OT: The Travel Thread

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm headed back on Tuesday.

You're right, I've been enjoying myself a great deal while here. Maybe even a little too much because I just woke up and am still feeling exhausted from all the partying I've done for the last week. :laugh:
Traffic is the only annoying part of Bangkok for me, otherwise it's awesome.
How's been your culinary experience there? Tried Gaggan? They did an episode about it in Chef's Table on netflix.
I think my time in Hong Kong is nearing its end and I'm gonna look for a job in BKK.

Viggo Mortensen

Gandalf the Grey
Dec 14, 2008
Gondor
Make sure you visit the Old Town. Just take a stroll through it and enjoy yourself. Find a small wine bar and sample local red wines (some of the best in the world). Make sure you have at least one meal at any of the khinkali houses (khinkali is a local variation of a soup dumpling; lamb is the filling you want to go for most of all). Take a sulphur bath to relax. Visit Mtatsminda Park to get a great view of the entire city.

Are you confined to Tbilisi only while in Georgia? Because, if not, you must visit Vardzia. It's one of the most breathtaking sights I've ever seen anywhere.

P.S. Oh, and watch out for "chacha" (local spirit that can be as strong as 60% ABV). That will put you on your ass quicker than you think! Georgians are very serious when it comes to drinking rituals. If someone offers you a shot of chacha it is considered an insult to turn it down. The peer pressure applied to one to keep drinking is immense. Don't say I didn't warn you. :laugh:

Many thanks for that! Will definitely try to get this done. I'm not confined to Tbilisi but I'm in Georgia for 3-4days so I wasn't planning on leaving the city. Also not sure how I'd travel that far outside of town.

Dont get me started on drinking rituals haha. I've been peer pressured into multiple vodka glasses while in Kiev. And vodka's not 60%. I'll be careful not to fall into a game! Thanks for the warning

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was born in Tbilisi and spent first 9 years of my life there. While that was back in the 80's, and things have changed drastically since, I could confidently tell you that it's a beautiful place to experience. I've been back about 3 years ago and will be going again this summer.

What makes you say that? It's a very popular tourist destination these days with wonderful sights. There are no safety concerns visiting Tbilisi outside of common sense one should always apply while traveling.

Guess I watch too much BBC news. I suppose the recent history and how things went down there years ago takes the luster off. I'm not even sure if I'm permitted to visit there,have to inform myself .

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I was born in Tbilisi and spent first 9 years of my life there. While that was back in the 80's, and things have changed drastically since, I could confidently tell you that it's a beautiful place to experience. I've been back about 3 years ago and will be going again this summer.

What is the fastest and "cheapest" (generally speaking) way to get there from YUL? I would like to go and spend a few weeks there within next couple of years.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Traffic is the only annoying part of Bangkok for me, otherwise it's awesome.
How's been your culinary experience there? Tried Gaggan? They did an episode about it in Chef's Table on netflix.
I think my time in Hong Kong is nearing its end and I'm gonna look for a job in BKK.
I've been eating very well while here, but I haven't visited a single conventional restaurant yet. Been eating exclusively in the streets from the food stands. You know those low ass plastic stools you get to sit on, often without even a table in front of you? That's the life! :laugh:

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
What is the fastest and "cheapest" (generally speaking) way to get there from YUL? I would like to go and spend a few weeks there within next couple of years.
My last visit we connected at CDG. Don't remember how much I paid for the airfare now, but CDG is my least favourite aiport to connect at in the entire world (garbage attitudes, service, food, etc.). If you can avoid connecting there I suggest you should. Easier said than done however, as CDG is one of the top connection spots when flying from YUL to Europe and beyond.

This time around we have to fly through SVO Moscow (visiting distant relatives I've never met before), so it was not really about looking for the cheapest flight available. We paid around $1,500 CAD per ticket.

I think if you could score a round trip to TBS and back for around $1,100 CAD any time between late spring and early fall you should go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: lo striver

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I've been eating very well while here, but I haven't visited a single conventional restaurant yet. Been eating exclusively in the streets from the food stands. You know those low ass plastic stools you get to sit on, often without even a table in front of you? That's the life! :laugh:
Hell ya. When I go with my buddies we try to go in the back alleys to find these local legit foodies. The flavors man! Thai food is so good.

Reactions: jaffy27 and cphabs

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've been drinking and eating non-stop for the last week or so in Bangkok, Thailand. This city never sleeps seemingly. Until 3-4AM there are plenty of food vendors in the streets and beer is flowing. It's all cheap as dirt as well.

This is my first time in Southern Thailand. I still prefer Chiang Mai, but Bangkok isn't bad by any means.

Chiang Mai sounds quite nice,and safer than Burma or Laos. Got sucked in to going to Phuket years ago and after seeing Jakarta,not interested about Bangkok if similar.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Sunny days! just back from the 'shops,coffee that is. lol. Hanging at my buds place,just missing the tulips.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
In 3 days I am heading out for ~6 months of flying researchers/lunatic tourists/everyone in between, in Churchill, MB. If anyone has been, do tell. I've been lucky enough to spend time skiing in Alaska but otherwise, haven't ever been close to that far north before. Will be a crazy time - I'll post some photos of polar bears and life in the sub-arctic when I have the chance.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Chiang Mai sounds quite nice,and safer than Burma or Laos. Got sucked in to going to Phuket years ago and after seeing Jakarta,not interested about Bangkok if similar.

Laos is not dangerous. It's quite sleepy, low-key, and charming in fact.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
In 3 days I am heading out for ~6 months of flying researchers/lunatic tourists/everyone in between, in Churchill, MB. If anyone has been, do tell. I've been lucky enough to spend time skiing in Alaska but otherwise, haven't ever been close to that far north before. Will be a crazy time - I'll post some photos of polar bears and life in the sub-arctic when I have the chance.

Hope for you that you see the bears from a protected vehicle. Possibly the most dangerous land animal.
Bring your mosquito mesh hat,this time of year is f-n annoying. Please tell me you fish? best places are up North,makes friends with some Inuit and you'll be able to fish on their waters,or hunt if that's your groove. I'm not a hunter,but went a few times with the gang,hunt from a chopper for caribou and a boat for belugas. You'd thinks it's lawless,but the natives have perks,understandably.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm looking for some small harbors in the Ionian where they have some tavernans. Will be passing through the Corinth canal and hit Kefalonia first. Apparently I'm gonna learn how to sail proper,should be dangerous!. lol. Have never piloted a behemoth 50' footer sailboat,but how hard can it be? At least he's got diving gear aboard and fishing equipment,should be hot!

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Hope for you that you see the bears from a protected vehicle. Possibly the most dangerous land animal.
Bring your mosquito mesh hat,this time of year is f-n annoying. Please tell me you fish? best places are up North,makes friends with some Inuit and you'll be able to fish on their waters,or hunt if that's your groove. I'm not a hunter,but went a few times with the gang,hunt from a chopper for caribou and a boat for belugas. You'd thinks it's lawless,but the natives have perks,understandably.

I’ll mostly be seeing them from my helicopter, sure hoping that I won’t encounter any on foot! I’ve spent a lot of time in the bush in and around bears, but polar bears will be a new experience. Had some grizzly and cougar run ins over the years which always keeps that healthy fear in your belly. And you reminded me of something crucial - very excited for the angling up there!

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I’ll mostly be seeing them from my helicopter, sure hoping that I won’t encounter any on foot! I’ve spent a lot of time in the bush in and around bears, but polar bears will be a new experience. Had some grizzly and cougar run ins over the years which always keeps that healthy fear in your belly. And you reminded me of something crucial - very excited for the angling up there!

If you're flying in and out of Churchill pretty safe to say you'll eventually see some even in the summer.
Over in Nunavut the communities have alarms when a bear is spotted,time to get indoors!
Interestingly enough though that polar bears have the fewest fatalities attached to them.
Grizzly and cougars run ins would get my bowels a running.

Had my share of animal encounters thank you very much.

Not sure what permits are needed in Churchill but in Quebec have to get salmon tags in case.

Reactions: covfefe

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
If you're flying in and out of Churchill pretty safe to say you'll eventually see some even in the summer.
Over in Nunavut the communities have alarms when a bear is spotted,time to get indoors!
Interestingly enough though that polar bears have the fewest fatalities attached to them.
Grizzly and cougars run ins would get my bowels a running.

Had my share of animal encounters thank you very much.

Not sure what permits are needed in Churchill but in Quebec have to get salmon tags in case.

No doubt! Cheers angus...off to Churchill today. Let’s hope for some good Habs developments by the time I am outta there.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
No doubt! Cheers angus...off to Churchill today. Let’s hope for some good Habs developments by the time I am outta there.
Flew there many times.......was based in Thompson in the late 1990’s

Safe flight (Calm Air?)

You should make it in time to catch tomorrow’s activities

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Flew there many times.......was based in Thompson in the late 1990’s

Safe flight (Calm Air?)

You should make it in time to catch tomorrow’s activities

Hah, no way. I am indeed on calm air. Driving to the Thompson airport today from Saskatoon. (I am also a pilot)

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Hah, no way. I am indeed on calm air. Driving to the Thompson airport today from Saskatoon. (I am also a pilot)
Haha.....got my first start out of Nelson House.....then to Thompson....Borekk....now a 767 Captain

Keep er up bro!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad