OT: The Travel Thread

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Flew there many times.......was based in Thompson in the late 1990’s

Safe flight (Calm Air?)

You should make it in time to catch tomorrow’s activities

Finally, our favourite pilot contributes to the Travel thread.

Ok, who paid him? :D

Reactions: groovejuice

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Bolivia looks absolutely stunning but I'd rather go there by car over landing style.

Driving to Bolivia from Montreal and back will probably cost you more on fuel than if flying,no?
Andes are very picturesque though,very nice to see. You can really feel the effects of the higher altitude.

Another spectacular drive is from Windhoek in Namibia to the Okavango Delta in Botswana with a camper. Unbelievable wildlife and nerve racking at times. lol.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Driving to Bolivia from Montreal and back will probably cost you more on fuel than if flying,no?
Andes are very picturesque though,very nice to see. You can really feel the effects of the higher altitude.

Another spectacular drive is from Windhoek in Namibia to the Okavango Delta in Botswana with a camper. Unbelievable wildlife and nerve racking at times. lol.
Yes, its probably a bit more expensive than flying, but given that Id sleep in the car too and see plenty of land, its well worth it. I think, back in 2014 I did the whole canadian north east with my old JKU and It was something like 800 or 900 on gas alone. Anyway, Im far from that still, Ill need to buy another overlanding rig in the near future. But its not in my plan now.

biggus doggus

Sep 28, 2017
You can't drive from North America to South America. The highway stops in Panama and there are no roads that connect Panama and Colombia. You can put your car on a shipping container in Panama City and ship it to Cartagena, Colombia, and then fly into Colombia, but this option sounds like quite the hassle.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
You can't drive from North America to South America. The highway stops in Panama and there are no roads that connect Panama and Colombia. You can put your car on a shipping container in Panama City and ship it to Cartagena, Colombia, and then fly into Colombia, but this option sounds like quite the hassle.

Nothing like a small inconvenience shipping your vehicle ahead. Not to mention driving through MS 13 territory as a gringo to boot. You'll make as many friends going to Karachi and looking to buy a Christmas tree. Be warned....and armed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nothing like a small inconvenience shipping your vehicle ahead. Not to mention driving through MS 13 territory as a gringo to boot. You'll make as many friends going to Karachi and looking to buy a Christmas tree. Be warned....and armed.
A friend of mine drove all the way down with his wife on their brand new BMW bike, they lost everything but their passports while getting mugged at gun point and machete in Guatemala.

A lot of people have done the whole crossing without anything too bad happening to them though, MS13 is mostly media driven hype.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Note that driving the Darien has been done by a few but it requires air drops, and quite the machines and engineers/mechanics to get by :laugh: Story of a lifetime.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A friend of mine drove all the way down with his wife on their brand new BMW bike, they lost everything but their passports while getting mugged at gun point and machete in Guatemala.

A lot of people have done the whole crossing without anything too bad happening to them though, MS13 is mostly media driven hype.

The machete is the preferred instrument of intimation on a global scale where guns are harder to obtain.Definitely intimidating but guns that pop out of nowhere really tighten up that sphincter

Your friends are lucky to have escaped with their lives. You have no idea who you're dealing with is some areas. MS 13 is not under hyped, they are ruthless and a reason why so many and fleeing north to the wall.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The machete is the preferred instrument of intimation on a global scale where guns are harder to obtain.Definitely intimidating but guns that pop out of nowhere really tighten up that sphincter

Your friends are lucky to have escaped with their lives. You have no idea who you're dealing with is some areas. MS 13 is not under hyped, they are ruthless and a reason why so many and fleeing north to the wall.
Heh, MS13 is just a gang, theyre not different than any other gang in any other parts of the world. Thats right wing propaganda.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Heh, MS13 is just a gang, theyre not different than any other gang in any other parts of the world. Thats right wing propaganda.

MS 13 has spread thru out many parts of the world,no longer exclusive of Central America.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Just booked my flight for Dar El Salam nest spring.

Looking for a quick 4-5 night resort vacation for my sons first trip this fall, was thinking of costa rica

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just booked my flight for Dar El Salam nest spring.

Looking for a quick 4-5 night resort vacation for my sons first trip this fall, was thinking of costa rica

Nice fishing there,hope you get a chance to get to Zanzibar. 4,5 days in CR is probably not enough,all depending intentions.

ClasslessGuy

May 10, 2010
Chelsea, QC
Nice fishing there,hope you get a chance to get to Zanzibar. 4,5 days in CR is probably not enough,all depending intentions.

Yes I know for CR, but it's going to be my first trip with my son (he'll be almost 5) for the price I should probably bring him to a cheaper south destination

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So, it look like it might be spain.

As a man that loves history, architecture and archeology Ive never really thought of Spain, how is it ?

Also, Im quite the outdoorsman, love a good adventure, obviously theres famous mountain ranges there, whats a cant miss?

Its crazy, I always had a facination with Europe but I never really even considered Spain as an equal to Germany, England, France and others.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

As a man that loves history, architecture and archeology Ive never really thought of Spain, how is it ?

Also, Im quite the outdoorsman, love a good adventure, obviously theres famous mountain ranges there, whats a cant miss?

Its crazy, I always had a facination with Europe but I never really even considered Spain as an equal to Germany, England, France and others.

A friend of mine loved Barça. I believed he lived there for almost 6 months. Wine and beer were cheap and people are pretty chill. People usually go out and have dinner at like 7pm+. I know some more people who went to Barcelona and also had a great time visiting. It really looked like an awesome city!

On a side note... It's been 10 years since I last traveled. My parents are now retired and they've been travelling a lot over the last 2 years (mostly big USA cities for now though aside from their usual Mexico trip). They also went to France for a week 2 years ago. My mom who never really traveled much aside from Mexico/Dominican Republic loved it! Now she wishes that my brother and I join them for a trip across the Atlantic. They wish to go to Tunisa but I'm not sure I want to go there. I'd probably like Spain like you do... or Germany/Austria, Italy, Sweden/Denmark, ...

I've only really traveled once in Ireland. It's funny how I totally forgot that it could have been raining for 8 days straight.. but instead we got 7 sunny days ._.
(I forgot to bring/buy an umbrella or any rain coat/clothes)

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yes I know for CR, but it's going to be my first trip with my son (he'll be almost 5) for the price I should probably bring him to a cheaper south destination

Costa rica doesn't have the nicest beaches if that's what you're after. Cayo Largo in Cuba has great shallow beaches.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Spain is fine. Europe opens the doors to so many places. Heard the El camino trail is great for a hike.

If you like to bike,even more opportunities.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just a reminder, heed the warning flags on beaches. Got burnt not noticing the flags in the past,and yet again didn't pay attention to them. Kontogialos beach in Kerkira has to be one of the worst I've ever seen,such tremendous under tow,think I'd learn being there before. Before you know it,out to sea! Tons of hot babes around though, and shot a decent score at their GCC.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just a reminder, heed the warning flags on beaches. Got burnt not noticing the flags in the past,and yet again didn't pay attention to them. Kontogialos beach in Kerkira has to be one of the worst I've ever seen,such tremendous under tow,think I'd learn being there before. Before you know it,out to sea! Tons of hot babes around though, and shot a decent score at their GCC.

GCC as in Global Climate Change? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad