GDT: The Trotz was forced outters @ The Trotz is a quitters, 3:07pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

koalabear9301

Cero Miedo
May 9, 2016
Baltimore
I think not having our 2/3C hurt us a lot more than people here are realizing. Eller's coming back for next game, if Nick can't go then try someone other than Boyd at 3C. Not promising, but not panicking just yet.

Reactions: Calicaps

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
No matter how this playoffs turns out...man there are a lot of good free agent coaches available.
Would hire Boudreau or Gallant. BB obviously was already here but judging from advanced coaching statistics (which are not necessarily proven yet) he has a huge positive effect on his team.

Interesting to think of all the players who have left/came to WSH under Reirden and how they’ve performed. Stephenson has been miles better with VGK than he was in WSH. Jensen by all accounts has been much worse in WSH than he was in DET. Gudas was actually good in PHI and Niskanen was awful last year. Now the roles are reversed. Kovy was good in MTL under a solid system coach in Julien, now he looks awful. Dillon was a good defensive top 4 D in SJ, and in WSH he posted by far his worst advanced stats since he has become an NHL regular. Dowd and Hathaway have been good but that is a pretty concerning trend.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Holtby gives up four goals and you are pining for the guy who couldnt get out of the second round to save his life.
It's a wonder. Didn't before the Cup and didn't last year. Trotz has a sample size of decades and got lucky once. Reirden has a sample size of 1 and people are convinced he's hopeless. (He might end up being hopeless, but it's too soon to tell.)

And ya... They played strong for almost 40 minutes, then the Isles put on a bit of pressure late in the second (which is gonna happen and doesn't mean anything), Holtby folds like a lawn chair, and people are mad about the coaching. :dunno:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's a wonder. Didn't before the Cup and didn't last year. Trotz has a sample size of decades and got lucky once. Reirden has a sample size of 1 and people are convinced he's hopeless. (He might end up being hopeless, but it's too soon to tell.)

And ya... They played strong for almost 40 minutes, then the Isles put on a bit of pressure late in the second (which is gonna happen and doesn't mean anything), Holtby folds like a lawn chair, and people are mad about the coaching. :dunno:
Well I don't think this is a very well coached team. We don't play with any structure. Too much improvising, too much floating around.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Its a shame too, because for the little time they played together, it looked like Ovie-Backstrom-Oshie were going places in the beginning. I dont know where, but going somewhere.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Honestly....I’m starting to think that TR, at least perception-wise.....is like Gabby.......not charismatic, not super excitable, kinda too calm......

He’s not going to garner fan favor out of the gate.

For me, while he’s as responsible as anyone, he’s just too easy of a scapegoat when Holtby just pooped himself.

BTW welcome back....things were getting desperate around here! Lol....

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
This team needs a ball-buster of a coach and always has.

Ovechkin is invisible 5 on 5.

Kovalchuk straight up should not be playing.

And Vrana is essentially Luis Mendoza.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I missed this game which sucked. What sucked even more was that I just read every post in this thread. Wow, alot of whining and crying today.
It's one game. Yeah we lost, it sucks but I am not surprised.
This team has been pretty average all season.

SUMMARY:

“Hi all, I missed the game, but I love talking out of my ass, so buck up”

LOL ;)

I love our fans....(I say that not sarcastically, but I have had two Irish Coffees)....

Reactions: EroCaps

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Honestly....I’m starting to think that TR, at least perception-wise.....is like Gabby.......not charismatic, not super excitable, kinda too calm......

For me, while he’s as responsible as anyone, he’s just too easy of a scapegoat when Holtby just pooped himself.

Yeah I dont think Reirden is a bad coach per se, just an inexperienced one. Like he is still feeling things out, seeing what works and what doesn't, and how to exactly implement his coaching style all together. He's always said that he loves teaching the most, and now he's the one doing the learning.

Now whether that is a good fit for a team like this with high expectations is a valid question. But I also think that while the roster fits together well on paper, its not really a flexible one so it hinders his ability to make changes. Both strategic and personnel wise. This is a big playoffs for him.

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This team needs a ball-buster of a coach and always has.

Ovechkin is invisible 5 on 5.

Kovalchuk straight up should not be playing. He's the hockey equivalent of Joe Biden.

And Vrana is essentially Luis Mendoza.

Who are you playing over Kovy?

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Shorthanded goal in the playoffs? That's embarrassing. Blowing the lead? That's embarrassing. That shows that our players aren't playing like they should, while theirs are playing above their head. Our coach is worse than theirs. No excuses

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Watched hI lights of this game and Holtby did look bad on that first goal. Maybe it went off Carlson stick, didn't look like it though.
The other goals I wouldn't blame on Holtby. Not even the goal when Holtby tried to play the puck to Ovie. Both Ovie and Carlson were floating back. Did anyone think Holtby should have just held on to the puck while we were on the PP. Not normally what you want.
I did notice that Kempny looked like total crap again. And Vrana just doesn't try on the back check.
But I do agree that Holtby needs to be better.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
Watched hI lights of this game and Holtby did look bad on that first goal. Maybe it went off Carlson stick, didn't look like it though.
The other goals I wouldn't blame on Holtby. Not even the goal when Holtby tried to play the puck to Ovie. Both Ovie and Carlson were floating back. Did anyone think Holtby should have just held on to the puck while we were on the PP. Not normally what you want.
I did notice that Kempny looked like total crap again. And Vrana just doesn't try on the back check.
But I do agree that Holtby needs to be better.
Lol the third goal was 1000% percent on holtby

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Thanks!

(Also, I'd hardly call Gabby not charismatic or excitable.)

Reactions: g00n
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->