GDT: The Trotz was forced outters @ The Trotz is a quitters, 3:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
BB was the funniest coach Caps have ever had since I started watching. His beet-red face when he became enraged still makes me laugh. It would get redder and redder as the game went on. I wouldn't mind him back in DC alongside Todd.

Reactions: RandyHolt

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I mean Samsonov literally lost his last 5 starts and lost all his starts in Jan and the one in Feb he had. He hasn’t won a game all year and he also was struggling a ton over his last 5-6 games.

Since start of new year it has been a bad trend. We have a goalie who has seemed way more lost under Reirden system - without Korn there to help.

We can blame Holtby - but the reason the Caps lost was they just were dominated by the Islanders 5v5 and are lucky the Islanders got so many penalties. If islanders play disciplined there’s a decent chance the Caps are shut out today.

Only way Caps win this series is if their stars play great even strength. Trotz will outcoach Reirden by miles - and of it comes down to just grind it out/system vs system/matchups - caps will be eliminated early.

however, even hall of fame coaches can’t stop superstar players. We need ovi to be great, Kuzy to be great, Carlson to be great, and Holtby to be better. Those guys can be difference makers - they just have to do it.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Gimme McMichael!

but seriously, does any other extra forward have top 6 offensive potential. We can't replace Backstrom with a grinder.

Last edited:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Would hire Boudreau or Gallant. BB obviously was already here but judging from advanced coaching statistics (which are not necessarily proven yet) he has a huge positive effect on his team.

The team won in spite of BB and not because of him. They had a huge talent advantage and won while playing a very undisciplined hockey. Everything from poor line changes to none stop three on twos. The country club mentality hurt more then it helped. Run and gun fun all season long. Only to have no answers in the playoffs as soon as things did not go well.

Reactions: Calicaps

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
And what score 5 goals a game to cover for holtby?
Perhaps you missed what Holtby has done since the return?

holtby just came off 3 games against the best teams in East with a .925 save percentage and under 2.5 gaa and caps still only won 1 of those 3.

You can hate holtby all you want - but if he’s just going to make you miserable and you don’t believe in him - why do you even watch? Holtby just 2 seasons ago helped the caps win a cup and was incredible in it: back to back shutouts vs Tampa in elimination games... came in and won 4 straight vs Columbus... made the greatest save in capitals history.... yet here you are just trashing him when caps weren’t going to win today when with great goaltending. You can’t get outshot 2 to 1 even strength and score 0 even strength goals in the playoffs and think you can win.

If you’re going to hate on holtby - there’s far more other player’s more conveying right now for the caps. Vrana, Carlson, Kuzy, Backstom, and even Ovechkin have all been poor since returning to play.

Reactions: Heath

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Gimme McMichael!

but seriously, does any other extra forward have top 6 offensive potential. We can't replace Backstrom with a grinder.
Now we might not have any choice. I still don't like that we gave up on Stephenson and kept Boyd instead. I don't think I have ever seen an NHL player fall down on the ice so much. His balance on his skates just from a bit of physical contact, is just terrible!

Reactions: um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Now we might not have any choice. I still don't like that we gave up on Stephenson and kept Boyd instead. I don't think I have ever seen an NHL player fall down on the ice so much. His balance on his skates just from a bit of physical contact, is just terrible!
hes got no slipperyness to him

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

holtby just came off 3 games against the best teams in East with a .925 save percentage and under 2.5 gaa and caps still only won 1 of those 3.

You can hate holtby all you want - but if he’s just going to make you miserable and you don’t believe in him - why do you even watch? Holtby just 2 seasons ago helped the caps win a cup and was incredible in it: back to back shutouts vs Tampa in elimination games... came in and won 4 straight vs Columbus... made the greatest save in capitals history.... yet here you are just trashing him when caps weren’t going to win today when with great goaltending. You can’t get outshot 2 to 1 even strength and score 0 even strength goals in the playoffs and think you can win.

If you’re going to hate on holtby - there’s far more other player’s more conveying right now for the caps. Vrana, Carlson, Kuzy, Backstom, and even Ovechkin have all been poor since returning to play.

Holtby on all 4 goals looked bad, mentally. 1st goal he did his annoying stabbing glove technique, but the trajectory of the puck slightly changed when the shot ramp up off of Carlson's stick blade. Holtby had completely positioned himself to glove the puck(today's goalie technique, goalies position themselves for possible strange bounces/deflections/redirects/rebounds, etc.

2nd goal Orlov did not do a good enough job boxing out Lee, but at the same time Holtby gave a terrible rebound because he thought he had trapped the initial shot in his body. I was already sensing Holtby would be fighting the puck the whole game.

3rd goal, Holtby traps the puck in his glove and decides to keep the play going(probably becuz the Caps are so atrocious on face-offs). Problem is he played it forward instead of behind the net. It was too laziness from Holtby, OV and Carlson.

4th goal, was a combo of a bad rebound and a Kempny taking the wrong man. I will add, the Caps center on the ice nowhere to be seen.

All these characteristics of Holtby were a carbon copy of how he played in Game 7, last season in the playoffs against the Canes.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
than he wouldn't be in training camp or in the bubble.

He is there for the experience. Guys like Kirill Kaprizov, Scott Perunovich, Alexander Romanov and Ian Mitchel. All signed to burn a year knowing they could not play in the bubble.

Last edited by a moderator:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He is there for the experience. Guys like Kirill Kaprizov, Scott Perunovich, Alexander Romanov and Ian Mitchel. All signed to burn a year knowing they could not play in the bubble.
McMichael was signed last fall so he's eligible unlike those players. I'm guessing with Eller back they'll just keep Boyd at 3C, though. Not ideal but I'm not sure CMM is ready to face a grinding team just yet. Maybe on the wing, if anything. Sprong over Kovalchuk is the more intriguing idea IMO but that won't happen either.

My expectations were pretty low coming into this series. I thought they played well enough in the first 39 minutes or whatever. They had better structure, perhaps in part because NYI was in the box so much early. But the rhythm and cohesion isn't really there and who knows if they'll work their way into it.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

FWIW, Holtby still saved less goals than an average goalie would be expected to save in those 3 games. The Caps defense was actually just pretty effective and limited chances.

The Caps were indeed terrible at 5v5 today but they were fine defensively, it had more to do with their complete lack of offense. All situation xG’s was 3.42-2.61 in favor of WSH. That number was 1.68-0.87 NYI at 5v5. Varlamov saved 1.42 more goals than expected overall while Holtby saved 1.39 less. At 5v5, Varlamov was +0.87 and Holtby was -1.32.

Bottom line, the Caps likely didn’t deserve to win based off their horrific 5v5 offense, but their PP put them in a position to steal the game, and Holtby did them no favors.

Reactions: crab

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Sprong over Kovalchuk is the more intriguing idea IMO but that won't happen either.

I was also thinking this, but it was pretty telling that they didn't dress Sprong at all during the round robins/exhibition. At least Fehervary got a game and Vanecek a period. I dont see them even trying anyone else unless its Maillet or Pinho in case our center depth gets worse.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
McMichael was signed last fall so he's eligible unlike those players. I'm guessing with Eller back they'll just keep Boyd at 3C, though. Not ideal but I'm not sure CMM is ready to face a grinding team just yet. Maybe on the wing, if anything. Sprong over Kovalchuk is the more intriguing idea IMO but that won't happen either.

My expectations were pretty low coming into this series. I thought they played well enough in the first 39 minutes or whatever. They had better structure, perhaps in part because NYI was in the box so much early. But the rhythm and cohesion isn't really there and who knows if they'll work their way into it.

If he signed last year you are correct. I really hope he gets some ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->