) caps have no idea how to adjust.

11 even strength shots VS 20 for the islanders. 3-0 score advantage for islanders even strength. That’s due to islanders being so much better last 25 minutes of the game. Islanders adjusted and game completely changed last 25 minutes of game. You don’t give up 4 goals in 15 minutes or so by being old and slow. That was islanders just figuring caps out and making plays and easily shutting down the caps 5v5
You give em up by having a terrible goalie though. Also when it comes to Vrana...i think he just flatout sucks. This needs to be said. Good regular season, alright but the guy barely has 10pts on his entire playoff record. He just disappears.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Frustrating loss.
Credit to the Isles for coming out and wearing the Caps down but up 2-0 Reirden should've known what to expect...they weren't gonna let up.
The effort wasn't there and neither were the legs as the game went on.
Losing Backstrom and not having Eller didn't help.
In terms of Holtby he started off well but made a few poor decisions with his positioning and puck control.
Find a Mitch Korn lookalike to tell Braden 'you can do it!'
Next game already seems like a must win. Caps better bring it.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Seriously, the only other time I can think of this happening, in all of sports, is Jerry firing Jimmy Johnson. Its unheard of to get rid of a coach who won you a championship that very season!
What firings? If only Ted told Maclellan to just shut the f*** up and re-sign Trotz Maclellan would have no choice but do that. But Ted is notorious for being cheap on coaches. He needs to fire himself first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad