Pre-Game Talk: The Toronto Maple Leafs vs San Jose Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Im not sure what you expect from a 3rd stringer, but they are typically in the same quality.

You can make the argument that a 1 game sample is the same as 8, but it isn't and while small, it shows he's more than capable of having a good performance.

If you are clinging that 8 games isn't enough of a sample size as you're only argument that he sucks, in his last 29 games (since being acquired by the Leafs) he's sporting a .919 save percentage and a 2.43 GAA. If we remove the 1 game that he played for the Avs in the regular season, he's at .906%.
The thing with Hutchinson is when he's on he's decent enough but when he struggles he's brutal.
I'm not a fan at all, never have been.
That said he should be good enough to win this one tonight.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Playing the odds, you'd think you have better chance of , at least, splitting the two games if you play your better goalie tonight...and over 82 games I'm going to play the odds as much as possible.
The odds would also say that toronto should win tonight, Hutchinson or not and should win tomorrow with Campbell.
4/4 is better than 2/4

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why???
Remember 1967......being too soft on players has not worked for too long...Soupy cannot play 2 games in a row in week one??? Really!

We're already up against the cap and had to have some random kid backup as goalie for us the other night. If soupy gets hurt we are royally f***ed.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He is not the back up. He did not make the team.
I would only play him in second game if Campbell gets 50 + shots in first game

He is the back up for now.

Sounds like your strategy would be to ride Campbell for the entire length of Mrazek's injury. Can't say I think that is a very intelligent approach.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
This is not a must win game but it is a must score game, lol.

A must win game wouldn't happen this early in the season unless Leafs suddenly lost about 5 plus games in a row.... isn't there a team that's done that this year already... :naughty::nod:

In all seriousness... I expect at least 4 or 5 goals tonight. Breakout game for the Leafs.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He is the back up for now.

Sounds like your strategy would be to ride Campbell for the entire length of Mrazek's injury. Can't say I think that is a very intelligent approach.

It's not considering Campbell's tendency to wear down over long stretches. Not all goalies can be workhorses.

Hutch was pretty solid last year so hopefully the nightmares of the previous season are over for him.

Reactions: egd27

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
It is a much produce game for a couple of players who need to get on track.
Fan dissatisfaction continues to grow. At some point it will reach high enough that’s someone in MLSE starts to take notice

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It is a much produce game for a couple of players who need to get on track.
Fan dissatisfaction continues to grow. At some point it will reach high enough that’s someone in MLSE starts to take notice

What are you basing that on?

Reactions: francis246

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
With all the complaining around here I can only imagine what it'd be like if we started 1-3 of some instead of 2-1-1.

Anywho, anyone know why the game is at 6?

Reactions: bax

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
2nd night of a back to back, 3rd game in 4 nights hopefully the sharks come out a little sluggish and the Leafs can jump on them since they have had 3 days off

I think it’s more likely the other way around. They’ll come out stronger and then later in the game it’ll hit their legs more and they’ll slow down.

Leafs might start sluggish because they’ve have three days off

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Why???
Remember 1967......being too soft on players has not worked for too long...Soupy cannot play 2 games in a row in week one??? Really!

Do you really believe this is a Leafs only situation? Why did San Jose start their backup last night?

Reactions: stickty111

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
What are you basing that on?
Myself, fellow fans that I know, general unrest in the media……..yes I understand that the media is the media but generally if there is no market for their narrative it would dry up pretty quick.
Attendance is down so far for the leaf home games.
There is very widespread ridicule on social media about the Leafs success lately and the only way to stop that is for the Leafs to succeed.
Make no mistake about it social media has a profound effect on business and life……unfortunately.
Only time will tell if I’m right or not

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

Honestly, I recognize there are tough spots in the schedule everywhere and for every team. I also am aware that back to back's are inevitable in an 82 game season, and once again, every team deals with them, including our opponent tonight. But could this shit not have been avoided to some degree? Like could the B2B's not been held within Canada, or on an American road swing? Just seems entirely avoidable IMO. I recognize scheduling conflicts with concerts and the NBA, but it just seems like an under sight with COVID still being very much a thing. just hard that the Leafs have to play B2B, come in late, deal with what could potentially be longer than normal delays, and then play a Pitt team on what will be 3 days rest. this B2B with crossing the border/clearing customs scenario looks like its going to happen another 4 more times this year. I doubt that same disadvantage is there for TB, FLA, and BOS.

Obviously this is a massively biased opinion, I just don't understand why this couldn't have been avoided

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Honestly, I recognize there are tough spots in the schedule everywhere and for every team. I also am aware that back to back's are inevitable in an 82 game season, and once again, every team deals with them, including our opponent tonight. But could this shit not have been avoided to some degree? Like could the B2B's not been held within Canada, or on an American road swing? Just seems entirely avoidable IMO. I recognize scheduling conflicts with concerts and the NBA, but it just seems like an under sight with COVID still being very much a thing. just hard that the Leafs have to play B2B, come in late, deal with what could potentially be longer than normal delays, and then play a Pitt team on what will be 3 days rest. this B2B and crossing the border scenario looks like its going to happen another 4 more times this year. I doubt that same disadvantage is there for TB, FLA, and BOS.

Obviously this is a massively biased opinion, I just don't understand why this couldn't have been avoided

Leafs have a very weird schedule to start the year. Starting the season with a back to back is super weird already, make that 2 back2backs in a week is even weirder and like you said, one being the first time we play outside of Canada since the pandemic.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
A must win game wouldn't happen this early in the season unless Leafs suddenly lost about 5 plus games in a row.... isn't there a team that's done that this year already... :naughty::nod:

In all seriousness... I expect at least 4 or 5 goals tonight. Breakout game for the Leafs.

There's gonna be must win games closer to game 65-70, let's just try and get those points in the bag now so we're not in a difficult situation down the stretch. Hoping that's the mentality this group has. 2 points are 2 points, doesn't matter if they come in game 1, game 10 or game 82, they're all worth the same. Play with that kind of mindset from the beginning.

Reactions: Burnie97

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Why???

It's called workload management. It's not a question of a player being soft or hard. You manage your starting goalie's playing time throughout the year to ensure he's not burnt out come playoff time. No team in the league is running the same goalie on the back to back nights without some sort of emergency situation.

I don't actually remember 1967 since I was not born yet. It's 2021 now, you'd do well adjust to the times there Billy boy.

Reactions: stickty111

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Current top 5 in the league stats for underlying team differentials (All situations):

Corsi:
1. Bruins
2. Flames
3. Sabres
4. Leafs
5. Kings

Shots:
1. Bruins
2. Leafs
3. Sabres
4. Wild
5. Flames

Expected Goals:
1. Sabres
2. Pens
3. Leafs
4. Oilers
5. Bruins

Just keep it up and the goals will go in and the wins will come.

I knew the Atlantic would be tough this year, just didn't count on the Sabres being one of the teams to beat! (I know they will probably fall off but still)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad